Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 RWD M3 lowered on Eibach Prokit, too low. Bad install or because of LFP battery? Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved my RWD M3 in November and immediately bought the Eibach Prokit lowering springs for it (after many months of research). I had to buy the 2022 springs, as their 2023 products weren't out yet. I figured that was fine since it's fundamentally the exact same car. Lift Kits, Lowering Springs, Race Springs, Shocks & Sway Bars
WELP, turns out that I have the LFP battery version (I find out when I pick my M3 up in Dec and go thru the first time car setup). I realized it because it says to charge the battery to 100% which is the exact opposite of everything I've ever ready about Teslas (with 80% being the safe charge point). But the LFP batteries are different it seems. I did a metric ton of research on Teslas' but didn't know anything about LFP batteries in the RWD 2023 model. Oh well. All good. So far.
BUT, after having the springs installed, the lowering was much lower than Eibach indicated on their site (on the front), and honestly has caused us to scrape the bottom of the car A LOT and caused some damage to the under side skirt of the car (pic attached) not to mention the bottom of the front lip of the car and probably the skid plate. Eibach says the lowering should be 1.3" in the front and 1.1" in the rear. My front is 2" lower and the back is only .5" lower.
Photos attached for reference. You can see the front is pretty slammed with negative room between the top of the tire and the outside of the wheel well (tho it still fits fine inside the wheel well).
The shop that installed them is a reputable performance shop that works on high end cars (tho not a ton of EVS - but he has lowered a few Plaids and done work on Tesla's in general).
NOW that I go back to the Eibach site: Lift Kits, Lowering Springs, Race Springs, Shocks & Sway Bars it now specifically has a note that says "Note: Tested with factory dampers. Excludes vehicles equipped with LFP batteries. LFP batteries start in 2022".
I'm 99% sure that note wasn't there when I bought the springs in November. Tho even if it were I dunno if that would have stopped me since I wasn't aware my car would have LFP batteries.
Anwwhoooo, I have a few questions and concerns:
  1. Could the shop have installed them wrong? Is that even possible? There actually is a .25" difference between the left/right rear ride height. He said he didn't have time to balance them (and I was taking it back this week for the balancing) but I dunno if this would effect the ride height so significantly.
  2. Can the springs (or something) be adjusted so the car sits closer to the Eibach spec (higher in front, lower in back)? I feel like the answer is "no".
  3. Is this purely because of the LFP batteries?
I know the LFP batteries are heavier - making the car about 250lbs heavier than non-LFP battery models split pretty evenly front to rear (from the few sources I could find online). Tho, some posts say it's almost no weight difference... but even if so, I wouldn't think that would be enough to so dramatically effect the ride height tho. About 125lbs front and 125lbs rear. I mean, if you sit in the car, it's not gonna drop 1" so I can't think this is too too big a deal...but here I am writing this sooooo.....
Basically if the springs ARE installed correctly and this is 100% because of the LFP batteries, I will probably have the shop remove them and but the factory springs back in because it's just too low for daily driving, especially where I live. Then wait/find springs that 100% are built for LFP battery M3s. Hopefully tho, he can do...something...? to modify the ride height. Or they are installed wrong, and he can fix it.
I've lowered all my cars before this (with Eibach springs actually) and never had this issue before, so I'm not new to the lowering game, but this is particularly frustrating since it's a brand new car and it's getting F'ed up because of this.
At the end of the day, it's my responsibility to know what goes on my car, so just trying to figure if this is because of a bad install or the LFP batteries, then what action to take to fix it. :)
Any thoughts and/or suggestions.
Thanks all!

Attachments

• PXL_20230123_151957247.jpg
    PXL_20230123_151957247.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 947
  • PXL_20230123_152011443.jpg
    PXL_20230123_152011443.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 716
  • PXL_20230128_173340023.jpg
    PXL_20230128_173340023.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 759
  • PXL_20230129_223902067.jpg
    PXL_20230129_223902067.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 764
  • PXL_20230129_223913977.jpg
    PXL_20230129_223913977.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 704
1. Springs are a straight forward install. I doubt they messed things up if they are a reputable shop.

2. Springs cannot be adjusted.

3. The suspension in the 2023 Model 3/Y has been changed to improve ride quality. This is probably why your suspension is uneven with the Eibach springs.

Put your factory springs back on and wait for a new kit. Or you can just get adjustable coilovers.

The only thing I can think of is if the sway bar links on the front shocks are flipped. Thus making the sway bar end link on the opposite side of the of the shock body. Check to see if the sway bar link is on the front of the car and not flipped to the back. You can check that through the front wheel spokes. Maybe thats the problem? if it is, then just switch the left side spring/shock assembly with the right side.

In the picture, the sway bar is connected to the spring and shock assembly by that steel tab. The tab should be faced towards the front of the car and not the back.
6DD01CBC-ACA2-43EB-882D-0A0F5794CD37_1_105_c.jpeg

If thats not it, then I would go back to stock and get the appropriate spring set or get coilovers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
The only thing I can think of is if the sway bar links on the front shocks are flipped. Thus making the sway bar end link on the opposite side of the of the shock body. Check to see if the sway bar link is on the front of the car and not flipped to the back. You can check that through the front wheel spokes. Maybe thats the problem? if it is, then just switch the left side spring/shock assembly with the right side.

In the picture, the sway bar is connected to the spring and shock assembly by that steel tab. The tab should be faced towards the front of the car and not the back.
View attachment 902075

If thats not it, then I would go back to stock and get the appropriate spring set or get coilovers.

I was literally troubleshooting a customer whose shop installed the dampers 180* turned around with the swaybar endlinks going behind them just the other day. The endlinks will get ruined and make a lot of noise in short time though, if that helps with diagnosing this.

OP, I would suggest reaching out to the spring manufacturer and confirming that you received the correct parts for your application!

If you'd like to stick your phone in the wheel wells and snap some photos for us to look at, that would be helpful too. Just to make sure there is nothing obviously out of place.

Reactions: DimaCA
I was literally troubleshooting a customer whose shop installed the dampers 180* turned around with the swaybar endlinks going behind them just the other day. The endlinks will get ruined and make a lot of noise in short time though, if that helps with diagnosing this.

OP, I would suggest reaching out to the spring manufacturer and confirming that you received the correct parts for your application!

If you'd like to stick your phone in the wheel wells and snap some photos for us to look at, that would be helpful too. Just to make sure there is nothing obviously out of place.

Yes, I had that same issue when I did my coilover install. The sticker on the shock, I thought was needed to be on the outside on the driver's side, but it shouldn't. So when I installed it and lowered the car back down, one side was VERY low. So, I reinstalled the driver's side by rotating it 180 degrees and now it sits and rides PERFECTLY.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Any joy figuring this out? I have a LFP car with Eibachs and it is VERY low in front also. Clicked this pic from driver's side behind wheel but I can't make head or tales of what I'm looking at. Eibach actually installed the springs themselves.
PXL_20230511_135650040.jpg

Any joy figuring this out? I have a LFP car with Eibachs and it is VERY low in front also. Clicked this pic from driver's side behind wheel but I can't make head or tales of what I'm looking at. Eibach actually installed the springs themselves.
View attachment 936713
Fix your toe - that inner tire wear should be the more scary part...

Fix your toe - that inner tire wear should be the more scary part...
That picture is BAD, looks like its down to the wires but its actually not. Some sort of weird lighting and reflection. They are wearing a bit more inside but not reflective (pardon the pun) of how this picture looks. The tires are all bald and new set waiting in the garage for install. 34k miles on the OE Continentals, not sure if that's bad, good, or average.

Reactions: canasion35
So yeah, the 2023 LFP cars were under development (it is a different spring). I sent a buddy to their Corona plant a few weeks back and they used his car as a prototype to develop the new line. (Those are my old turbines on his car, it's a 23 SR)

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_205634.jpg
    IMG_20230523_205634.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: Krobbler
So yeah, the 2023 LFP cars were under development (it is a different spring). I sent a buddy to their Corona plant a few weeks back and they used his car as a prototype to develop the new line. (Those are my old turbines on his car, it's a 23 SR)
How low does it sit? I contacted Eibach and they DID sell and installed the wrong springs on my car 😣. They would be willing to swap it out but I am apprehensive and might just go back to the 4X4 stance...

I did mine. The car looks MUCH sportier, and handles better if you're an aggressive driver. You will scrape the bottom of your car regularly though, watch out for those wide parking lot speed bumps. If you're going that direction, I would also recommend the eibach anti-roll bars, they make a big difference in cornering. I was surprised to find that my 2021 sr+ didn't have a factory rear anti-roll bar installed, the hangers are there for one, just no bar, so you have to order the links as well. Good luck.