Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removal of USS in Model S 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Odered a new Tesla Model S earlier in Sep 2023. Got a notification from Tesla that my vehicle will not have Ultrasonic sensors (USS). Just curious, is this first time USS being removed in new Model S or have you seen previous 2023 MS will no USS? Thanks

I had a MS totaled and picked up 2023 MS in June, without parking sensors.
It sucks pulling into garage or backing in for supercharging but hopefully improves overtime, sooner than later.
Upside is the new H4, so I elected to move forward with purchase.
Bigger complaint from many on this forum is the loss of stalks on steering column; turn signals and transmission selection (D, R, P).
I don’t find it to be much of a problem but wish I could advance songs without using touch screen.

I’m thrilled with my ride and you are getting the best pricing seen in a long time, if not ever.

Here is some reading info on H4:

Upvote 0
Tesla is always implement now, fix and develop later. When the radar was removed, some features were not available until they could recode. Now that H4 includes new HD Radar, it will take added time to write the code to implement the features of HW4, the increased resolution, including HD radar. When they removed the USS, it is taking time to fully implement this change. Tesla brought out LED matrix headlights, but I don't believe there is anything actively using the matrix now. Maybe next year? In any event, the new LED headlights surely are an improvement over the low beams on the older S models, which are horrible. The bow-tie steering wheel was only half implemented when it came out, and most assumed Tesla would introduce the variable ratio steering which would have made this change more logical. Changes are still being made to implement this feature, and now they are shipping new cars with this as an option, instead of standard.

Upvote 0
I had a MS totaled and picked up 2023 MS in June, without parking sensors.
It sucks pulling into garage or backing in for supercharging but hopefully improves overtime, sooner than later.
Upside is the new H4, so I elected to move forward with purchase.
Bigger complaint from many on this forum is the loss of stalks on steering column; turn signals and transmission selection (D, R, P).
I don’t find it to be much of a problem but wish I could advance songs without using touch screen.

I’m thrilled with my ride and you are getting the best pricing seen in a long time, if not ever.

Here is some reading info on H4:

You can advance songs on the wheel.

Click the volume knob on wheel sideways.

It reminds you of this every time you use the screen next button.

Upvote 0
Tesla Vision can not see curbs and sidewalks. At best it tries to remember seeing them. All Teslas without USS need the front grill camera now. HW 4 appears to have a port for it. Seeing as the car is so smart, it should be able to put the front camera on the screen when pulling into a parking space. In my opinion this is not much to ask for. Just a cheap camera and a bit of software.

Upvote 0
Tesla Vision can not see curbs and sidewalks. At best it tries to remember seeing them. All Teslas without USS need the front grill camera now. HW 4 appears to have a port for it. Seeing as the car is so smart, it should be able to put the front camera on the screen when pulling into a parking space. In my opinion this is not much to ask for. Just a cheap camera and a bit of software.
The USS didn’t see curbs or sidewalks either, unless they were particularly high.

Upvote 0