Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MSP Radar Detector install with Mirrortap. Anyone find a solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad I could help. On the OBD port - Tesla has it in all Model S/X/Y. The early Model 3 didn't have it, but it was added back I think around 2020. The OBD port is not much use other than power. On the S/X before 2022 Plaid/LR, the OBD power is always on. Don't bother with any OBD scan tools - none work in any Tesla (or I should say they provide no useful data). OBD is really for ICE cars.
Thanks for clarifying. I think it means all the OBD port is useful for is a little bit of low voltage power! Anyway, it's working very well for me, so appreciate your work on it. Cheers.

This is the one I used. Hopefully the link works - Amazon links always seem wonky to me: OBD Adapter

1. So I just started from the radar detector end: wherever you want to place it at the top of the windshield, start your radar detector power end there, leaving a 3 or 4 inch pigtail sticking out to connect, and use a plastic tool or something to push the wire under the headliner.
  2. When you get to the A pillar, the Alcantara trim panel there has a release near the top - pull it in the direction of the rear view mirror. I only had to release the top, and I'm not sure I really needed to do that. You can push your RD power wire behind there at the top, and move across to the rubber weatherstripping at the door.
  3. The weather stripping is easy to pull up an inch or so at a time, so just inch your way down to the left side to get to the dash board, tucking in the wire behind the A pillar trim along the way.
  4. At the dash, I quickly removed those two panels - one directly on the side of the dash to allow you to get to the skinny one next to it in the door frame. A-Pillar Trim Link At that point, I pulled up the "Model S" trim at the bottom of the door frame - helpful to have a picture for that. Now you have access to move around behind the carpet at the footwell.
  5. I installed the OBD adapter, ran it behind the footwell carpeting (and the styrofoam sound piece there), made the connections, gathered up all the excess wire from every thing and wire tied it into a small bundle. I also wrapped that little bundle in some electrical tape to prevent any possible rattling and add abrasion resistance that's probably unnecessary. In my case, I had a great deal of excess wire (probably 3 ft from OBD adapter, and 4 ft from RD power wire) that I could have cut out, but I didn't. I just bundled it in a 4-inch long bundle, wire tied it, and wrapped it with electrical tape.
  6. Test it (note the OBD power is off when the car is off) and put the trim pieces back on. Done.
Probably really a 20 minute job, but I'm a slow worker and took me 40 minutes. Cheers.

EDIT: inserted a couple Tesla Service links to removing those small interior panels.

Thank you for the write up! It helps a lot!!

So not quite hard wired, but I ended up just attaching a small usb power bank and powering the detector off that. Can power the thing more than long enough for any of the road trips I take. And I don’t use the radar detector when just driving in town etc.

I’ll probably 3D print something to make it a little cleaner at some point.

IMG_4036.jpeg