Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024; Tesla's Tipping Point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a sign that EV growth is slowing, and more competition is entering the marketplace. It's not "the end", Tesla is here to stay. They have to manage their production to fit demand, which they'll do. They should update their interior and features to match their competitors, which they may not do. The Blazer and Mustang are currently superior competitive options to the Model Y, IMO.

The EV market is limited. You have to have overnight charging capacity at home, which apartment dwellers don't have. The range has to fit your use, which is less of an issue now, and it has to fit your budget. That said, EV's are also here to stay. They just have to fit your household's requirements.

I'm a fan of Tesla and Elon. It's good to see someone with his influence standing up for some core Constitutional principles. I'd just like Tesla to update their interior and options. The neutered minimalist cost cutting approach doesn't work for me, and most normal car buyers.
The Blazer? The world's most unreliable software cluster---? Superior competitive option to the Model Y?

Here's the problem when you're posting absolute nonsense like that: it tends to throw massive shade on any other point that you might make that could be more realistic. I've driven both the Mustang Mach-e and someone in our family owns a performance Tesla Model Y. They're not even in the same universe.

The Blazer? The world's most unreliable software cluster---? Superior competitive option to the Model Y?

Here's the problem when you're posting absolute nonsense like that: it tends to throw massive shade on any other point that you might make that could be more realistic. I've driven both the Mustang Mach-e and someone in our family owns a performance Tesla Model Y. They're not even in the same universe.

You’re right, the Mach-E is the better drivers car.

When will you all learn that software only matters so much. Tesla needs to evolve into making better driving cars.

When will you all learn that software only matters so much. Tesla needs to evolve into making better driving cars.
hands down. having driven both. and the Mach E comes with USS parking sensors and a 2 (!) functioning radars for TACC / lane keep assist. So no "phantom braking" or the car going into "guessing mode" on hot days on empty highways .... interior build quality noticeably nicer, quieter and better suspension.

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLAROD and dfwatt
hands down. having driven both. and the Mach E comes with USS parking sensors and a 2 (!) functioning radars for TACC / lane keep assist. So no "phantom braking" or the car going into "guessing mode" on hot days on empty highways .... interior build quality noticeably nicer, quieter and better suspension.
And yet Tesla still outsells every legacy automakers EVs outside of China (maybe). Wonder why? Just because of your opinion?

Glad you like yours I disagree that the Mustang is the better driver's car. If you like mushy ride, poor range, and uninspiring performance if you want good range, it's definitely the pick. But if you like lots of buttons, funky if not just plain miserable charging experience, and of course Ford's famous quality control and what Sandy Munro calls absolutely baffling design decisions, again the Mustang is your pick.

Reactions: ewoodrick
Software is the #1 differentiator and quality consideration in a modern car. I don't care how well a car drives if the UI/UX is a slow, buggy, impossible to deal with mess. It has the ability to ruin literally everything else.
With due respect to some of our friends who feel otherwise, I think this is the fundamental philosophical difference between a "Detroit car" and a "Silicon Valley car"; in my opinion Teslas exemplify the latter.

Some argue that more driveability is called for, while others embrace more of a basic transportation-centric simplicity. Probably room for both, but personally I don't miss a dashboard full of gee-gaws nor the compass-like speedometer below. YMMV.

The aficionado driving experience cannot be ignored either but hard to see why you need this rocket ship stuff for that.

1958_Edsel1-768x583.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Software is the #1 differentiator and quality consideration in a modern car. I don't care how well a car drives if the UI/UX is a slow, buggy, impossible to deal with mess. It has the ability to ruin literally everything else.
hard disagree. I enjoy my 2019 Model 3 but would gladly accept slight delays when route planning or a buggy UI at times for a smoother suspension and less road noise while also having a more premium cabin feel....

hard disagree. I enjoy my 2019 Model 3 but would gladly accept slight delays when route planning or a buggy UI at times for a smoother suspension and less road noise while also having a more premium cabin feel....
How would you feel if the infotainment system crashed daily?

What if your phone key or fob only worked ~50% of the time on the first try?

Car refused to wake up or go into gear without a multi-minute delay?

Audio system and/or Bluetooth are regularly completely non-responsive?

Incessant false alarms, alerts, or error messages?

Cameras fail to work for backing up or rendering external visualizations?

I’m not talking occasional slowness or niggles. Surely every car exhibits those to some degree. But the examples above are all real and an all too typical experience in a current EV from a legacy automaker.

No amount of comfortable suspension, reduced road noise, or Corinthian leather is going to make me tolerate that in a car for long. That’s what I mean by poor software can ruin literally everything else. It HAS to be at least “good enough.”

Tesla wasted its short lived period of dominance where they could have put a stranglehold on the industry. Focus on building the best product possible with the best customer experience. Instead they cut corners and knowingly deliver defective product and terrible CS. Now all of a sudden they’re gonna shift to taxis and robots when they can’t even build a car correctly?

Perhaps I’m wrong and Tesla can be like Netflix with the first mover advantage.

How would you feel if the infotainment system crashed daily?

What if your phone key or fob only worked ~50% of the time on the first try?

Car refused to wake up or go into gear without a multi-minute delay?

Audio system and/or Bluetooth are regularly completely non-responsive?

Incessant false alarms, alerts, or error messages?

Cameras fail to work for backing up or rendering external visualizations?

I’m not talking occasional slowness or niggles. Surely every car exhibits those to some degree. But the examples above are all real and an all too typical experience in a current EV from a legacy automaker.

No amount of comfortable suspension, reduced road noise, or Corinthian leather is going to make me tolerate that in a car for long. That’s what I mean by poor software can ruin literally everything else. It HAS to be at least “good enough.”
i feel like the model 3 highlander probably drives better than the legacy model 3's and is probably closer to the mach e drive experience

i rented a mach e for a week and while it drove great... the software was terrible and the cabin feels cramped... its like they couldnt decide if they wanted to actually make a mustang or a ford edge so they got the worst of both worlds

Reactions: drb3333 and ucmndd
i feel like the model 3 highlander probably drives better than the legacy model 3's and is probably closer to the mach e drive experience

i rented a mach e for a week and while it drove great... the software was terrible and the cabin feels cramped... its like they couldnt decide if they wanted to actually make a mustang or a ford edge so they got the worst of both worlds

Don’t let the new Model 3 fool you.

“Drives better and quieter” than what Model 3? The first one or the 2023? A lot of reviews start out with “I haven’t driven a Model 3 since 2018….” So yeah, there’s a big difference. But compare it to a 2023 and the difference is minimal