Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 20.1 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't do it yet.

I have a 2018 Model X that got 2014.20.1 ("v12") last week, and I would not recommend it. Several of my touchscreen buttons now don't work (Close All, Front Trunk, and Trunk). The trunks work from the key fob, so I know it's not a mechanical issue. Also, driver profiles no longer adjust the seat and mirrors, a luxury I had become surprisingly reliant on. I have logged bug reports through the voice control system.

When I scheduled a service request with those issues listed, the first available appointment was August 2(!) and the estimate was $153 for diagnostics. No thanks. I'm trying to find any other references to this update to see if these issues are pervasive. Hoping they are fixed in the next update.

YMMV.
-DDR

I am out of town on business in our ICE vehicle and my wife is home with our Model Y before I install the latest software update available to me 2024.20.1 I wanted to see if anyone had run into any issues especially since I am not there and only the wife is.

There isnt any reason you cant wait till your back at home, if this is something you are concerned about (updating the car when you are not there, and only your wife is). Just dont apply the update, and wait till you get back.

Maybe I'm crazy but my air conditioner doesn't seem to work as well after the update.

The release notes talk about some changes there. I can't put my finger on it other than the regulation of temperature does not seem to work as well - the temperature seems to swing across a wider range than it use to. My head will get warm so I turn the temperature down and direct the flow higher vertically. Then it will get cool so I readjust again. Never had to do that before.

Again I could be crazy but it sure seemed better before the update. I also notice that the low frequency that you hear sometimes from the A/C seems to cycle more often. 🤔

Some reported issues with the latest releases
-some people say dog mode is broken
-some people say regen braking is not as strong (I would tend to agree)
-20.1 breaks some functions like range and battery % on 3rd party dash displays (Hansshow/TMA, etc). Both have updates out to fix, however.

Generally, most of the time nothing goes wrong with an update. But there are some rare cases where things can go catastrophically wrong. Eg the car is bricked and not drivable.

So it’s usually a good idea to not apply updates away from home. Especially when you’re out of town traveling. Very rare for something to go awry but you don’t want to be out of town in case you draw the short stick.

No issue with Dog Mode, works as always.
But when I exit the car I've always press the left scroll wheel to pause whatever music has been playing and when reentering the car for a new drive, press the left scroll to resume the music when I'm ready to hear it. With 2024.20.1 the music resumes as soon as I open the driver's door. Not a biggie, but a change in behavior.
Also, while auto wipers seem "better", still getting occasional dry wipes in glorious sunshine.