Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 Inch Wheels/Tires- Have you bent or cracked them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alphainfinity

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2019
Kalispell
I am curious to hear from X owners with the 22inch wheel/tire combo on the strength of the wheels and how they are holding up to the hazards of the road. There are a few youtube videos of model 3 performance owners switching tire sizes due to cracked/bent wheels.

Obviously, I am not expecting to have the ability to smash into a huge pothole and have the rim come out in one piece, but I would like to know if the 6500 tire/rim combo includes real forged rims and if anybody has comments on build quality in comparison to aftermarket.

I had the 22” turbines mounted for about a year on the X. In that time, I went on several road trips and multiple short excursions around SoCal. Never had an issue with them, even on rough dirt roads.

My Model 3 Performance has been an entirely different story. I’ve had three (3) bent rims in my first year of ownership. The 20” Performance rims are surprisingly weak.

As with all things, your mileage may vary, but I wouldn’t think twice about mounting the 22s on the X again.

Regarding construction: the only forged rims Tesla offers are the 21” Arachnids for the Model S, and the upcoming 20” referral wheels for the Model 3. All of Tesla’s other wheels, including the 22” turbines, are cast.

GTK! Thanks for the info jgrgnt & frank-datank.

We have the 22 turbines and were wondering the same thing, especially seeing some of the issues with the larger rims on the TM3s...

Looks like Tesla did us X owners a solid and constructed the 22s better than the TM3s 20s :).

I bought a CPO Tesla X 75D about 2 months ago. Last week, I went out on a long drive to pick up my mother in law, and decided to use the "very low" suspension setting to increase my range. That's all it took to "crack" one of the front wheels. I checked with Tesla, and they assume no responsibility.

Incidentally, I was planning to switch to much lighter forged wheels for increases range, and those wheels showed up a few days after this issue.

I bought a CPO Tesla X 75D about 2 months ago. Last week, I went out on a long drive to pick up my mother in law, and decided to use the "very low" suspension setting to increase my range. That's all it took to "crack" one of the front wheels. I checked with Tesla, and they assume no responsibility.

Incidentally, I was planning to switch to much lighter forged wheels for increases range, and those wheels showed up a few days after this issue.

Wait what?!?

I had to use very low mode to increase range a couple of weeks ago and luckily did not have any issues...

How'd very low mode crack your rim?

Yep, lowest suspension mode is also the harshest, due to lower suspension stroke to soak up road imperfections.

Anyhow, I switched to forged 20" wheels at OEM specs (22 lbs each), and the impact on energy consumption is huge; highly recommended.

I had the 22” turbines mounted for about a year on the X. In that time, I went on several road trips and multiple short excursions around SoCal. Never had an issue with them, even on rough dirt roads.

My Model 3 Performance has been an entirely different story. I’ve had three (3) bent rims in my first year of ownership. The 20” Performance rims are surprisingly weak.

As with all things, your mileage may vary, but I wouldn’t think twice about mounting the 22s on the X again.

Regarding construction: the only forged rims Tesla offers are the 21” Arachnids for the Model S, and the upcoming 20” referral wheels for the Model 3. All of Tesla’s other wheels, including the 22” turbines, are cast.
I can speak to this second part. I had a PM3 and the sport rims that came with it are garbage. Bent them 3 times in less than 16 months of ownership. However, I am waiting on a Model X LR+ with 22" rims. I'm hoping it's a different story as I've heard it's a different(stronger) rim.