Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MS Yoke / weird curved line behind "TESLA"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this weird curvy something on the main center part of my 2023 MS Yoke, it looks like maybe a wire under the material? Not sure what it is, it's barely raised up and isn't always as noticeable as it was this morning... could this be part of the horn assembly? Cause for concern? Looking for your thoughts... or if anyone else has seen this on their yoke...
yoke.jpg

Even the round steering has it 😒
1916503-00-A_3_2000.jpg

I bet Tesla made sure to show that worm on these latest pics on their website so they don't have to listen to annoyed customers complaining. Now they can just point them to the website.

It is a result of poor design and manufacturing, so even though it's technically normal because most have it, it's still not ok.

Here is a video from car design and manufacturing experts saying so much, so you don't have to take my work for it:

Last edited:
The round steering wheel uses the same air bag as the yoke, and that bug/feature is part of the airbag...just clarifying as I just went through the route of changing the yoke for a steering wheel and those were my observations :)

It does not. The part number is different, and in fact Tesla has been swapping them during wheel retrofits.

There is a difference in the shape of the bag itself — so if you fit a “yoke” airbag to a round wheel, how it performs in event of a collision is not known.

But please don’t say they are the same; they are NOT.

It does not. The part number is different, and in fact Tesla has been swapping them during wheel retrofits.

There is a difference in the shape of the bag itself — so if you fit a “yoke” airbag to a round wheel, how it performs in event of a collision is not known.

But please don’t say they are the same; they are NOT.
Interesting! There should be some difference then if they are different part #s. In the same time, I can tell from experience that the airbag of the yoke can be installed on the wheel, in terms of mechanical fitment.

Interesting! There should be some difference then if they are different part #s. In the same time, I can tell from experience that the airbag of the yoke can be installed on the wheel, in terms of mechanical fitment.
Absolutely - the mechanical fitment and wiring is the same. Current theory (without confirmation from Tesla) is that the actual fabric bag is different inside. Given that there are different part numbers, and that Tesla replaces the airbag when doing a wheel swap, there’s got to be a good reason for it.

And finding out why in a collision is the last thing any of us want to do ….

Absolutely - the mechanical fitment and wiring is the same. Current theory (without confirmation from Tesla) is that the actual fabric bag is different inside. Given that there are different part numbers, and that Tesla replaces the airbag when doing a wheel swap, there’s got to be a good reason for it.

Maybe if someone has both they can measure the weight, see if it’s any different?

Yoke or wheel, the airbag direction of deployment should be the same and therefore not a safety issue. That being said, while the airbag module is the same size and interchangeable, Tesla May have modified the size or shape of the inside bag for cost or design reasons and thus gave it a new part number.

Yoke or wheel, the airbag direction of deployment should be the same and therefore not a safety issue. That being said, while the airbag module is the same size and interchangeable, Tesla May have modified the size or shape of the inside bag for cost or design reasons and thus gave it a new part number.

There was, for sure, some design engineering on the yoke airbag because there isn’t a top-of-wheel for the bag to use as a “support”. The chief vehicle designer said exactly this.

So, my suspicion is that the round wheel bag is a typical pillow shape.

Someone would have to blow off both of these to compare …. And that won’t be me. :)