Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Arachnid Rims on Model X - Load Ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The range drop between the 20’s and the 22’s primarily has to do with the difference between the tire compounds (Rolling resistance) and virtually nothing to do with the weight or diameter of the wheels . The rolling diameter of the 20’s and 22’s OEM size tires are the about the same (rear staggered tires are actually a bit taller than the fronts). I’ve changed tires to harder compounds and been able to maintain the range with 21’s and 22’s on our S’s and X. The factory 20’s come with low rolling resistance all season tires (P cars actually get Performance tires in the smaller sizes though) and the factory 22" Perrelli Scorpion tires are Performance tires, hence the range dropping with OEM tires. You wouldn’t have the same cornering abilities with higher mileage tires but if you were looking to race a Tesla they are more drag strip than road track cars anyway.

The range drop between the 20’s and the 22’s primarily has to do with the difference between the tire compounds (Rolling resistance) and virtually nothing to do with the weight or diameter of the wheels . The rolling diameter of the 20’s and 22’s OEM size tires are the about the same (rear staggered tires are actually a bit taller than the fronts). I’ve changed tires to harder compounds and been able to maintain the range with 21’s and 22’s on our S’s and X. The factory 20’s come with low rolling resistance all season tires (P cars actually get Performance tires in the smaller sizes though) and the factory 22" Perrelli Scorpion tires are Performance tires, hence the range dropping with OEM tires. You wouldn’t have the same cornering abilities with higher mileage tires but if you were looking to race a Tesla they are more drag strip than road track cars anyway.

Interesting as I was comparing 21s to 21s arachnid vs turbine with same conti silents. What might give me the noticeable range pick up if not the wheel weight? I’ve never had anything other than 21s on S and 22s on X to compare.

Rolling resistance definitely matters as that’s friction. But I think you’re discounting other factors too much.

Wheel aerodynamics matter, that’s been proven with aero wheel covers. Open wheels should get less range than wheels with less open space, and in general wheels of the same design have more open space on the wheel face the larger they get. At the end of the day this is also resistance.

Wheel weights...my verdict is not out on this yet. Girodisc has done some “testing” and made claims their brake discs weigh 10lbs less per wheel and resulted in a 8% energy savings. The same principle applies to the unsprung wheel weight. However, I have to say that based on my own experiences I am intrigued as to just how much weight does it doesn’t matter.

My package switched wheels and tires, so there’s too many variables to factor in. All I’m stating is that with my combo, I’m barely seeing an increase in consumption over the OEM 20s.

Rolling resistance definitely matters as that’s friction. But I think you’re discounting other factors too much.

Wheel aerodynamics matter, that’s been proven with aero wheel covers. Open wheels should get less range than wheels with less open space, and in general wheels of the same design have more open space on the wheel face the larger they get. At the end of the day this is also resistance.

Wheel weights...my verdict is not out on this yet. Girodisc has done some “testing” and made claims their brake discs weigh 10lbs less per wheel and resulted in a 8% energy savings. The same principle applies to the unsprung wheel weight. However, I have to say that based on my own experiences I am intrigued as to just how much weight does it doesn’t matter.

My package switched wheels and tires, so there’s too many variables to factor in. All I’m stating is that with my combo, I’m barely seeing an increase in consumption over the OEM 20s.
Be careful when reading about 8% energy saving on dropping 40 lbs and thinking that they are saying the car uses 8% energy to drive. I’m sure they are not talking about using 8% less energy to move the car down the road, rather 8% energy to rotate their disc over the 10 lb heavier disc which amounts to roughly zero energy savings when driving the car. We were talking about 20" to 22" wheels, not aero wheels which actually use 100% more of a rare form of ugly energy going down the road:)

Why not just go with 22 TSS wheels? I've been getting the same range with these as the 20" OEM wheels.
b7c055c8-1620-43d2-a338-cdec8fe2b614-jpeg.432924

The problem with 22 TSS wheels is that they are not true Forged wheels. They are flow formed and many sellers claim they are just like a forged wheel, but they are heavy and do not have the same material structure/strength. I would recommend the Forged MX115 wheel or OEM Arachnids.

22 TSS Wheel Specifications:
  • Size: 22x9.0" Front, 22x10" Rear
  • Offset: +30 Front, +40 Rear
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • Weight: 22x9": 32.15 lbs; 22x10": 34.3 lbs
  • Price: $ 2,600 - $ 2,800
22" MX115 Wheel Specifications:
  • Size: 22X9.0", 22X10.0
  • Offset: +25 front, +25 rear
  • PCD: 5X120
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Lug Nut Specs: 21mm, 14X1.50
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
  • Weight: 24.6lbs front, 25.8lbs rear
  • Price: $ 5,000.00 - $ 8,000.00

The problem with 22 TSS wheels is that they are not true Forged wheels. They are flow formed and many sellers claim they are just like a forged wheel, but they are heavy and do not have the same material structure/strength. I would recommend the Forged MX115 wheel or OEM Arachnids.

22 TSS Wheel Specifications:
  • Size: 22x9.0" Front, 22x10" Rear
  • Offset: +30 Front, +40 Rear
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • Weight: 22x9": 32.15 lbs; 22x10": 34.3 lbs
  • Price: $ 2,600 - $ 2,800
22" MX115 Wheel Specifications:
  • Size: 22X9.0", 22X10.0
  • Offset: +25 front, +25 rear
  • PCD: 5X120
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Lug Nut Specs: 21mm, 14X1.50
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
  • Weight: 24.6lbs front, 25.8lbs rear
  • Price: $ 5,000.00 - $ 8,000.00

Thats 100% correct. The MX115 will be significantly lighter and a true forged. It’s a good deal more expensive though. And the flow forged wheels are a decent amount lighter than cast wheels. (BC Forged among others will do a fully forged wheel for a price in between the two TSportline wheels)

But if one is looking for the look of arachnids, and worried about load rating, it’s not a bad option. Personally, I missed out on a used set of MX115s and due to budget settled on the TSS.

Reactions: m5james
Those look super! What did you do with the fronts? I love the arachnids, great look and I picked up 20 miles of range at 90% vs turbines. I have another set of arachnids and an X, so I could make both cars square. No need for me to be chicken, I’ll just let you ride them for awhile first. :D

Thats exactly what I intend...square setup for both cars. So far range has been the same as 20” oem. 25mm spacers used for rears on X and fronts went on straight without any spacers....came out beautifully....drove ~200 miles without any issues on standard suspension....too close for low height tho, so I’ve locked it to just standard for the wifey.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikeWings
Why not just go with 22 TSS wheels? I've been getting the same range with these as the 20" OEM wheels.

b7c055c8-1620-43d2-a338-cdec8fe2b614-jpeg.432924

i didn’t want to go aftermarket for the X....just oem as the wifey mainly drives the X....otherwise I’d have gotten some HRE P204’s...those are beautiful as another forum member has already done...they sure costs a pretty penny tho.

On a related note, I’m looking at buying a set of arachnids for my S, and would trade the rears for fronts for a square set. Anyone have new arachnids who is interested?

I actually have a square set for the S that I not using anymore...2 are new rims and 2 are used/scuffs with tires/tpms....make me a decent offer and they're yours.

What tires did you use in combination with the factory 22" X wheels that yielded an increase in efficiency versus the Pirelli Scorpions?

What tires did you use in combination with the factory 22" X wheels that yielded an increase in efficiency versus the Pirelli Scorpions?

The DWS06 will get better efficiency than the Scorpions. They’re an all season compound that’s not as grippy. You get a softer ride, better wet/cold traction, and better efficiency at the cost of dry performance. They’re also a couple lbs lighter per tire.

• Informative
Reactions: jgrgnt
Thats exactly what I intend...square setup for both cars. So far range has been the same as 20” oem. 25mm spacers used for rears on X and fronts went on straight without any spacers....came out beautifully....drove ~200 miles without any issues on standard suspension....too close for low height tho, so I’ve locked it to just standard for the wifey.

Cowby, what size tires did you use for the square setup 265/40/21s? And you can't have suspension on lowest setting with this tire?
and 25mm spacer in the rear?

Wondering if stepping down from the 22's is worth it... need all the range i can get on my 90D, but just can't go slipstream.

I don't need to tow at all and my 5 seat config is pretty light weight. Contemplating going all 21x9 matte black arachnids

just out of curiosity and I know everyones circumstance is different, but considering the cost of arachnids, or rims in general, what do most people do with the tires they currently have on? I am assuming most have the alstock airstream, i think thats what its called, are they easy to sell, is there a market for the 20" OEMs, is there a Tesla trade in program for rims?

just out of curiosity and I know everyones circumstance is different, but considering the cost of arachnids, or rims in general, what do most people do with the tires they currently have on? I am assuming most have the alstock airstream, i think thats what its called, are they easy to sell, is there a market for the 20" OEMs, is there a Tesla trade in program for rims?

There is a market for OEM wheels with tires. Not as much for just used tires. I kept mine as spare wheels until I wore my tires down, then they got a set of winter tires and the set was used as winter wheels.

Cowby, what size tires did you use for the square setup 265/40/21s? And you can't have suspension on lowest setting with this tire?
and 25mm spacer in the rear?

Wondering if stepping down from the 22's is worth it... need all the range i can get on my 90D, but just can't go slipstream.

I don't need to tow at all and my 5 seat config is pretty light weight. Contemplating going all 21x9 matte black arachnids

I actually went crazy with 275/40/21 all around square setup....that is correct, as of now no lowest suspension setting due to fronts being too close to suspension....i'm going to add 5 mm spacers to front and bring in rears with 20mm adapters to try it on lowest setting next time i rotate tires.

on an efficiency note, avg consumption does go down by at least 50!...more to do with tire compound than weight of rims tho as stated above

Last edited: