Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 S Plaid - Bumper Damage - Repair or Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A careless driver rear ended me (low speed) and my rear bumper was deformed.

Any ideas on repair or replace?

Thanks
IMG_6982.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6980.jpeg
    IMG_6980.jpeg
    563.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6983.jpeg
    IMG_6983.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_6985.jpeg
    IMG_6985.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6986.jpeg
    IMG_6986.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6987.jpeg
    IMG_6987.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 169
If it is all just the bumper, have Tesla order the bumper painted and let them install it. Then have the guy pay you cash. Would hate to involve insurance on it.

Some of those scratches look hard to just "repair".
Thanks for the insight.

I did call Tesla, but they told me to contact their certified shop, and the shop gave me a quote for around 3.5k (bumper and diffuser replacement).
Not sure why Tesla don't do it themselves nowadays.

The guy told me he prefers not going through insurance, but I don't know if he wants to pay 3.5k. If the insurance end up pays, would that count as accident report?

Thanks for the insight.

I did call Tesla, but they told me to contact their certified shop, and the shop gave me a quote for around 3.5k (bumper and diffuser replacement).
Not sure why Tesla don't do it themselves nowadays.

The guy told me he prefers not going through insurance, but I don't know if he wants to pay 3.5k. If the insurance end up pays, would that count as accident report?
You are not at fault and should always go through insurance so they can represent you. There is no guarantee the other driver will pay, and if they flake then you have a problem. You pay a lot for insurance, let them manage it.

Reactions: mcirish
If you claim it against insurance, yes it will end up as a report on the car history. Technically, the auto body could still report it, but that is less likely. But @SoCal Buzz makes a valid point - if the person flakes, you are left holding the full cost of the repairs. You could agree to have the at fault driver meet you at the body shop and pay for the work at drop-off (body shop will be happy with this) or get a cashiers check from the driver. If neither of those routes work, then you would need to go through insurance and let them fight it for you.

If you claim it against insurance, yes it will end up as a report on the car history. Technically, the auto body could still report it, but that is less likely. But @SoCal Buzz makes a valid point - if the person flakes, you are left holding the full cost of the repairs. You could agree to have the at fault driver meet you at the body shop and pay for the work at drop-off (body shop will be happy with this) or get a cashiers check from the driver. If neither of those routes work, then you would need to go through insurance and let them fight it for you.
Got it. Thank you guys!

Just sent him the quote yesterday, and if he says he'll pay, I'll make sure he pays everything beforehand.

Well, on the other side of the coin, a car stopped unexpectedly in front of me, and I deformed HIS bumper. It was just a scratch, something I would have buffed out or used some touch up paint on, but he wanted a whole new bumper. I, too, wanted to leave insurance out of it, and it cost me.

What bothers me is that so many people are so eager to put their cars in new condition after a bump, when usually the car is NOT new and has scratches in other places, OR IT WILL HAVE soon enough. I have a slight dent in my bumper right now. Since I put it there, it's just going to sit until some sucker hits me, and then I'll soak them. No, really, if you'd put the dent there yourself, what would you do? Let it ride, or get it repaired? I'd buff out what little damage I see in your picture. Most body shops could fix it up easily while you wait.

Well, on the other side of the coin, a car stopped unexpectedly in front of me, and I deformed HIS bumper. It was just a scratch, something I would have buffed out or used some touch up paint on, but he wanted a whole new bumper. I, too, wanted to leave insurance out of it, and it cost me.

What bothers me is that so many people are so eager to put their cars in new condition after a bump, when usually the car is NOT new and has scratches in other places, OR IT WILL HAVE soon enough. I have a slight dent in my bumper right now. Since I put it there, it's just going to sit until some sucker hits me, and then I'll soak them. No, really, if you'd put the dent there yourself, what would you do? Let it ride, or get it repaired? I'd buff out what little damage I see in your picture. Most body shops could fix it up easily while you wait.
Buff out including this?

Attachments

• 002ECDE0-864D-4E19-A412-15BB90B0E0A0.jpeg
    002ECDE0-864D-4E19-A412-15BB90B0E0A0.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 153
OMG just realized you drove a 2019 M550, is it white as well? I had a white M550 before buying this model S.

How does this thing turn out for you? How long did you wait for the spare bumper to be available? I am in the exact same situation(rear bumper and diffuser are damaged) but unfortunately rear ended by an non-insured driver without drivers license. My insurance company allow me to claim the accident under uninsured motorist coverage and waived my collision deductible. Scheduled an appointment with tesla certified body shop for quote but they warned me the wait time is going to be very long!!
IMG_8489.jpg

For a bumper cover type "accident" that goes through insurance and shows up on carfax? In the past, I made sure to keep lots of photos of the damage. When I then went to sell the car privately? The buyers clearly saw it was bumper cover only type damage, and they still paid full asking price

Reactions: Predation
Reading through this old thread. Wife got bumped and there’s a dent in the bumper.
Her car is solid black with stealth ppf on it.
How is the factory pre-painter bumper for black? Any blending needed? Would like to not have to peel back the other qtr panel and rear deck ppf to blend.

Hoping to just get a factory repainted bumper and re-ppf. Hopefully the ppf isn’t off from the rest of the body.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Reading through this old thread. Wife got bumped and there’s a dent in the bumper.
Her car is solid black with stealth ppf on it.
How is the factory pre-painter bumper for black? Any blending needed? Would like to not have to peel back the other qtr panel and rear deck ppf to blend.

Hoping to just get a factory repainted bumper and re-ppf. Hopefully the ppf isn’t off from the rest of the body.
They replaced rear bumper on my previous black M3 and it looked like brand new and no blending needed. Bumper took awhile to come in but was a day replacement once in hand.

They replaced rear bumper on my previous black M3 and it looked like brand new and no blending needed. Bumper took awhile to come in but was a day replacement once in hand.
Good to know. Did you have stealth ppf? I’m afraid the ppf will be off, but at this point, I’d rather live with that than let the at fault party off the hook insurance wise. **** these people who take off after an incident.