Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MY with MCU2 or MCU3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who own the MY, I presume it uses MCU2.

MCU1 in the S and X were prone to eMMC failure due to its 8GB chip limitation and excessive data logging. Since MCU2, I don't believe I heard of MCU2 failing, as it has a 64GB chip and is relatively new, so only time will tell. But hypothetically speaking, wouldn't MCU2 eventually fail as well if excessive data logging exists and the data will eventually exceed 64GB, unless MCU2 is "smarter" and deletes older data to prevent the 64GB from being full.

Tesla MCU1 vs. MCU2 Explained

/\ This post states a new MCU3 is being used in some Y and S. Is this true? Does MCU3 have a chip greater than 64GB, or any other improvements over MCU2? One limitation of MCU2 I'm reading is that is has no FM radio and requires a service visit and cost to have that capability. Will MCU3 have FM radio capability?

MCU3 cars have the AMD Ryzen processor instead of the Intel Atom processor. I believe all 2021 and forward S/X models are MCU3 and any 3/Y built in 2022 forward (there might be a few from Dec 2021).

The absence of FM radio is only an issue on S/X cars originally built with MCU1 and later upgraded to MCU2. The MCU2 upgrade hardware was incompatible with the original tuner in the car, but you had the option of purchasing an additional tuner upgrade to restore terrestrial radio.

The data logging issue was with MCU1. This issue was exceeding the write/erase cycles of the flash memory and wearing the chip out (not filling it up). I have not heard of any reported data logging issues with MCU2 or MCU3.