Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3P OEM tire replacement (to avoid damage from potholes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Hopeful M3P owner here. I've lurked here for a week or so and apologize if I missed a thread discussing exactly this. I did see a few threads discussing 18" but they were
focused more on track performance, which is not my focus.

Most important to me is prevention of pothole damage, then durability, and lastly a quiet, comfortable ride.

Assuming that the stock 20" tires still have the same pothole issue I heard people selling stock asap. Is there still a healthy market for the 20" or do you honestly think I'm better off getting a RWD?

Thank you and if I go through with the purchase I'll detail my experience here.

Hi Everyone,

Hopeful M3P owner here. I've lurked here for a week or so and apologize if I missed a thread discussing exactly this. I did see a few threads discussing 18" but they were
focused more on track performance, which is not my focus.

Most important to me is prevention of pothole damage, then durability, and lastly a quiet, comfortable ride.

Assuming that the stock 20" tires still have the same pothole issue I heard people selling stock asap. Is there still a healthy market for the 20" or do you honestly think I'm better off getting a RWD?

Thank you and if I go through with the purchase I'll detail my experience here.

Lots of wheel and tire threads on here about this but the simple answer is that if you go 18s, you have a ton of tire options and the increased sidewalls will protect against potholes way better. 20s are relatively easy to sell at a reduced price of course so you'll probably lose a bit on the transition to 18 inch.

If you ask me, the extra cost to transition to 18s is worth it and you get the Performance model which is much better than the lower trims.

Reactions: BlkDragon
Appreciate it AppRunner!

For those who are looking for wheels and tires this is what I'll likely be doing based on the TeslaSnek youtube video. I hope this helps.

I am still on the 20's but wearing FALKEN Azenis FK460's now. I feel they're far superior and see no major difference in range or noise level.

The original Pirellis are absolute joke. Developed side wall bubbles within first month, and eventually one of them burst around 14K miles
I did not obsessively, or out of norm - hit any potholes during that period.
Just typical chicagoland driving

I went with 255/35 PS4s. Much better looking and riding with minimal decrease in efficiency.
Since it is a bigger diameter tire, I set my wheel settings to the Zero G wheels (uses 245/35) so that speed displayed is a little more accurate.

Picture is mine, dropped about 3/4" with 14mm spacers all around. Though, I am planning to drop a little more.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1692059054560.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692059054560.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 111
I am still on the 20's but wearing FALKEN Azenis FK460's now. I feel they're far superior and see no major difference in range or noise level.

The original Pirellis are absolute joke. Developed side wall bubbles within first month, and eventually one of them burst around 14K miles
I did not obsessively, or out of norm - hit any potholes during that period.
Just typical chicagoland driving
I'm thinking about that next time. My 2021 Model 3 Performance came with Pirellis and lasted 21k. I got Michelins and may not get 16K. I will try these the next round! Thanks!