Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.12.9 Can Anyone Interpret This Feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Stopping Mode is now set to "Creep" by default."

My car is set to "Hold" by me and it stays that way unless I choose to change it.
Then don’t factory reset your car and it won’t change the setting. Or if you do need to factory reset your car for whatever reason then just change it back to hold.

This may not even be applicable worldwide and could be related to the Chinese recall of changing regen/1 pedal behavior for cars in China.

My Model Y is getting 2023.12.9 right now.

Regarding this "factory reset", that isn't the same as a standard car reboot which you do by simply holding down both rotary buttons on the steering wheel, is it? Because if the car resets to Creep Mode every time I reboot the car I'll be perturbed...

My Model Y is getting 2023.12.9 right now.

Regarding this "factory reset", that isn't the same as a standard car reboot which you do by simply holding down both rotary buttons on the steering wheel, is it? Because if the car resets to Creep Mode every time I reboot the car I'll be perturbed...
Factory reset is completely erasing all the settings to put it back to factory. Like factory resetting your phone.

Reactions: BitJam and Mengy
"Creep" is what it feels like driving an automatic transmission in an ICE. When you release the brake from a stop light, the car creeps forward without you having to touch the gas pedal.

Creep turned off, is like driving a manual transmission in an ICE. When you release the brake from a stop light, the car sits still, until you press the accelerator. Lots of people prefer Creep if they are used to Automatic transmissions. I historically have driven manuals, so I much prefer to have Creep off, as I like to be in control so the car only "goes" once I tell it to.

Creep turned off, is like driving a manual transmission in an ICE. When you release the brake from a stop light, On A Level Surface, the car sits still, until you press the accelerator.

FTFY.

If manual cars just sat there after releasing the brake, they'd be easier to drive. The roll-back on hills (or worse, steep underground parking ramps when there's a queue behind you waiting for you to put your ticket in the machine to lift the gate) is what lengthens the learning curve.

I found one-pedal driving much quicker to learn as it is only a judgement skill ("will the car stop on its own before the stop-line or do I need to press the brake pedal?") rather than a judgement and physical coordination skill. But, having driven stick in the past, I will admit for the first few days I'd wonder if/how the road grade changed the slowing of the car and, once stopped, would "hold" really work? That came quickly along with trusting when the car is slowing down or in "hold" my brake lights were on to warn others behind me.