Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22' Model S Hit in Parking Lot. SentryCam captures all.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was hit tonight at a Best Buy parking lot. My Tesla app immediately notified me that my alarm was triggered. I looked at my phone and I prepared for the worst, made my way outside, and found a guy ran his Jeep into my hood as he was leaving the parking lot... His Jeep was intact, my Model S was not. Super annoying. I was super unlucky.

My main concern here is if the damage made to my car will diminish the value further down the line if I decide to sell. Is there anything I can do? Or will this damage not really affect the car's value? Afterall, this will stay with the cars history forever if repaired at a bodyshop.

The Jeep guy was cooperative, he gave me all his information, and I made a claim through the Tesla app with Tesla Insurance in the parking lot next to him citing him at fault. I had no idea what else to do... this was the first time I had to make any claim on my insurance. Was this the right thing to do? Should I have not made the claim, yet?

Anyways I hope anyone can share their past experiences or guide me in the right way.

Check out the video of the accident here:

There was a guy that by chance was there watched it happen and took a photo of the Jeeps license plate just in case lol. Then the Jeep guy got out of his car to check the damage he made on mine -_-

Attachments

• model s damage.jpeg
    model s damage.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
It will absolutely diminish value if it generates a car fax.

Two ways carfax gets data. Police reports and insurance claims.

I pay out of pocket if below $5k.

You probably have around $5k damage. I hit a deer in my X and it was more damage than that. And it cost $5k. But that was before this inflation wave. So who knows.

Hi all,

I was hit tonight at a Best Buy parking lot. My Tesla app immediately notified me that my alarm was triggered. I looked at my phone and I prepared for the worst, made my way outside, and found a guy ran his Jeep into my hood as he was leaving the parking lot... His Jeep was intact, my Model S was not. Super annoying. I was super unlucky.

My main concern here is if the damage made to my car will diminish the value further down the line if I decide to sell. Is there anything I can do? Or will this damage not really affect the car's value? Afterall, this will stay with the cars history forever if repaired at a bodyshop.

The Jeep guy was cooperative, he gave me all his information, and I made a claim through the Tesla app with Tesla Insurance in the parking lot next to him citing him at fault. I had no idea what else to do... this was the first time I had to make any claim on my insurance. Was this the right thing to do? Should I have not made the claim, yet?

Anyways I hope anyone can share their past experiences or guide me in the right way.

Check out the video of the accident here:

There was a guy that by chance was there watched it happen and took a photo of the Jeeps license plate just in case lol. Then the Jeep guy got out of his car to check the damage he made on mine -_-
Looks like the Jeep driver was going to make a run for it until the happy snaps started… he didn’t want a hit and run charge… lucky for you the guy was diligent and took picks and stood there. If you use USAA ask your claim adjuster if they will contact and bill the other insurance company. If so, they’ll be responsible for the cost to repair, rental car, and diminished value if it comes to that. Ask the body shop if this level of damage will trigger carfax accident… personally i don’t think so. USAA should handle all the back and forth with the Jeep driver’s insurance… hands off for you.

Looks like the Jeep driver was going to make a run for it until the happy snaps started… he didn’t want a hit and run charge… lucky for you the guy was diligent and took picks and stood there. If you use USAA ask your claim adjuster if they will contact and bill the other insurance company. If so, they’ll be responsible for the cost to repair, rental car, and diminished value if it comes to that. Ask the body shop if this level of damage will trigger carfax accident… personally i don’t think so. USAA should handle all the back and forth with the Jeep driver’s insurance… hands off for you.
If it is claimed through insurance it will be on the carfax. I got tapped at a stop sign and had it fixed through their insurance and it showed up and it was barely anything compared to this. What carfax did show was that it was minor damage so that helped. Luckily I took pics of the damage when I sold it so that the dealer could see how minor it was.

I was told recently by AAA that any claim over 1K will trigger a report.

• Informative
Reactions: Leeclanual