Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024; Tesla's Tipping Point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering worldwide BEV demand softening and lower than expected 2024 Q1 Tesla deliveries (despite many demand levers).

Further, today's announcement of 10% reduction in Tesla workforce. And today's dual departure of two high level executives (8 year Rohan Patel and 16 year Drew Baglino)

Beginning of the end, temporary slip, no need to worry, look out for even better things ahead?

Next week's Tesla earnings call should be enlightening.

Still love my 2012 P85. I better after paying close to $30k for new pack, new RDU, new PTC heater, MCU2 uprade :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MD70
Considering worldwide BEV demand softening and lower than expected 2024 Q1 Tesla deliveries (despite many demand levers).

Further, today's announcement of 10% reduction in Tesla workforce. And today's dual departure of two high level executives (8 year Rohan Patel and 16 year Drew Baglino)

Beginning of the end, temporary slip, no need to worry, look out for even better things ahead?

Still love my 2012 P85. I better after paying close to $30k for new pack, new RDU, new PTC heater, MCU2 uprade :)
Cybertruck being a disappointment ; Elon tweeting crazy stuff and going all in with a certain party ; Model 2 delayed/canceled? .... at the same time Ford being now fully enabled for SuperCharger network and lowering the price for Cybertruck / Mach E again... this might just be throwing a lifeline to other OEMs. Plenty of capable EVs around without the noise/distraction/over-promise-underdeliver.

Heck - a dealer in my area has a brand new F150 pro trim AWD Lightning with extended battery (320 miles EPA) for sale for ... $53k ..... that's $30k less than the Cybertruck....

Cybertruck being a disappointment ; Elon tweeting crazy stuff and going all in with a certain party ; Model 2 delayed/canceled? .... at the same time Ford being now fully enabled for SuperCharger network and lowering the price for Cybertruck / Mach E again... this might just be throwing a lifeline to other OEMs. Plenty of capable EVs around without the noise/distraction/over-promise-underdeliver.

Heck - a dealer in my area has a brand new F150 pro trim AWD Lightning with extended battery (320 miles EPA) for sale for ... $53k ..... that's $30k less than the Cybertruck....
There's zero chance Ford continues making BEVs if Tesla ceases to exist tomorrow.

Tesla won't cease to exist. But I can see some Tesla demand shifting over to Ford... for e.g. if you want an EV truck *now* without willing to spend $80k+ and wait for months. Of if you want a more luxurious Model Y....
Hence the word "if" because it doesn't require you to believe they will to agree with the statement. The _only_ reason Ford (and other established manufacturers) even build BEVs is Tesla's recent market share trends. If the disruption ceases to exist they'd no longer have a motivation to hedge against ICE production.

Reactions: MD70

Where did you see that wrldwide BEV is softning. Most everywhere I see says that it's still going strong. It's the US that is having some issues, and I blame that mostly on Chevy and Ford's FUD being broadcast.

Worldwide demand for just about everything is softening, which is exactly what the central banks are trying to accomplish.
Then why are other EV manufacturers sales better or as good as previous. It was Detroit that first felt the problem, GM I believe first. Which is a Duh after they kill the Volt and announce the Bolt was EOtL (end of this life). Then Ford, because they were having production issues (but blamed it on actually having dealer inventory at the few dealers that want to sell them.)

It's a sign that EV growth is slowing, and more competition is entering the marketplace. It's not "the end", Tesla is here to stay. They have to manage their production to fit demand, which they'll do. They should update their interior and features to match their competitors, which they may not do. The Blazer and Mustang are currently superior competitive options to the Model Y, IMO.

The EV market is limited. You have to have overnight charging capacity at home, which apartment dwellers don't have. The range has to fit your use, which is less of an issue now, and it has to fit your budget. That said, EV's are also here to stay. They just have to fit your household's requirements.

I'm a fan of Tesla and Elon. It's good to see someone with his influence standing up for some core Constitutional principles. I'd just like Tesla to update their interior and options. The neutered minimalist cost cutting approach doesn't work for me, and most normal car buyers.

The Blazer and Mustang are currently superior competitive options to the Model Y, IMO.
Have you spent any significant time with these cars? Tesla’s got some work to do on the entire lineup to be certain but these cars are very much first gen products in their infancy.

The Blazer’s software is an unmitigated dumpster fire - so bad they had to completely stop selling them for months. They have many many more major releases to get it to something resembling stability.

The Mach E is a great car but has similar software niggles, charging limitations, and other blaring signs of a gen 1 release. I really wanted to like them both but after a more than fair shot and extended analysis we bought a Y. It’s really the superior car in just about every way right now, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Then why are other EV manufacturers sales better or as good as previous.
It’s easy to have “increased sales” when your market position is a rounding error compared to the established players.

Some are benefiting from the notoriety of FINALLY delivering new products at a time when Tesla’s lineup feels as stale as ever. But that’s likely a temporary blip of interest for new products. Everyone is facing the same headwinds. Not many people want to finance a new car at 7%.

Reactions: drb3333
Have you spent any significant time with these cars? Tesla’s got some work to do on the entire lineup to be certain but these cars are very much first gen products in their infancy.

The Blazer’s software is an unmitigated dumpster fire - so bad they had to completely stop selling them for months. They have many many more major releases to get it to something resembling stability.

The Mach E is a great car but has similar software niggles, charging limitations, and other blaring signs of a gen 1 release. I really wanted to like them both but after a more than fair shot and extended analysis we bought a Y. It’s really the superior car in just about every way right now, for better or worse.
A significant amount of time, no, but that's the case with any car I don't own. Some, yes. Chevy has fixed the software issues, and it's not like Tesla hasn't had any. Software is the easiest issue to fix. If I was buying a car in that size today, I'd get the Mustang Rally Edition or a Blazer over a Model Y. Dual expansive screens, built in Sirius XM, manual controls where they make sense, and nicer interior are the reasons why. Both have a good enough range for me, and that range isn't overstated like Tesla is infamous for. The Ultium battery in the Blazer also allows for smaller battery modules to be replaced when a cell goes bad, vs the entire pack.

Again, I'm a fan of Tesla, but not the interior or function cutting.

Software is the easiest issue to fix.
You’d think so, but so far it’s been the Achilles heel for EVERY EV maker and the legacy companies are having by far the worst time at it.

VW/Audi, GM, Ford, Kia/Hyundai… great auto manufacturers, not so much on the software engineering and it’s majorly impacting the cars and the overall experience of owning and living with them.

Reactions: RNHurt and WyoDude
It’s easy to have “increased sales” when your market position is a rounding error compared to the established players.

Some are benefiting from the notoriety of FINALLY delivering new products at a time when Tesla’s lineup feels as stale as ever. But that’s likely a temporary blip of interest for new products. Everyone is facing the same headwinds. Not many people want to finance a new car at 7%.
You need to go lookup the details. The #1 selling new car isn't exactly a decimal point.