Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 hour demo tomorrow - advice re my pod point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I’m due to receive my model Y 03/03, and in the meantime Tesla reached out to offer me a 24hr test drive starting tomorrow. I’d like to take the opportunity to test my pod point to ensure it’s all working etc.

Could someone talk me through how to set the charging via the screen in the car (obviously won’t have app access due to test drive). Ideally I’d like to just set it to charge for a couple of hours in the night to ensure it all works ok.

Anything else I should consider ahead of the demo drive? I’ve never driven a Tesla before.

Thanks all

You can set a scheduled start on the screen. There is no scheduled end, but you can set the target charge level and it's about 10% per hour.

It might take a little while to get used to the regenerative breaking and hold mode, it's bliss when you do but unless you are coming from another car with something similar it can be a bit bunny-hoppy while you get the accelerator figured.

Keycard to open the door is on the B pillar, about halfway up, there is no indicator.

Hi all

I’m due to receive my model Y 03/03, and in the meantime Tesla reached out to offer me a 24hr test drive starting tomorrow. I’d like to take the opportunity to test my pod point to ensure it’s all working etc.

Could someone talk me through how to set the charging via the screen in the car (obviously won’t have app access due to test drive). Ideally I’d like to just set it to charge for a couple of hours in the night to ensure it all works ok.

Anything else I should consider ahead of the demo drive? I’ve never driven a Tesla before.

Thanks all
Just plug it in - charge screen should pop up and set the max charge to be a little more than current eg 75% - set it to charge to 80%-90% or 55% to 60-70%. Set limit, slide the white line (I think)

You might have to remove any scheduled charging (unlikely, but may have been set).

Hi all

Thanks all
Couple of questions
- Are you on one of the cheaper electricity tariffs, if so is it timed or something like the intelligent octopus?
- Are you planning to use the car/app to set the charging or use the podpoint to set up charging times? Pod point is easy to set up, I’ve never used the car screen because of the nature of how it is not that compatible with the UK electricity cheap tariff scenario.

Regards to demo drive as you have not driven a Tesla before, there are couple of threads related to this. In general, people discuss a lot about the ride, comfort of a model Y being on the firmer side. Also there are threads related to the parcel shelf issues, seats and visibility. The rest of the forum has lots of threads related to common issues in relation to FSD, AHB, auto wipers and TACC.

Check how you feel about the car in general - noise,vibration, ride and comfort. Then move onto the above topics.

Reactions: waltonmark
You can set a scheduled start on the screen. There is no scheduled end, but you can set the target charge level and it's about 10% per hour.

It might take a little while to get used to the regenerative breaking and hold mode, it's bliss when you do but unless you are coming from another car with something similar it can be a bit bunny-hoppy while you get the accelerator figured.

Keycard to open the door is on the B pillar, about halfway up, there is no indicator.
If you charge to NEAR 100% you won't get regen unless you set an option to use brakes as if regen was happening. You HAVE to brake, which still sometimes surprised me, you get so used one-pedal driving - as @GRiLLA said - bliss.

Reactions: waltonmark
You might have to remove any scheduled charging (unlikely, but may have been set).

Isn't scheduled charging GPS-location-dependent? If I've got that right then that shouldn't be an issue

unless you set an option to use brakes as if regen was happening

I've not checked, but is that available in UK (I thought I read not, but I might be wrong on that)

Isn't scheduled charging GPS-location-dependent? If I've got that right then that shouldn't be an issue

I've not checked, but is that available in UK (I thought I read not, but I might be wrong on that)
Scheduled charging - just passing on a gotcha I've heard about but I don't use it. I use the ready for 6:30 am type scheduling.

Regen settings, not sure, not checked car interface recently. You're probably right.

Lets hope you like it, bit late to find out now if you don't! ;)

I had my podpoint installed last week and while I assume it works fine, had Tesla contacted me and made the same offer I would have taken them up on it without a doubt!
Might be worth asking if someone will test it out for you, better to know ahead of time & you'd already know if any fault was likely to be car or EVSE. I did a few weeks on granny charger & it was fine for my needs. If you REALLY want to test out the podpoint - ALSO get a Zoe/Kangoo owner to test it out - they're more temperamental (earth for many, pins/cable seemingly for others)

My sister in law has an ID4 (and also uses a podpoint at her home) I might get her to test mine out before I get mine on the 1st.
My Tesla was always fine, but I also needed to charge other EVs & long story short: earth checked, boards changed to no effect, third cable did the trick (short, temporary for a week) & then fourth cable (long - 7 metres) ultimately the answer..