Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X work with CCS charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Brain Trust-

I have a 2023 Model X coming in about a week. I also have a 2019 Model S.

When I wanted to make the Model S compatible with the CCS charging network, I had to buy the adapter and schedule a mobile service visit to make some hardware (I assume?) changes to the car. The Tesla salesman who sold us the Model X says we don't need to make a service appointment for our new Model X as it is already good to go- all we need is the adapter which we already have. Is this really true?

Thanks!

Is this really true?
Yes, that should be true.
I will up that to more than "should be". It is 100% certain that a car being delivered now already has the new charge controller board in it that can speak CCS protocol, so there will not be any need for a retrofit. The port won't match CCS, though, so you will need to buy the adapter for the plug to make it fit.

I will up that to more than "should be". It is 100% certain that a car being delivered now already has the new charge controller board in it that can speak CCS protocol,
I wish I could be so certain. What if there is another CCS chip shortage? Will they start installing ECUs that don't have the chip again? (I don't think CCS compatibility is listed as a feature, so they could do that, but they probably won't do that again.)

Last edited:
I wish I could be so certain. What if there is another CCS chip shortage? Will they start installing ECUs that don't have the chip again? (I don't think CCS compatibility is listed as a feature, so they could do that, but they probably won't do that again.)
Oh. Well, I thought they had finally gotten to a point where they list it as a feature now, so it must be included, but I see that is still missing on their website. So you are correct if they run into that problem again.

Reactions: ualdriver
TMC Brain Trust-

I have a 2023 Model X coming in about a week. I also have a 2019 Model S.

When I wanted to make the Model S compatible with the CCS charging network, I had to buy the adapter and schedule a mobile service visit to make some hardware (I assume?) changes to the car. The Tesla salesman who sold us the Model X says we don't need to make a service appointment for our new Model X as it is already good to go- all we need is the adapter which we already have. Is this really true?

Thanks!
Yes true. My 2022 has the feature, and with the adapter, I have used it a few times. Pretty rare though, to find one where there are no Superchargers nearby. Although many non-Tesla chargers are advertised to be 350 kW, that will only be achieved by vehicles running 800 volts. Tesla uses a 400V system. Typically I only get 100 to 130 kW out of them. A V3 Supercharger is always much faster, 250 to 260 kW, and cheaper.

I will up that to more than "should be". It is 100% certain that a car being delivered now already has the new charge controller board in it that can speak CCS protocol, so there will not be any need for a retrofit. The port won't match CCS, though, so you will need to buy the adapter for the plug to make it fit.
Great news thanks! We already have the adapter.