Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I've order a base model Tesla Model Y in Auckland, New Zealand. The expected arrival date I've been given is 16 Mar - 30 Mar. If it's due in a month, when will we see a ship destined for Auckland, New Zealand?
You’re in the wrong thread haha but here have this link, morning crystal is the answer if that’s the expect date of the ship and not the car otherwise if it’s the cars date it’s probably Paganella which is alongside now.

You’re in the wrong thread haha but here have this link, morning crystal is the answer if that’s the expect date of the ship and not the car otherwise if it’s the cars date it’s probably Paganella which is alongside now.
Ah thank you. Could you point me to the correct thread?

If the car delivery date say 16 Mar to 31 Mar you’re saying it’s likely Paganella?

Attachments

• 24EF9654-8AC5-4829-B5C3-8637B58A8091.jpeg
    24EF9654-8AC5-4829-B5C3-8637B58A8091.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thank you. Could you point me to the correct thread?

If the car delivery date say 16 Mar to 31 Mar you’re saying it’s likely Paganella?
Just look under the Asia pacific region and go to New Zealand. Alternatively just join in the convo with the Aussie one as we have some kiwis there too.

Tesla New Zealand seems to run things differently to aus, you get vins assigned at the factory where as we get them assigned on the ship. Paganella fits it well however morning crystal has had delays and maybe Tesla hasn’t taken that into account. My opinion is if the EDD stays the same as it gets closer, it’s Paganella, if it pushes right at all from here though then that confirms morning crystal.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I check this thread daily to see if any of the south port boats might be heading to aus for once. Our wait times are ridiculous compared to the rest of the world unfortunately.

Last edited:
So, from a UK perspective, my delivery window is currently Mar 27-31. I have no VIN yet on my order.

What sort of lead time are we looking at on average from when the ship docks until collection date? I know it likely varies, but for example if the Dream Orchid is docking on 19th March is that likely to be my boat? At what point on the journey should a VIN be visible on my account?

So, from a UK perspective, my delivery window is currently Mar 27-31. I have no VIN yet on my order.

What sort of lead time are we looking at on average from when the ship docks until collection date? I know it likely varies, but for example if the Dream Orchid is docking on 19th March is that likely to be my boat? At what point on the journey should a VIN be visible on my account?
I received my VIN on 2nd Feb via text message. My delivery date is booked for 1st March, so if that's anything to go by, you can allow about a month between VIN to delivery I guess?

Tesla have stated they are going to move away from trying to have on cars in the delivery pipeline at the end of quarters.
They only said that because they were going to have cars in transit over the quarter end and look at the headlines it generated "Tesla sitting on 71,000 unsold cars!" etc. It resulted in a (needless) global drastic price drop. The shortage of RoRo capacity, particularly in the Far East where the car industry has more or less fully recovered, is making life hard for Tesla who traditionally like to pick up the phone and demand a ship in 10 days time to go halfway round the world. You can't do that anymore and Tesla has had to be more disciplined in forecasting its production and shipping requirements months in advance. All very alien to the current Tesla 'agile' business model where production can be shifted from one market to another at the merest hint of stickiness. Long term charters are probably the answer unless Tesla wants to get into shipping itself. (That is not such an outlandish idea but one that other car manufacturers have resorted to in order to reduce significant costs and have ships where and when they want them). We are now seeing Tesla use a ship to export to EU from Shanghai and then use the same ship to export Berlin product to Taiwan. (DREAM ORCHID and GOLD XING) We have seen a long term charter (MSC IMMACOLATA from Nov 22 to Feb 23) and we have seen numerous 'shared' charters with Hyundai/Kia. It's rumoured that one manufacturer in the Far East has resorted to shipping by container because of the shortage of RoRo capacity (LINK to story.) I am aware that Tesla did that for S/X exports for many years but that was for different reasons and shipment as parts would require a reassembly facility and Tilburg was closed.
Anyway, I digress, back to the quarter-end issue. Tesla swallowed a very bitter pill at the end of Q422 and now it has a choice:
a. Do everything to avoid shipping over the quarter-end and reap a 71,000 car bonus for a bumper Q1 23 or
b. Continue to ship over the quarter-end and take criticism in comprisons to Q1 22 and continued focus on unsold stock.

I suspect they will choose a. a bumper quarter. (unless of course, they can't source the ships!)

Just look under the Asia pacific region and go to New Zealand. Alternatively just join in the convo with the Aussie one as we have some kiwis there too.

Tesla New Zealand seems to run things differently to aus, you get vins assigned at the factory where as we get them assigned on the ship. Paganella fits it well however morning crystal has had delays and maybe Tesla hasn’t taken that into account. My opinion is if the EDD stays the same as it gets closer, it’s Paganella, if it pushes right at all from here though then that confirms morning crystal.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I check this thread daily to see if any of the south port boats might be heading to aus for once. Our wait times are ridiculous compared to the rest of the world unfortunately.
You won't be the 1st Aus on here and you won't be the last either. Australian/NZ interest seems to come in peaks and troughs.
You have correctly identified the usual ships that Tesla have used in the past but that is not to say they will continue using them (maybe for NZ). MSC IMMACOLATA is an example where just last quarter Tesla sent a whole ship to Oz. We have also seen direct shipments to Fremantle from Shanghai and was I disappointed to learn that no Teslas were apparently onboard COMET ACE which arrived there on Monday. I still can't believe it but there we are.
Aus/NZ shipments are definitely of interest to this thread because if nothing else, it indicates a RHD production run.

PS I'm interested to see if GRANDE MIRAFIORI will be loading any Teslas - Dep Shanghai 18 Feb Arr Brisbane 28 Feb Arr Port Kembla 06 Mar

Last edited:
Reactions: XHabjab and Dannerz
Some news about Israel Ashdod port shipping?🙏🏽🥺
I've just been on the Ashdod arrivals website and there is nothing of interest from Shanghai showing there.
We have COSCO TENGFEI now in the Red Sea and we don't know where she is heading. (She's in Derince on 25 Feb but where is she before that?)
If she were to head to Ashdod I would expect her to arrive 19 Feb.

Last edited:
Despite being in the UK and Ireland forum , this thread has definitely become one of international recognition. Mr Miserable needs to start charging a consultancy fee!😆
The thing is you can't look at UK shipments in isolation and this thread has always attracted an international audience because it's free and generally more accurate than elsewhere. If you are in the UK and want to switch to Octopus I would be grateful for folk to use my referral!

Last edited:
Tuesday 14 Feb 23 SUMMARY

GRAND MARK
ETA Southampton Western Docks 16:30 17 Feb. Note revised ETA.

LAKE KIVU ETA Zeebrugge 18 Feb.

HOEGH TRAPPER ETA Zeebrugge 22 Feb. This is not a Tesla charter but a scheduled service however she is carrying Teslas to Zeebrugge. It looks like she may make a brief stop at Algeciras before carrying on to Zeebrugge.

COSCO TENGFEI : She remains a suspect for the moment....Destination still undetermined.

RCC PASSION ETA Koper 27 Feb. A prime suspect at the moment.

HOEGH CHIBA ETA Zeebrugge 02 Mar. Shipment of RHD for Ireland in addition to LHD cars confirmed to be onboard.

GLOVIS SUNRISE I suspect she may be heading to Zeebrugge ETA ~08 Mar

GLOVIS SUMMIT I suspect she may be heading to Southampton ETA ~11 Mar

DREAM ORCHID Departed to Pyeongtaek, S Korea. Will then head to Southampton ETA 19 Mar and Zeebrugge 22 Mar.

GRANDE NEW JERSEY now alongside at Shanghai South. ETA Southampton 16 Mar

GRAND RUBY is next to dock at Shanghai South. She will head to NW Europe.

Could PLATINUM RAY be next??

Not every ship departing Shanghai South will definitely be carrying Teslas and it may take some time to rule out the 'non-players.'

You can follow the ships on this map. It is quite unique in that it is free despite being updated via satellite with the latest data available, unlike others on the internet with 'periodic' updates.