Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy that doesn't seem right. Not sure I would have bought the car if I'd realized that. Were they having some real serious issues prior to that, like people having accidents with those features? I can't imagine why they'd make this decision otherwise.
They removed ultrasonic parking sensors which were critical to the function those features for detecting close by objects. Their plan was to solve that problem with Tesla Vision using cameras only. Clearly that won’t be as accurate as ultrasonic sensors and who knows if it ever will be.

It was nothing more than cost cutting disguised as technology innovation that hasn’t happened yet.

2022 and older vehicles that have USS parking sensors still have those functions enabled.

auto park or summon or smart summon
…… but none of those features is particularly useful/practical in real world situations. Of the three, I can use auto park sucessfully when backing into a supercharger space maybe 15% of the time. I quit trying to use summon/smart summon after a few attempts …. Some of which were dramatic fails.

So even though I have USS on my Y, I’m waiting too.

They removed ultrasonic parking sensors which were critical to the function those features for detecting close by objects. Their plan was to solve that problem with Tesla Vision using cameras only. Clearly that won’t be as accurate as ultrasonic sensors and who knows if it ever will be.

It was nothing more than cost cutting disguised as technology innovation that hasn’t happened yet.

2022 and older vehicles that have USS parking sensors still have those functions enabled.
Thanks for the explanation. I kind of thought that was the case, that the older vehicles still had this function I honestly might have just gotten a used vehicle if I'd understood better. But I inquired about it the man at the service center said that used wasn't good because I just couldn't trust how the battery had been treated by the previous owner. Which now, possibly was disingenuous? The learning curve here is so intense and I feel like they kind of count on that, because why would someone buy a new car that's actually not as functional as the older versions? I mean I remember having to accept that I was buying a car without a certain functionality but it made it sound like it was literally temporary. Plus, when you're all pumped up about your new purchase it's not the time you're going to say, well hold on a minute..

…… but none of those features is particularly useful/practical in real world situations. Of the three, I can use auto park sucessfully when backing into a supercharger space maybe 15% of the time. I quit trying to use summon/smart summon after a few attempts …. Some of which were dramatic fails.

So even though I have USS on my Y, I’m waiting too.
Okay thanks I find this very interesting and I did wonder about that. I would like the chance to try them out myself and realize that I wouldn't actually use them in reality. But to have them taken away from my 3 months trial period feels rude. You know it's just one of those things that you want to play around with before you decide that heck I would never use this anyway.
I am interested in hearing more about your attempts at summon/smartsummon, if you wouldn't mind sharing them, or even other summon stories that maybe are more widely known, that I'm not aware of. I mean I have to admit that I found it hard to believe that this feature wouldn't cause a problem somehow since even when I'm in the car I don't find the full self-driving feature to be trustworthy and obviously neither do they since the car keeps checking that I have my hands on the wheel every few minutes, which I do, since I wouldn't be comfortable not doing that at this point. I mean I have to wonder if Tesla's had to face some lawsuits over the unoccupied moving car doing things that resulted in unfortunate incidents?

Last edited:
Yup, brand new 2023 Model Y here, and after dark we sometimes get the "blocked or blinded" warning for the passenger side pillar camera. Glass is clean as the day it was made, camera's not blocked, no bright light shining directly into the camera, no rain. Just a dark street after sunset. Foolish cameras, making their problem my problem. It's not my fault Tesla's cameras can't see in the dark. :rolleyes:
Okay thanks for this it makes sense of the warnings I'm getting that I couldn't figure out why I was getting them. Also the dry wiper thing which just seems incredulous to me. I mean it's not even like a dewey morning or anything. I also sometimes get this warning in the daytime when my camera does appear to be clear. Honestly confusing. I'm still getting used to all this. Really hoping that Elon figures this stuff out soon.

There were other Chinese brands that were able to do vision only parking even better than Tesla's USS based implementation (which was not anywhere close to the state of the art), but they had actual parking cameras (ones that are aimed at the ground). Tesla's problem is the front camera has a huge blind spot, and they have not tuned their occupancy network to be able to estimate the front accurate enough yet for parking (although it's fine for normal driving). It seems like something that is low priority for them however, as they have much more development focused on FSD.

Really hoping that Elon figures this stuff out soon.

Hah!

I'm hoping Elon figures all the stuff on his to-do list out before the end of the life of my vehicle (I keep cars for 8 years normally, and I suspect I'll never get the FSD that I 'bought'.)

I'm not asking for Robotaxi, but it would be nice to have summon for tucking my car back into its parking spot back (we have USS but the feature was taken away since my car is parked in underground parking - it used to work, now it gives us an error that it needs unobstructed satellite access), smart summon, and self parking that actually works and doesn't tie up traffic all around me while it wiggles and hesitates and then panics and gets me to take over. Remember, I still have USS, that, unlike my RADAR has not yet been switched off, but these features have got worse or been eliminated since we first got the car.

What you should be hoping for is that Elon doesn't FUBAR what you already have.

Reactions: ionsphere
Okay my eyes are opened. I had been under the impression that people with older cars still had the feature functioning but now I'm reading multiple posts that that has been disabled there as well. Can I ask how long you've had your vehicle? I was planning to keep this car a long time too, but now I'm kind of wishing I had just leased it. Oh well hindsight's always 20/20. I never thought I'd miss the Hyundai so much. If my local dealership hadn't been such jerks about my purchase experience and some minor issues that came up subsequently, I might still have it.
With the Tesla, I still love many of the features it currently has, so there's that, and the buying experience was pretty seamless. And nobody can beat the responsiveness and acceleration of a Tesla on the road. The Hyundai PHEV used to have a lag time apparently built into the system, so that when I was stepping out into traffic, it would generally (almost always but not always) hesitate for a few seconds before the acceleration kicked in, which caused a few times of panic, until I just decided not to pull out until I had plenty of room. Which makes for a less fun and more annoying driving experience. I've only had the Tesla a few weeks so hopefully I'll come to enjoy it more the more I get to know how to maximize the better features of it. Amazingly my electric bill actually went down this month, although we are also are not welding much in the shop here so that's probably what is responsible for that.

Our 2021 Model 3 Performance with an FSD computer had the ultrasonic sensors. That car never had trouble with automatic wipers, and was fantastic with parking assist and maintaining following distance in heavy stop & go traffic even though we never enabled FSD.

Okay my eyes are opened. I had been under the impression that people with older cars still had the feature functioning but now I'm reading multiple posts that that has been disabled there as well. Can I ask how long you've had your vehicle? I was planning to keep this car a long time too, but now I'm kind of wishing I had just leased it. Oh well hindsight's always 20/20. I never thought I'd miss the Hyundai so much. If my local dealership hadn't been such jerks about my purchase experience and some minor issues that came up subsequently, I might still have it.
With the Tesla, I still love many of the features it currently has, so there's that, and the buying experience was pretty seamless. And nobody can beat the responsiveness and acceleration of a Tesla on the road. The Hyundai PHEV used to have a lag time apparently built into the system, so that when I was stepping out into traffic, it would generally (almost always but not always) hesitate for a few seconds before the acceleration kicked in, which caused a few times of panic, until I just decided not to pull out until I had plenty of room. Which makes for a less fun and more annoying driving experience. I've only had the Tesla a few weeks so hopefully I'll come to enjoy it more the more I get to know how to maximize the better features of it. Amazingly my electric bill actually went down this month, although we are also are not welding much in the shop here so that's probably what is responsible for that

No. You are mixing up radar with ultrasonic. No cars with ultrasonic sensors have had them disabled. All cars with ultrasonic sensors still have functional summon/smart summon/auto park.
Wow. So the 2023 model wise not only are missing ultrasonic sensors they are also missing radar? I have to agree with the person that said no amount of software download is going to make the visual cameras as good as what apparently I never got in the first place. Little bit of a rude awakening. I'll still hope for something better but I guess I'll just have to enjoy the rest of the car in the meantime... nobody can match the pick up at least.

Wow. So the 2023 model wise not only are missing ultrasonic sensors they are also missing radar? I have to agree with the person that said no amount of software download is going to make the visual cameras as good as what apparently I never got in the first place. Little bit of a rude awakening. I'll still hope for something better but I guess I'll just have to enjoy the rest of the car in the meantime... nobody can match the pick up at least.
Radar hardware was removed from 3/Y in around early 2021. Software updates have now disabled radar function on older cars with radar and HW3 (starting approx 2018 models).

Cars with HW2.5 and older retain radar function.

Radar hardware was removed from 3/Y in around early 2021. Software updates have now disabled radar function on older cars with radar and HW3 (starting approx 2018 models).

Cars with HW2.5 and older retain radar function.
This might explain why Autopilot is worse on my 3 after I upgraded the computer from 2.5 to 3.0.

Which leads me to my next question for the group. Im planning on selling my 3 and getting a MYP since they're letting me transfer my unlimited super charging. My question is regarding EAP. Auto lane change is the only feature I use. Would it be worth 6k for that feature alone, but also considering resale value?

Last edited: