Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYLR Unresponsive 4 Days After Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our MYLR on 4/6/2023. During two separate drives that day, we received alerts on the screen that power was reduced, cruise control was disabled, and one-pedal driving was disabled. We immediately booked a service appointment through the app; the earliest appointment was 4/25.

We drove the car on short errands 4/7, 4/8, and 4/9 with no issues.

On 4/10 we drove approximately 10 miles, parked, and left the car. The car had an approximately 70% charge at this time. About five minutes before returning to the car, we activated climate control through the app. Upon arriving at the vehicle, the doors would not open and the key card did not work. After several minutes passed, the tail lights flashed and we were able to enter the car. The car was unresponsive; we could not put into drive. We tried to reset the car but the screen went blank and the car was completely dead. The vehicle was towed to the SC.

As of 4/19, the car is still at the SC. We've been told that no alerts or faults have been triggered while it's been at the SC so the technicians have no direction for a diagnosis. Incredibly disappointing experience!

"...During two separate drives that day, we received alerts on the screen that power was reduced, cruise control was disabled, and one-pedal driving was disabled..." I probably would have fully it was something simple like the 12it to the SC instead of driving it on 4 separate days!

Hopefully, it's something simple like the 12v battery!

"...During two separate drives that day, we received alerts on the screen that power was reduced, cruise control was disabled, and one-pedal driving was disabled..." I probably would have fully it was something simple like the 12it to the SC instead of driving it on 4 separate days!

Hopefully, it's something simple like the 12v battery!
That would be my guess. A faulty 15v battery.

That would be my guess. A faulty 15v battery.
Exactly my thoughts as well. The new lithium 15v batteries have an internal disconnect to protect the battery. If the battery detects that it's at or below 10% soc it will break the connection to the car electrical system to protect itself.

The errors you describe sound like voltage was low and so the car was shedding loads to try and stay alive.

Exactly my thoughts as well. The new lithium 15v batteries have an internal disconnect to protect the battery. If the battery detects that it's at or below 10% soc it will break the connection to the car electrical system to protect itself.

The errors you describe sound like voltage was low and so the car was shedding loads to try and stay alive.
Thank you for the reply and info. The SC said the low voltage battery is fine and there are no loose connections in the car.

But they have all the information from the earlier malfunctions, right? You would think that would give them enough to go on.
Yes, they do have the older logs before it stopped reporting due to power failure.

They know what they're doing. Sometimes, they don't communicate right with the mechanic. The mechanic says something, then the SA tells you something in a customer friendly way.

Yes, they do have the older logs before it stopped reporting due to power failure.

They know what they're doing. Sometimes, they don't communicate right with the mechanic. The mechanic says something, then the SA tells you something in a customer friendly way.
We received the final technician's notes today:

"The diagnostic process has been exhausted and vehicle has never been in faulted state while in service, causing accurate diagnosis to be impossible for the incident the customer experienced. Vehicle must be in faulted state while in service for diagnostics and electrical troubleshooting to take place. At this time, vehicle is operating as expected and must be returned to the customer."

We received the final technician's notes today:

"The diagnostic process has been exhausted and vehicle has never been in faulted state while in service, causing accurate diagnosis to be impossible for the incident the customer experienced. Vehicle must be in faulted state while in service for diagnostics and electrical troubleshooting to take place. At this time, vehicle is operating as expected and must be returned to the customer."
In other words, "within spec"

I hope it's good from now on too although I've really lost confidence in the car. It's going to be very difficult to drive it any distance without being worried that this will occur again. This really put a damper on enjoying our brand new MY.

It would if it were my car as well. Its hard to believe there were no codes or anything for them to diagnose though.

Hopefully nothing else happens.

It would if it were my car as well. Its hard to believe there were no codes or anything for them to diagnose though.

Hopefully nothing else happens.
I wonder if they fixed something and didn't say, for whatever reason. My local service centers are amazing, and have been for the four years I've owned.

@TEO32 if you're curious you could go into service mode and take a look at the warning log.

I wonder if they fixed something and didn't say, for whatever reason. My local service centers are amazing, and have been for the four years I've owned.

@TEO32 if you're curious you could go into service mode and take a look at the warning log.
The faults on the two days that we experienced issues were CAN bus faults.

When we picked-up the vehicle on 4/21, we were able to speak, in-person, with the Service Manager and the technician that worked on the car over the two weeks it was in the SC. The tech believes that the problem may have been caused by a kink in a wire and that the problem may have been fixed unknowingly while he inspected the circuits and connections. He also stated that there are tests he should have ran on the vehicle before charging the low volt battery to power the vehicle back on. He said that if the vehicle comes back to the SC in the same state, he will run these tests first, so that hopefully they don't have to spend weeks trying to re-create the issue.

We feel more confident about the car after the opportunity to learn more through the conversation with the tech. He provided more detail in-person than was provided in writing through the app or the tech report so that was helpful. Hopefully the car runs smoothly from now on! I will update this post if we have trouble in the future.

Thanks to everyone who responded and gave recommendations. It is much appreciated!