Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gps location stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gps is stuck with no visuals and no speed limit
Tesla has an estimate of 1,800 to replace the whole computer when it’s just the gps that’s messed up if anyone knows what to do pls and thank you
Also i already did a soft reset via scroll wheel reset and a hard reboot using the power off someone did mention that i should unplug the 12v and let it sit for 5 mins but i don’t want to mess with the battery in any type of way…

Attachments

• IMG_6845.jpeg
    IMG_6845.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 329
Have same issue with our 2023 Model S. Three days in shop. They said others are having these issues and should be fixed with a firmware update. Not sure I believe them, but we shall see.
Same issue here, ‘23 Model S, GPS froze yesterday. Scroll wheel reboot didn’t help. Going to try power-down full reboot tonight, and try wheel size change trick if needed too. Will report back.

Well, hard to say what the solution was, or even if it is indeed fixed: My wife opened a service ticket with Tesla mid-day yesterday, and on her drive home it was working normally. Tesla hasnt responded to the ticket yet. It may have self-resolved, or Tesla may have done remote diagnostics and not said anything.

More out of curiosity than anything, I did the “wheel size change” trick: If you go into settings, there’s an area where you can adjust the wheel size you have installed on the car, and it reboots after you save it. Comes back up, you change it back to the correct size, it reboots again. I had read this reboot resets a lot of things in the background that a regular scroll-wheel reboot does not. Worth a try if anyone else is having a similar problem.

Unfortunately this issue quickly came back. GPS was frozen for about a week, even after reboots, wheel size changes, and full power downs. Has been permanently stuck at a nearby location (incidentally, somewhere we have never been or driven past). We have been conversing with Service via the app for about 2 weeks, they have done their usual remote diagnostics, with no success. Out of nowhere it started working again mid-drive a few days ago; we’ll see how long that lasts. Have a mobile service appointment this week, we’ll see what they say.

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Unfortunately this issue quickly came back. GPS was frozen for about a week, even after reboots, wheel size changes, and full power downs. Has been permanently stuck at a nearby location (incidentally, somewhere we have never been or driven past). We have been conversing with Service via the app for about 2 weeks, they have done their usual remote diagnostics, with no success. Out of nowhere it started working again mid-drive a few days ago; we’ll see how long that lasts. Have a mobile service appointment this week, we’ll see what they say.
Any luck with this? My '23 Model S started doing this if it sits more than 24 hours. After about 3 mins of driving, it fixes itself. I have the latest update that brought FSD and Spotify refresh to HW4.0 cars.

My '23 Model S also have the same issue (GPS location not updating). And all the cameras have stopped working (black screen) as well.
I tried the soft & hard reboot but did not fix the issue. will bring the car to the service center for further diagnostic.
All those issues surfaced one day after I updated the firmware to 2023.38.4

I’m also having the same issue with ‘23 X, gps has gotten stuck twice in the last week with the latest update. Mobile service is set to come next week but it’s really frustrating!

Received a message from Tesla Services mentioned that the issues (no camera, no gps) I am experiencing is a characteristic of the current firmware version (2023.38.4) which Tesla engineering teams are working on correcting this in a future over the air update. Tesla has requested me to cancel my current appt since there is no hardware faults for the service team to address.

Same problem here! 2023 MYLR. 2023.38.4 Had the car at the service center for a full day. They returned it to me in the same condition as when I came in, Nav screen frozen, and all the cameras inoperative with all the associated features not working. Was told to wait for a software update. I am very skeptical that this is going to magically fix the problem! There has to be more to it than just software. If it was just a software issue then why aren't all the cars running this version having the same problem? In the meantime, we're faced with driving a severely crippled car with only 2500 miles on it! Disappointing!

After doing a hard reset (disconnecting & reconnecting 12v), all the cameras are back on for now as well as GPS location is getting updated. The car also installed the 2023.38.6 firmware (before the hard reset, it was stuck at downloading 100%). Let's see how long the camera will stay alive for. I am going to leave my sentry mode on for now to keep the car awake.

After doing a hard reset (disconnecting & reconnecting 12v), all the cameras are back on for now as well as GPS location is getting updated. The car also installed the 2023.38.6 firmware (before the hard reset, it was stuck at downloading 100%). Let's see how long the camera will stay alive for. I am going to leave my sentry mode on for now to keep the car awake.
I also have a 2023 MSLR with a frozen GPS. It froze first on Oct 25 for 20 minutes, then a couple of days back, stayed frozen for two days. I'm on 2023.38.6 since yesterday and it didn't fix it. Cameras work normally, though.
Also waiting to hear back from service.

After doing a hard reset (disconnecting & reconnecting 12v),

An easier way to perform a deep reboot is to go to the menu and change the wheel size, this will cause the car to perform a deep reboot. Once it is back up, change it back and the car will reboot again. I understand this is as good as the battery disconnect method.

BTW, if you disconnect the battery and fail to also disconnect the emergency responder loop the 12v system may remain powered. Thus, after disconnecting the 12v battery you then disconnect the responder loop. After reconnecting the battery you then reconnect the responder loop.

Following this thread as I am experiencing the same GPS marker stuck issue on my 2023 Model S Plaid running latest available firmware 2023.38.6.

This in fact, is the 3rd time the same issue has come back, after 2 service center visits during which the car was kept for over 4 weeks between September and November 2023.

Fixes attempted:

1. Self: dual-button / soft reboot
  2. Self: change tire size / deep reboot (rebooted somewhat quickly, not sure if it was truly deep)
  3. 1st Service Center: replaced GPS antenna in the driver side mirror (problem fixed, GPS became functional)
  4. 2nd Service Center: replaced car computer as GPS antenna and wiring confirmed to be functional, GPS was working; upon returning picking up the car, discovered streaming audio (Spotify, Apple Music with premium connectivity) stopped working, which required another week of diagnosis at the service center, resulting in a car computer replacement as per service summary
After ~2 months of dealing with the same issue after taking delivery of this car in May, GPS marker issue has returned now for the 3rd time, seemingly after a recent firmware upgrade. The car itself was seldom driven since the 2nd service center visit, and GPS magically stopped working... :(

Anyone has additional insights to share to help as I am waiting another 3 weeks till early December for the next available service appointment?

Thanks in advance!

The service center diagnostic from about 3 weeks ago showed that GPS antenna couldn’t find a signal at times so they scheduled a mobile appt to replace the GPS module/antenna which they did yesterday. Funny enough, I had no issue with it for the last 3 weeks. No issues since the replacement but it’s only been a day so will report back.

Following this thread as I am experiencing the same GPS marker stuck issue on my 2023 Model S Plaid running latest available firmware 2023.38.6.

This in fact, is the 3rd time the same issue has come back, after 2 service center visits during which the car was kept for over 4 weeks between September and November 2023.

Fixes attempted:

1. Self: dual-button / soft reboot
  2. Self: change tire size / deep reboot (rebooted somewhat quickly, not sure if it was truly deep)
  3. 1st Service Center: replaced GPS antenna in the driver side mirror (problem fixed, GPS became functional)
  4. 2nd Service Center: replaced car computer as GPS antenna and wiring confirmed to be functional, GPS was working; upon returning picking up the car, discovered streaming audio (Spotify, Apple Music with premium connectivity) stopped working, which required another week of diagnosis at the service center, resulting in a car computer replacement as per service summary
After ~2 months of dealing with the same issue after taking delivery of this car in May, GPS marker issue has returned now for the 3rd time, seemingly after a recent firmware upgrade. The car itself was seldom driven since the 2nd service center visit, and GPS magically stopped working... :(

Anyone has additional insights to share to help as I am waiting another 3 weeks till early December for the next available service appointment?

Thanks in advance!
Do you keep it in a garage? I had the most incidents with the marker when I haven’t driven in a few days and it’s parked in my apartment building’s multi-level garage (although I’m usually parked near an opening to the outside).

My '23 Model S also have the same issue (GPS location not updating). And all the cameras have stopped working (black screen) as well.
I tried the soft & hard reboot but did not fix the issue. will bring the car to the service center for further diagnostic.
All those issues surfaced one day after I updated the firmware to 2023.38.4
Hi,

New to the forums! 1st post about the same issue: '23 Model S Plaid....problems appeared first with 2023.38.4. No GPS, no cameras and of course no other perks related to cameras. Today I left the car at Tesla Service still stuck on 38.4 despite the car downloading 38.6, then 38.8 and even recently 38.9 without any successful installation (it gets stuck at downloading 100%).

An easier way to perform a deep reboot is to go to the menu and change the wheel size, this will cause the car to perform a deep reboot. Once it is back up, change it back and the car will reboot again. I understand this is as good as the battery disconnect method.

BTW, if you disconnect the battery and fail to also disconnect the emergency responder loop the 12v system may remain powered. Thus, after disconnecting the 12v battery you then disconnect the responder loop. After reconnecting the battery you then reconnect the responder loop.
Tried your suggestion with the tire size change but to no avail.

Did not have the nerve to disconnect the 12v battery as the car is still in warranty and had no idea how to disconnect the responder loop. What is that BTW?

When the car is awake, power from the LV system is suppled through the First Responder Loop to the HV contactor, which closes and energizes the HV system. In an accident, EMS will cut that cord to disable the car from engaging the HV system, but there is also a plug that can be unplugged, instead. When you change the LV battery you disconnect the loop to ensure the contactor is open and that no power is being supplied to the LV system.