Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP Tires after 68k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Just hit 68,000 miles on factory Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Elect (Rear 275/35 R21 103W; Front 255/35 R21 98W) and it's time for new tires. I'd like to note that 87% of the mileage is highway driving and tread is still decent.

Trying to decide between throwing on the same Pirelli tires or switching to Michelin. The Michelin option is Pilot Sport 4 All-Season for $1,800 from Costco or new Pirelli from Tesla at $2,400. I also have an option to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Summer from Costco.

I'd like to stick with the original since getting 68k miles is insane, but can't ignore the $600 cost difference.

Questions are:
1. I think the Pirelli are considered "Summer tires" vs. the Michelin are all-season? Am I going to notice a difference?
2. The Pirellis have "T1" which I think means they're designed to Tesla specs?

My goal is to get as close to same mileage as I just did. I live in the south, so warm weather almost all year (no specific need for all season).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: JonBap
87% highway? I guess that's the secret. 86% or below, and the life of the tire drops dramatically... 🤣

I'm curious. Do you live adjacent to all your "highway" driving? Do you ever punch the throttle, or do you always just idle up to highway speed? Do you routinely travel the speed limit?

What's your lifetime wh/mile?

You are correct. Getting 68k miles from performance 21" tires is insane. How often did you have the suspension aligned?

Reactions: dratcl
87% highway? I guess that's the secret. 86% or below, and the life of the tire drops dramatically... 🤣

I'm curious. Do you live adjacent to all your "highway" driving? Do you ever punch the throttle, or do you always just idle up to highway speed? Do you routinely travel the speed limit?

You are correct. Getting 68k miles from performance 21" tires is insane. How often did you have the suspension aligned?
🤣
68k...just did a rough calc based on work commute over last 2.5 years.
Yes, live 2 miles from highway and office is 2 miles off highway. Also haven't been kind to tires, I attempt to get the 3.5 seconds to 60mph as often as possible. Average speed is over 80mph on highway.
No alignments to date - drives straight as an arrow. Never experienced anything like this with prior vehicles.

Reactions: JonBap

Oh, and 324 wh/mile since delivery.

At 68k miles, no doubt your alignment has changed, as spring/struts break in and relax.

When you get new tires, it's customary to have the alignment checked. Ask them NOT to modify the settings, and get a printout from them and post it here.

Reactions: QtownTaxiGreg
1. I think the Pirelli are considered "Summer tires" vs. the Michelin are all-season? Am I going to notice a difference?
I think you'll notice the difference. All season tires will be made of a softer compound and will probably have a quieter and smoother ride and will most likely be more efficient but if you care about getting the most out of the performance, you'll want to go with the stickier P Zeroes.

Reactions: MYPDailyDriver
Agreed - don't touch your alignment. I can almost guarantee it will show as "needing" one - but you probably don't.

How much tread was left? Bald? Cords?
@ucmndd
First 3 pics are rear driver side
Second 2 pics are front driver side
No cords on any tires

The “egg” on front driver tire is what’s most concerning

These look much better than another pic on this forum. Dude was driving on river rafting tubes they were so slick 😂

Attachments

• IMG_8804.jpeg
    IMG_8804.jpeg
    933.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8806.jpeg
    IMG_8806.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8807.jpeg
    IMG_8807.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8808.jpeg
    IMG_8808.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: ucmndd
drives straight as an
Definitely broken then!
I can almost guarantee it will show as "needing" one -
Yup.

Factory alignment is set to chew up tyres but make you safer fanging around corners. Regular MY is similar.

I really, really want to see your alignment check printout!

I need my brand new car sorted. It has a slight pull to the right which shows as a smidgeon of extra wear to the front inside edge after 500 miles. I am betting the left side has an extra special dollop of toe and gets straightened out.

And, yeah, you egg! Get new tyres right away!