Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 MY LR, radar or vision? Will my radar be turned off and conversion to vision or do I keep my radar? Is it done by update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sandi629

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2023
NJ
Is this done by an update and if so, can you go backwards and turn off? What update is it? I’ve had other cars with “pro pilot” and they’ve been great, think they used cameras. I’m new to Tesla and reading all kinds of pros and cons for both radar and vision. Any pros out there with advice?

Is this done by an update and if so, can you go backwards and turn off? What update is it? I’ve had other cars with “pro pilot” and they’ve been great, think they used cameras. I’m new to Tesla and reading all kinds of pros and cons for both radar and vision. Any pros out there with advice?
From Tesla: "In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022."

Your 22 MYLR likely do not have radar.

And if it still does have the radar it's most likely have been disabled by earlier software update.

Reactions: sandi629
the 2022 MY uses ultrasonic sound sensors (USS) for close distance and vision (cameras) for longer range information.
there is no radar. radar was only in very early production MY cars and phased out in favor of cameras for FSD, AP, etc. applications.

there's no retrofit to radar available.
radar is rumored to be returned to the MY with the next generation processor (HW4).
No one really knows when that might happen, but rumors seem to indicate summer.
No retrofit for current production (or earlier) seems to be possible because the form factor of the new proc board is very different than current HW3 etc.

there's also no retrofit available to return USS to the 2023 MY.
2023 MY cars have seen a recent software rev add somewhat better short range performance of the cameras for parking, etc use.

From Tesla: "In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022."

Your 22 MYLR likely do not have radar.

And if it still does have the radar it's most likely have been disabled by earlier software update.

Well, that’s easy, no decision on my part. I thought I read that 2022 didn’t have all the front cameras for vision?

Well, that’s easy, no decision on my part. I thought I read that 2022 didn’t have all the front cameras for vision?
There is no difference in the camera suite for radar and radar-less HW3 vehicles.

New S/X with HW4 coming out of the factory still now have the same camera locations but just with upgraded resolutions and 2 instead of 3 front cameras at the top of the windshield.

the 2022 MY uses ultrasonic sound sensors (USS) for close distance and vision (cameras) for longer range information.
there is no radar. radar was only in very early production MY cars and phased out in favor of cameras for FSD, AP, etc. applications.

there's no retrofit to radar available.
radar is rumored to be returned to the MY with the next generation processor (HW4).
No one really knows when that might happen, but rumors seem to indicate summer.
No retrofit for current production (or earlier) seems to be possible because the form factor of the new proc board is very different than current HW3 etc.

there's also no retrofit available to return USS to the 2023 MY.
2023 MY cars have seen a recent software rev add somewhat better short range performance of the cameras for parking, etc use.
Thanks!! I think I was using the word radar when I meant USS. Will my USS stay in play or will that go away?

So far Tesla has not said it will disable USS but they didn’t say that about radar either until they did.

So the short term answer is they will keep it, but long term answer is they could eventually disable it.
Thanks so much!! I love my car, have had a few occasions of phantom braking and that’s a bit freaky though. Not a slam on brakes, but definitely a slow down. Freaked out my passenger more than me.

So far Tesla has not said it will disable USS but they didn’t say that about radar either until they did.

So the short term answer is they will keep it, but long term answer is they could eventually disable it.
Actually they say explicitly for USS:
"Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet."

They did not say the same for radar.

Looking it up, they started removing radar with the update 2022.20.9 which came out August 2022.