Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 has had slew of issues already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I bought my model 3 new and received a 2023 model 3 in November of 2022. Since then I have had over 12 service appointments for various issues including the charger door not opening, excessive wind noise only in the driver’s side windows, my tire pressure sensors all failing, to most recently the scrollers on my steering wheel become blazing hot when I’m driving to where I can barely touch them. I just got done with a service appt last week and now I already have another next week for this new issue. Not to mention the automatic wipers going off almost every day when I’m on cruise control. Is it normal to have this many issues in the first year, or did I just get a dud of a car? If this is normal, that’s fine, but my friends and colleagues with teslas seem to not have any of these issues, especially this many in the first year.

In addition it seems like my car’s battery has been draining quicker than normal. I usually have 210 miles left after driving to work/back on a full charge and now the last week I am at 196 when I get home. Could this be the hot weather? I am in AZ where it has been 115 during the day the last couple of weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
...Since then I have had over 12 service appointments for various issues including the charger door not opening, excessive wind noise only in the driver’s side windows, my tire pressure sensors all failing, to most recently the scrollers on my steering wheel become blazing hot when I’m driving to where I can barely touch them. I just got done with a service appt last week and now I already have another next week for this new issue.
Not normal.
Not to mention the automatic wipers going off almost every day when I’m on cruise control. Is it normal...
Not ideal, but probably because of the immature Tesla Vision. Hopefully, it will mature soon in a decade or so.
...AZ where it has been 115 during the day the last couple of weeks.
If you want a reasonable range, you need ideal weather. 115F is just asking too much!

Hello! I bought my model 3 new and received a 2023 model 3 in November of 2022. Since then I have had over 12 service appointments for various issues including the charger door not opening
Depending on what exactly you mean, multiple possible causes. If you mean opening by pushing it, a common cause is a little magnetic piece fell off:
Little black "piece" fell out of my charge port?
If you mean the button on the connector, some reported the newer ones appear to have much less range:
Charge port not opening with button on wand
There are multiple ways to open it:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
excessive wind noise only in the driver’s side windows
It's very subjective, but there are various sources of noise near the window, so hard to pin.
my tire pressure sensors all failing
Did they show an error or just not report? Note the TPMS do not activate until tires have rolled for a while (as such they don't work from Park). From memory there might be an software update that shows the old value in the meantime, but I don't remember if it its only in the App or in the car.
to most recently the scrollers on my steering wheel become blazing hot when I’m driving to where I can barely touch them.
Steering wheel scroll wheels get really hot?
Some reported it has to do with metal scroll wheels. Others say it's the scroll wheel LED "Steering Wheel Light" option.
I just got done with a service appt last week and now I already have another next week for this new issue. Not to mention the automatic wipers going off almost every day when I’m on cruise control.
MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.
Auto wiper complaints is a common thing (as per above long thread). Auto wipers are enabled by default when AP is on: "Autopilot requires wipers to be set to Auto. This setting is automatic and you cannot change it."
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
One fix that has high success is cleaning the glass in front the the camera thoroughly (not swipe with the wiper fluid with the wipers, actually cleaning it so there are no water spots). Sometimes the other cause is water spots inside the glass, in which case housing has to be removed to clean. If neither fixes it and it occurs in the exact same spot in the road, it may just be the lighting. For some, it's a software issue where there is no obvious fix in the works.
Is it normal to have this many issues in the first year, or did I just get a dud of a car? If this is normal, that’s fine, but my friends and colleagues with teslas seem to not have any of these issues, especially this many in the first year.
It's not normal to have so many, but given they appear to be unrelated problems and fixable, it does not necessarily mean you have a lemon, just perhaps extremely bad luck.
In addition it seems like my car’s battery has been draining quicker than normal. I usually have 210 miles left after driving to work/back on a full charge and now the last week I am at 196 when I get home. Could this be the hot weather? I am in AZ where it has been 115 during the day the last couple of weeks.
Range varying due to weather is normal, especially with higher AC usage.