Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" Summer Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
Hello all,

I'm in search of 22" tires for the summer and would like to know what current owners would recommend. According to tirerack the only Max Performance Summer are the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the others are all all-season tires. Thanks for any comments and advice in advance!

Haven't changed the tires yet but I think there are only three choices for Model X 22 inch if you keep the original size?
Goodyear Eagle F1
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
And as you might already find out, Eagle F1 is the only summer tire.
Which of these three would you (or anyone else with 22's) recommend as the best replacement tires for overall comfort and durability?

Which of these three would you (or anyone else with 22's) recommend as the best replacement tires for overall comfort and durability?
I have the Pirelli and they are a true summer tire (they may say all-season but I wouldn't drive in snow with them) - been very impressed with them - drove through some significant rain storms in NC recently and they held beautifully.

However, and there are multiple threads, people tend to switch to the Continentals because of price and the fact that they are a true multi-season tire so they can keep them on year round (I, however, change out to my 20's in the winter so I will keep the summer tires for summer).

Some people care about the Tesla noise reducing foam inserts (others have said they did not notice any difference) - if you care you really only have the Goodyear and the Pirelli as options.

I don't think you can go wrong either way - tread life on them both are limited but the tread wear rating of the Pirellis is higher (and the Conti even higher yet) so that might be the better route. If you get a lot of rain, the Goodyear and the Conti's actually have higher wet grip ratings than the Pirellis (AA vs A on the fronts).

I will most likely switch to the Conti's when the time comes - not even thinking of the Goodyear because of the poor tread life.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: BoerumHill
I have the Pirelli and they are a true summer tire (they may say all-season but I wouldn't drive in snow with them) - been very impressed with them - drove through some significant rain storms in NC recently and they held beautifully.

However, and there are multiple threads, people tend to switch to the Continentals because of price and the fact that they are a true multi-season tire so they can keep them on year round (I, however, change out to my 20's in the winter so I will keep the summer tires for summer).

Some people care about the Tesla noise reducing foam inserts (others have said they did not notice any difference) - if you care you really only have the Goodyear and the Pirelli as options.

I don't think you can go wrong either way - tread life on them both are limited but the tread wear rating of the Pirellis is higher (and the Conti even higher yet) so that might be the better route. If you get a lot of rain, the Goodyear and the Conti's actually have higher wet grip ratings than the Pirellis (AA vs A on the fronts).

I will most likely switch to the Conti's when the time comes - not even thinking of the Goodyear because of the poor tread life.

Good luck.

Awesome, thanks! So do you think the Continentals will hold up better in some light snow/ice too? I live in Georgia and we get like 8 months of dry, 3 months of heavy rain, and usually a week or two of snow/ice every year. I don't necessarily care for performance or cost, just durability and safety.

Awesome, thanks! So do you think the Continentals will hold up better in some light snow/ice too? I live in Georgia and we get like 8 months of dry, 3 months of heavy rain, and usually a week or two of snow/ice every year. I don't necessarily care for performance or cost, just durability and safety.

There is no such thing as a true “ all season “ tire. If you drive below 7 degrees Celsius ( not sure what that is in Fahrenheit) switch to a winter tire.

I remember a friend asking me this question and she loves to wear high heels. I told her summer tires in the winter is like wearing high heels to go for a run or hike. She has never bought all seasons since - and runs 2 sets of tires.

No matter how safe or nice or technologically advanced a car we buy / the reality remains that there are only 4 contact patches of rubber holding us to the ground. Make sure it’s the highest quality and designed for the road conditions you are driving in. It could save your life

When it comes to ice the best tires are the ones that never leave your garage...stay home!

A true summer tire gets hard in the cold, that's the difference between a summer and an "All Season" tire - different rubber compound acts differently in different temperatures.

My wife grew up in Erie, PA (one of our nation's snow capitals - last Xmas we got 60"+ in one day) - X did great with stock tires, but would have been much better with a snow tires which are yet an even different compound and do better in the cold.

We get more snow here in DC than you do in "Hotlanta" - I have always used an "all season" up here (as opposed to when I lived in Miami I just kept 'summer' tires on year round).

Everything is an extreme - an "all season" performs well, to a point. "Summer" perform well, to a point. "Winter" perform well, to a point.

The key is balance, like everything in life.

I, of course, live in Erie PA and can attest to our significant snowfall. And the city never stops due to snow. So you need to prepare. I have just acquired a MX P90D with 22 inch Goodyear’s on it. I have purchased a set of 20 inch wheels and tires for winter. As stated above, there is really no such thing as “all season” tires in Erie.

Actually, tires are not my real concern for winter operation. I am seriously thinking about storing the car over the worst winter months. I see a number of issues with driving the X in the winter time including getting whacked by another driver. I spend a lot of time on I-90 and multiple car accidents are not unusual during the winter. I really love the X and that would really kill me. I did not sell my Jeep and it is a really good winter car. And I would save my X for the nice weather.

When I bought 22" wheels for my X I got the Contis and they're fantastic. I had them on my previous BMW X5 and my wife's 335iX and never had any problem with the heavy snowfall we get here in Utah. They're also substantially quieter and absorb bumps way better than the stock 22 tires that come on the X (my wife now has a MX with the stock 22s so I can compare the two very easily). Go with the Contis, you won't be disappointed

When I bought 22" wheels for my X I got the Contis and they're fantastic. I had them on my previous BMW X5 and my wife's 335iX and never had any problem with the heavy snowfall we get here in Utah. They're also substantially quieter and absorb bumps way better than the stock 22 tires that come on the X (my wife now has a MX with the stock 22s so I can compare the two very easily). Go with the Contis, you won't be disappointed

How's the noise and comfort on the Conti's? I currently have Goodyear's on my 22s, looking for a little quieter.

I just put aftermarket 22" wheels with the Conti DWS tires. They have been great and I honestly don't notice a lot of noise difference. The only situation where it might be a little louder is when you drive over expansion joints and the sound can resonate more inside the tire vs, foam lined tires.

Regarding snow tires, yes they will be better at stopping and handling in the snow, but I have found the stock 20" all seasons to be okay in MN winters.