Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model Y Canada Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening,

I have ordered a 2024 Model Y RWD here in Canada, I have gotten my vin which when i look online it decodes as a fremont build. I have spoken to 3 people prior to delivery and asked them all to confirm that this has the LFP battery. All including my sales advisor have confirmed that it does in fact have the LFP battery. Some info online contradicts this. Any info on the matter?

I haven't done a supercharge yet, so I am not sure- is there another way to find out? But I had assumed only Berlin uses BYD?
The reason why I am asking, I ordered a Model Y RWD on the 5th of March and the Tesla advisor told me that all Model Y and 3 delivered in Canada are made in China. The next day I realized that the Model Y RWD is actually made in Fremont and delivered to Canada with an LFP battery. After a bit of research, some people are saying that the Model Y RWD made in Fremont for the Canadian market is a BYD blade which I have trouble to believe. If you look at your VIN number the 7th symbol is a letter, if the letter is an E its a Blade and if its F it is a CATL.

adding some info as of 03/14/2024 -
Ordered a MYLR in greater Toronto area. Advisor said this when I asked which battery type it’ll have.

“LFP is only for RWD Model's on all AWD you can always charge to 100% but at the 80% is 400 plus KM this is just for daily commute. If you are heading across Canada or down to the USA you then would charge to 100% in the AWD option. Both are good for daily and long trips.”

adding some info as of 03/14/2024 -
Ordered a MYLR in greater Toronto area. Advisor said this when I asked which battery type it’ll have.

“LFP is only for RWD Model's on all AWD you can always charge to 100% but at the 80% is 400 plus KM this is just for daily commute. If you are heading across Canada or down to the USA you then would charge to 100% in the AWD option. Both are good for daily and long trips.”
The Advisor is 100% right…in the MYLR you will have an lithium(NMC) chemistry charge to 80% daily and 100% when you go on long trips…the RWD is lithium(LPF) chemistry needs to be charged at least once a week to a 100% for BMS calibration and it is a bit of a tougher battery should out last the car. The MYLR battery also needs to charged up every so often to 100% for the same purpose to balance the BMS. That being said once your battery is at 100% you should leave right away because it does not like being in a high charge state like that compared to the LFP battery, but it must be done. There is a lot of YouTubers who explain lithium batteries a lot better than I do. A YouTuber that I recommend is TeslaBorjn. Enjoy your new MYLR.