Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink disappearing / GPS freezing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really odd. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not. Usually it’s when I’m approaching my garage that it’s gone. But also sometimes, I am backing out of my garage and want to close the door, but the Icon is missing. I have to hit the control button, then click on homelink and my garage to activate it.

I know that it’s supposed to come up when in range, but that doesn’t seem to be happening in my case. Is there something I can do to make it work better?

Really odd. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not. Usually it’s when I’m approaching my garage that it’s gone. But also sometimes, I am backing out of my garage and want to close the door, but the Icon is missing. I have to hit the control button, then click on homelink and my garage to activate it.

I know that it’s supposed to come up when in range, but that doesn’t seem to be happening in my case. Is there something I can do to make it work better?
Yes, very odd. What software update do you have and do you have MCU1 or MCU2?

I just got the car brand new a couple days ago (yes, ouch!). Software is on 2023.20.200. Havent received any updates yet. I assume latest MCU.
Congratulations on the new car! What year is the car? If it's after 2017, you have MCU2. Mine is a 2014 Model S, so I had to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. Once I did, a lot of the bugs and quirkiness I experienced went away.

It's weird though that the entire icon is disappearing. I've seen it change from opaque to translucent and back, but never have I seen the entire completely vanish.

Try what the person above me recommended. Perhaps that will stabilize the application. Alternatively, you can do a "scroll wheel" reboot (pressing and holding both steering wheel scroll wheels simultaneously until the MCU restarts). Sometimes that fixes anomalies.

Ok, I had some weird stuff happen since I last posted.

I picked up my son from school and on the way back, the nav screen was completely frozen at one location (the school). Got home, did the double button reset. No change. Powered off. No change. Thinking maybe it was because the car was in the garage and couldn’t get a GPS signal. So then I took my son to his rock climbing class. Still frozen, so basically couldn’t use navigation, since the navigation system didnt think I moved from the school. After dropping him off, I did another 2 button reset and started to head home with Nav still frozen, thinking I would put in a service request when I got home. But, somewhere along the way, Navigation started working again, i.e., map was moving and car was recognizing where I was driving. When I got home, Homelink worked as it was supposed to.

Went out again just now to pick him up, and everything working. Homelink OK and popped up as I got close to home.

Am wondering if it’s just a glitch with the software that came with the car, since I haven’t gotten an update yet. Or could it be something hardware related? I’m going to try to do a lot of driving this weekend to make sure everything is OK.

Car is brand new, 2023 model With software version 2023.20.200.

Congratulations on the new car! What year is the car? If it's after 2017, you have MCU2. Mine is a 2014 Model S, so I had to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. Once I did, a lot of the bugs and quirkiness I experienced went away.

It's weird though that the entire icon is disappearing. I've seen it change from opaque to translucent and back, but never have I seen the entire completely vanish.

Try what the person above me recommended. Perhaps that will stabilize the application. Alternatively, you can do a "scroll wheel" reboot (pressing and holding both steering wheel scroll wheels simultaneously until the MCU restarts). Sometimes that fixes anomalies.

Last edited:
Ok, I think this may be related to GPS, but not sure. Here is what I’m seeing.

1) In the garage, homelink icon is visible. If I go on a trip, icon stays on screen until I park and exit the car.
2) When I return to car, homelink icon is gone and does not show up when I get home.
3) If I do a reset before going back home via changing the wheel size (but not double button), then when I get close to home, the homelink icon shows up and works perfectly.
4) After I get home in a Step 2 situation, I park the car, exit, and come back, the homelink icon is back on the screen, and will stay on the screen until I park the car. (I.e., step 1 to step 2 situation).

These are repeatable.

I did go into the service menu, and under the GNSS setting, the buttons are orange for Sats in Use:0, and Dead Reckoning (See pic below).

Other data: car has 145 miles on it, and it’s been quite cloudy here the last few days in SoCal.

Questions: is this a GPS issue and should I put in a service appt? Does it take a while to get a good GPS fix and maybe this will resolve itself after more miles are driven? Anything else I should consider trying (I did try resetting home and Homelink settings as was suggested above)?

IMG_6478.jpeg

Open up a service ticket on the app. If they can remotely fix it, they usually will.

Thanks. That’s a bummer. Hopefully they can, but I worry that it’s related to the antenna or the actual GPS unit.

I already have a service visit scheduled for 9/11 to fix a minor door alignment. Will add this to the visit, but hopefully they can fix remotely as you suggested.

Thread update. Well, my GPS froze again today, so I’m guessing this is the problem underlying the homelink issue. Scroll wheel reset didn’t work, and neither did the changing wheel size reset (which some have said fixed the freezing). Sent some pics, etc to Tesla, and have an appt on Monday. Not sure what else I can do. Wish me luck.

Reactions: DerbyDave