Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expired 22 MS, FSD, White/Tan, Tow hitch, 2 sets of wheels [Expired]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealers are low balling Tesla's because they got burned big time when the bottom of the market fell out on them. They want to have extra cushion on any Tesla trade ins to be ready for the next step drop in prices, if it ever comes.

Asking prices and owner's opinions don't mean too much on real world pricing. The best way to gauge the current market is to look at results of recent public retail auctions. Cars and Bids is the go-to online auction site for Tesla's, so they are a good indicator of the current market price, like it or not.

You may be able to get more selling privately (anywhere but here), but that site is the best barometer.

Dealers are low balling Tesla's because they got burned big time when the bottom of the market fell out on them. They want to have extra cushion on any Tesla trade ins to be ready for the next step drop in prices, if it ever comes.

Asking prices and owner's opinions don't mean too much on real world pricing. The best way to gauge the current market is to look at results of recent public retail auctions. Cars and Bids is the go-to online auction site for Tesla's, so they are a good indicator of the current market price, like it or not.

You may be able to get more selling privately (anywhere but here), but that site is the best barometer.

Apologies. I have been an absentee, pseudo-seller. I forgot I posted this -- been busy with the new R1S! I had a dealer offer me in the high 60s. I did not like anything on their lot. They would have probably tried to make up for that number on the buy side...

I have always been disappointed with cars and bids. Every time I look into listing with them they suggest a really low reserve. They don't make money if the car doesn't sell and I want top dollar -- our incentives aren't aligned. I typically find I sell my cars for >10k more than daddy Doug suggests. These are cars that I have sold in the 50-75k range over the last 3 years.

We'll see. Thanks for the input everyone!

Apologies. I have been an absentee, pseudo-seller. I forgot I posted this -- been busy with the new R1S! I had a dealer offer me in the high 60s. I did not like anything on their lot. They would have probably tried to make up for that number on the buy side...

I have always been disappointed with cars and bids. Every time I look into listing with them they suggest a really low reserve. They don't make money if the car doesn't sell and I want top dollar -- our incentives aren't aligned. I typically find I sell my cars for >10k more than daddy Doug suggests. These are cars that I have sold in the 50-75k range over the last 3 years.

Seems like people think reserves are offers. The current market will determine your final sales price, never Doug.

I usually go no reserve when I sell, and I have always done very well with online auctions. An auction site with good reach and a well presented car will bring the top of the current market price. No reserve almost always gets more buyers involved and excited to make sure you get top market price.

Yea it’s wild how much these have come down. I see plenty of 2021-2022 S with sub 40k miles for 55-59k in my search. The 55k ones have some red flags (3 owners). I don’t think you’ll get 75k even if it had FSD. Mid 60 would be lucky

Reactions: ark205 and morbidz
Seems like people think reserves are offers. The current market will determine your final sales price, never Doug.

I usually go no reserve when I sell, and I have always done very well with online auctions. An auction site with good reach and a well presented car will bring the top of the current market price. No reserve almost always gets more buyers involved and excited to make sure you get top market price.

For sure. I tend to be risk averse and so I have to assume the reserve is about all I will get. “They” say no reserve auctions get more action. I don’t know if these are are hot enough anymore.

Yea it’s wild how much these have come down. I see plenty of 2021-2022 S with sub 40k miles for 55-59k in my search. The 55k ones have some red flags (3 owners). I don’t think you’ll get 75k even if it had FSD. Mid 60 would be lucky

Regional variances I am sure. I think we are listed at 69. I get so many calls on it. We’ll see when it sells. I have never sold a car privately in under 6 weeks. This is still in record speed territory for me.

Again thanks everyone. I appreciate the conversation.

For sure. I tend to be risk averse and so I have to assume the reserve is about all I will get. “They” say no reserve auctions get more action.

You bought a very expensive EV, so you can't be that risk adverse. Yes, No Reserve auctions definitely get buyers excited because they know the car is going to sell to someone at the end. If they think it won't meet reserve, they might think they can let it fail and then swoop in to get a lower price from the deflated seller.

I can tell you one thing with certainty: Every single day that you delay putting the car up for sale, or miss sales because you are holding strong on getting more than market value, the market for this car is tanking. It will not flatten out until the value gets to $5K, which is what will be the values of EV's at around 10 years old as the used car buyers figure out that EV batteries often die around that age regardless of mileage, charge habits or cycles.

You bought a very expensive EV, so you can't be that risk adverse. Yes, No Reserve auctions definitely get buyers excited because they know the car is going to sell to someone at the end. If they think it won't meet reserve, they might think they can let it fail and then swoop in to get a lower price from the deflated seller.

I can tell you one thing with certainty: Every single day that you delay putting the car up for sale, or miss sales because you are holding strong on getting more than market value, the market for this car is tanking. It will not flatten out until the value gets to $5K, which is what will be the values of EV's at around 10 years old as the used car buyers figure out that EV batteries often die around that age regardless of mileage, charge habits or cycles.

2014 S performance. Got 36k in April 2023

2014 S performance. Got 36k in April 2023

That's a great price. But I am talking about further down the road when the used car market better understands the liability of the batteries and drive units. I can bet the person that bought your 2014 for $36K has no idea the battery is a ticking $20K time bomb. And he gets the added bonus of a guaranteed to fail $7K rear drive unit, along with all the other soul crushing repairs for the air suspension, HVAC, battery heater, onboard charger, displays, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.