Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Rattle at headliner near driver seat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up the MY two weeks ago and it’s always has an annoy rattle since the day one. Finally got an appointment with Service on this Tuesday.
However they did not resolve the issue when I picked up. So I went right back to get some help. The technician Came out with me to the car. And right in front of me he pulled the rubber gasket from the driver side door out. And open up the headliner area. And out pop out the razor blade from the headliner area. It’s a brand new super sharp razor that was sitting next to the roof airbag.

So. If you got a rattle there. That might just be another reason why.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: wakkigy
I too also have a rattle after picking up my 2023 model 3 this past Saturday. Funny thing is, I used to work for Tesla service and NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) is a very common complaint with these entry level Tesla's. I will be pulling down the headliner this weekend to check for broken clips and misaligned parts, or razor blades! LOL

Unfortunately, the time allowed to the Tesla service techs is not enough time to narrow down each noise and resolve them all. My advice is to take some little sticker dots and ride with your friend or wife down many different kinds of road roughness. I would spend a good 30 min putting a dot on each spot where you hear the noise the most. This will help the technicians greatly to find your noises make the right adjustments.

If the technician can't narrow down the noise quickly then they are forced to move to the next customer car in line with a comment (adjusted) on the work order.

Good luck!

I have the exact type of rattle in my brand new 2023 RWD SR model 3.
It acts up when driving over rough pavement at speeds from 35 MPH all the way to 65 plus.
It’s driving us crazy to know we spent $42k and waited over a month to be annoyed by this persistent rattling every day 🥵

Suspected source: “middle headliner” from LH B pillar all the way through the rear seat overhead lighting and continues to the RH B pillar.
Suspected root cause: Ether a wire not in its routing clip OR broken / misaligned interior clip.

When I have time to completely remove all the headliner panels to access the center panel, I will post pictures of the gremlin when I find it 😤

Did anyone else ever find the source of your rattle? I had the dreaded rearview mirror housing rattle, but was fixed by a mobile technician visit. I also mentioned to him that there was another rattle in the headliner on the passenger side, in the middle near the console.. that has the lights and emergency light. When I go faster on semi-rough highway.. around 50-60.. I get a constant tap, tap, tap.. rattle noise. He wasn't able to do it mobile, so I made a service center appointment.

The service appointment went well, they were very helpful and listened to my concerns. The technician took a drive with me, but the road was not rough or over 40mph. It did start doing it a bit, but nothing like on the highway. He said he thought he knew what is was and assured me it could be resolved.

It took a few hours to get it worked on. He thought it might be the LED lights in the center overhead console, so he replaced the part. Said he did a test drive and it wasn't making the tap tap noise. Well of course, he didn't take me, and not fast enough on the highway. As soon as I got back on the highway home.. it was back. Ugh. If I put pressure with my hand on the right side of the light area or headliner it stops.

Guess I will be taking another visit to the SC to get it looked at.