Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYP—mild modifications and future plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thirteen20WRX

Goldmember Q. Wienerdog
Jan 13, 2024
Northwest FL
IMG_0517.jpeg

Purchased my first brand new car since college (which was a 2001 SVT Mustang Cobra that I still have).

2023 MYP, black interior, tow hitch. Paid $53k which I think was a pretty decent price since I’m in a smaller market and it stickered for $55,490. Could have gotten a better deal on an MSM but 1) it’s technically my wife’s car and she wanted black and 2) it was the only one available for delivery before Dec 31 and there was some uncertainty regarding the tax credits.

I absolutely love the car. I’m probably not the typical Tesla customer and it really took me a while to come around to their design language but we rented a couple RWD M3’s and were blown away by just how competent a car it was. Once I realized that an MYP was by far the cheapest route to an 11 second quarter mile vehicle that could still cart my kids and all their sports equipment around, I was sold hard. They just put in a massive supercharger bank around the corner from my house and I already have a dedicated panel and a 240v outlet in my utility room right next to the carport.

Immediately ceramic coated and glazed it—I know people love to hate on Chemical Guys but I’ve been using their HydroSlick and Black Magic glaze on black cars for a while with great results. As you can see in the photo, the dark gray satin trim didn’t love the CG ceramic protectant I used on it so I will probably switch to 303 for that.

Got the front windows tinted to match the rears…if anyone is in the Pensacola area I’d definitely recommend Black Diamond Coatings in Gulf Breeze. They got me in the same day and my car was immaculate when they finished.

“Modding” a car this way is new to me as I’m an ICE guy from way back. I had a 2002 bugeye WRX that was making over 400 at the crank (hey, that was big power for the early 2000s!) but still looked dead stock. However, after getting my son a 110cc-equivalent electric dirt bike (3kw/60v battery) last year and realizing it wheelied harder than my old GSX-R600 I was sold on electric torque. So if I can’t mess with the motor, for the time being I’m sticking with strictly the cosmetic stuff.

Installed/equipped so far:
-Factory match tint
-Gloss tempered glass screen protector
-LDCRS full mat set
-Emergency kit (2.5t scissor jack, jack pads, tire inflator, patch kit)

Ordered and eagerly awaiting:
-JDP engineering CF front lip, will PPF it with Stealth XPEL when it gets here
-knockoff ABS Viento Aero side skirts in matte CF hydro coat. They look ok in pictures but if they look crappy in person I’ll vinyl coat them. Just couldn’t spend $1k plus on little canards that stick up by the rear doors.
-matte CF badge covers
-matte CF door handle covers
-matte CF turn signal covers
-matte CF fog light eyebrows from Vivid Racing (what a flashback, that’s where I got all the suspension mods for my WRX back in 2005 when they were pretty much just doing Subies)
-matte CF mud flaps from Electric Speed Design. These were pretty damn spendy for four small pieces and I would have vinyl coated plastic ones but I couldn’t find any that matched the lines of the ESD ones and they look damn sexy.
-matte black, uh, upper fender splash guard thingies off Amazon? I think they had the same ones at Icon Motorsports. They looked pretty cool and I’m going to vinyl them to match the mud flaps.
-H&R TRAK+ 20mm spacers front and rear

Future mods:
-I’d love to go with adjustable coilovers—probably the Tein’s. Wife is not on board with lowering it (we’re coming from a lifted Lexus LX570 on 35’s) but I’m doing some work on her Grand Cherokee SRT now and if she wants it back after that the MYP will become my car and it’s getting slammed. If not, a built GC SRT isn’t a bad consolation prize or I’ll just sell it and get an MSP lol.

-once the stock tires wear out I’ll probably pull the spacers and either go with some forged 20’s with an aggressive offset or something like 265-275’s and 305’s on the uberturbines.

-get bored with the current setup and lift it on the MPP spacers with 18’s and all terrains?

Cool! We need more folks having fun with their cars beyond vanilla parts. You'll definitely find insipiration from track guys with tuned coils, suspensions, bbk (big brake kits), etc in the following threads:

Immediately ceramic coated and glazed it—I know people love to hate on Chemical Guys but I’ve been using their HydroSlick and Black Magic glaze on black cars for a while with great results. As you can see in the photo, the dark gray satin trim didn’t love the CG ceramic protectant I used on it so I will probably switch to 303 for that.
I use Chemical Guys exclusively, and they aren't bad. Are there better? Sure. Are there worse? You bet. To me, Chemical Guys straddles the line between entry level and premium car products. Their Black Magic, and WhiteMagic, are decent enough for what they do.

If there is one complaint I have for CG, is that they have a ton of repetitive products, i.e. over a dozen car wash soaps with just different scents. Like who cares as your car's exterior won't smell any better. They do that with their interior cleaning sprays. They have like 5 different products that do the same thing. Four or five leather "conditioners" not even including the more 'premium' Hydro Leather.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I use Chemical Guys exclusively, and they aren't bad. Are there better? Sure. Are there worse? You bet. To me, Chemical Guys straddles the line between entry level and premium car products. Their Black Magic, and WhiteMagic, are decent enough for what they do.

If there is one complaint I have for CG, is that they have a ton of repetitive products, i.e. over a dozen car wash soaps with just different scents. Like who cares as your car's exterior won't smell any better. They do that with their interior cleaning sprays. They have like 5 different products that do the same thing.
It comes down to one's wash process. I use CG and other brands in my methods. Totally agree they have redundancy, can get confusing for folks wanting to learn proper ettiquette.

Cool! We need more folks having fun with their cars beyond vanilla parts. You'll definitely find insipiration from track guys with tuned coils, suspensions, bbk (big brake kits), etc in the following threads:

Thanks man! I’ve cruised the “Picture of your Model Y” thread extensively and there are some drop dead gorgeous cars on there. It’s where I found the JDP lip.

I think for almost every car I’ve ever had, from the WRX, to my wife’s 1 series convertible, to a variety of lifted Toyotas, I’ve wanted to put TE37’s on them and just not gotten around to it. Absolutely classic wheel design and it works on almost everything.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Great looking car! Could you tell me where you got the gloss screen protector? I only find satin or matte. Thanks!
Thanks! I ordered the Spigen one off Amazon. Super easy to put on, it came with a bracket that holds everything in place while you’re installing it. No visible difference in resolution/color and it cut 90% of fingerprints. Highly recommend, especially if your whole family is addicted to Fallout Shelter like mine is lol.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
Nice looking set up so far! I’m keeping a close eye since I also have a black MYP and was thinking of getting the JDP engineering lip.

Do you have any full body photos with the spacers?
IMG_0707.jpeg

Here’s full body with the spacers. I love it. If I knew I was sticking with stock wheels/tires I probably would have gone 25mm for a bit more poke but I didn’t want to be locked in to +40/+48 et and 275 section tires.

Just waiting on my PPF shop to get back to me and the lip will be on it. Seems to be very high quality, and it’s finished underneath with a flat surface so it should at least not detract from aerodynamics.

Reactions: kevwerks
View attachment 1013945
Here’s full body with the spacers. I love it. If I knew I was sticking with stock wheels/tires I probably would have gone 25mm for a bit more poke but I didn’t want to be locked in to +40/+48 et and 275 section tires.

Just waiting on my PPF shop to get back to me and the lip will be on it. Seems to be very high quality, and it’s finished underneath with a flat surface so it should at least not detract from aerodynamics.

Looks good! I’m grabbing a set of spacers now haha.

Sweet. Looking forward to some photos with the new lip!

Reactions: Thirteen20WRX
Cool looking car!

View attachment 1014367
Be carefull, looks like your 'eyebrow' is coming loose
Good eye. I’ve already replaced them…vivid racing sent me a different design than I ordered. Started the return process and then bought some from a different store. Unfortunately the ones from the other store said they fit both model 3 and model Y…not so much. Couldn’t get the gap on the vertical side closed so I gave up and stuck the VR ones on lol.