Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you switch off FSD beta, do you go back to radar or Tesla Vision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had it FSD beta for a few weeks and find the phantom braking on surface streets to be really annoying. At this stage, I would rather switch off FSD beta and go back to the “dumb” version of auto pilot. But since I’ve upgraded, I wonder if I’ll go back to the radar based version (I have a 2018)which had less phantom braking or Tesla vision, which I presume will still have the same amount of phantom braking. Anybody done this?

Reactions: beachmiles
I’ve had it FSD beta for a few weeks and find the phantom braking on surface streets to be really annoying. At this stage, I would rather switch off FSD beta and go back to the “dumb” version of auto pilot. But since I’ve upgraded, I wonder if I’ll go back to the radar based version (I have a 2018)which had less phantom braking or Tesla vision, which I presume will still have the same amount of phantom braking. Anybody done this?

They are two different versions so I assume once you get the public FSD version back to your car, you should get back to the same way you were familiar with less phantom brakes than your current version.

Turning off your current version does not count because it only turns off the features but not the Radarless codes.

Radar has been turned off for all vehicles since software version 2022.20.9

Reactions: DarkForest
No it doesn’t. Radar has been gone from the S/X since 2022.24.6
Only for AP HW 3+. 2017 Model X would have been built with AP 2.0 or 2.5, which should continue using radar even with the latest software.

Basically, if your S3XY Tesla has the hardware to run FSD Beta, then it is now vision-only on the latest software, no matter if you bought FSD or not, and no matter if it has radar installed or not. However if it has older AP HW then it's still using radar.

Thanks for the replies. And I assume if I turn off FSD beta, I won't be able to turn it back on without waiting in the queue again?
If you mean turn it off in settings, you are still running the beta software, which you can turn back on anytime you want. If you withdraw from the program and go back to the non-beta software, I would expect you would have to go back to the beginning and submit a new request. OTOH, by then, maybe some version of FSD on City Streets will be released to the masses. But who knows when that might be.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve