Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final test drive tomorrow am I making the right decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have a few concerns I do around 25-30k a year and have around 2 journeys a week which will be around 200 miles will I be spending a lot on superchargers? Also I see they are getting busier will I be losing a lot of time in my day.

200 miles is about right from 100% driving sensible, it shouldn't be an issue and you would not need to use any chargers

Also if the electric costs go up again it would be a problem but I am fixed at 25p per kWh on Octopus until November and understand I can use the cheaper night rate.

You can get a 10p per hour charge rate for night time but even at 25p its not bad.

are they ok for multiple stops etc

Multiple stops aren't an issue

If I get the Tesla it will be a business lease and the bmw would be a pcp personal.
If you get the Tesla under a limited company lease then you would be paying BIK and only able to claim certain mileage rates back on the car, if its private then you don't have the BIK and can often claim upto 45p. If I was to buy another electric car I would look at buying it personally and claiming back if I did high mileage.

whats your mileage on a ‘6 visits’ day? If the total mileage is low enough it’ll offset any ‘setup’ energy costs. It sounds like most/all of your situations can be done with charging at home and not needing SCs - but they are there if you need them. Which is likely the case for many of us.

What are the financials like? Obviously business lease will be way cheaper on the monthly cost to you but will the mileage allowance cover the fuel cost so it may not be much cheaper to run an EV?

OP, you have been struggling with this decision for a year. This is not your first thread on this topic. Plenty of replies saying the Tesla will work in your situation. If you like the car just get it and enjoy. You will be a charging pro after a couple of weeks and be pleasantly surprised by how little Supercharging you will do once you have become comfortable arriving home with 5-10%.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I come from a BMW and in all honesty I think that would be perfect for what you need. With that mileage and with the car being pivotal in your work I wouldn’t have said the Tesla is right at this time.
All it takes in one failed charge overnight or one poorly car that takes weeks to get a service slot then that would be an issue.
Plenty of time to experience Tesla, maybe not now though?
I don't thinks are reasonable concern to making a £50k decision on. If one night you forget to plug in, or the connection is loose or something, chalk it up to experience and stop at a sc for 10 mins. Sorted.

Also op said 200 miles a couple of times a week, not every night. So you have a couple of nights to get it right.

Servicing depends a bit on where you are I guess, but I've had same week appts for the occasional thing I've needed doing, none of which prevented the use of the car in the mean time.

Leaving from home pre-heated and defroted with a full tank every day and help on the motorway for those miles 100% would win out for me. But then you are asking on a Tesla forum 😉. I assume you have asked the same on a BMW forum for why it's the better answer? Have to say I'd be interested to see what is said if you have?

Not I haven’t ask on the bmw forum might have been a good idea. I think deep down there is properly not much in it as the bmw might hold a stronger value at the end instead of the money going on a lease.

Another massive thing for me personally is no Apple car play so would mean getting Spotify and no what’s app I get a lot of messsge for work on what’s app.

It might be something I look again at in a couple of years.

One question how good is the Netflix signal in the car is it same as a phone ?

Not I haven’t ask on the bmw forum might have been a good idea. I think deep down there is properly not much in it as the bmw might hold a stronger value at the end instead of the money going on a lease.

Another massive thing for me personally is no Apple car play so would mean getting Spotify and no what’s app I get a lot of messsge for work on what’s app.

It's better than many phones as it roams across multiple networks. Sure there are still some very remote parts of the UK where there is no signal but only at the real edges. This optional data plan also provides an advert free Spotify service for in the car if you don't already have your own Spotify, Tidal or Apple Music Account. I pay for this rather than buying any subscriptions.

200 miles is highly unlikely to require charging stops, heating as mentioned depends on how far North you travel, certainly not going to be a challenge where I live near Oxford.

I would also suggest comparing the amount of time you'll save by not visiting petrol stations and regular servicing on an ICE car.

It has apple music. or you can play using bluetooth from your phone.

And it can send and read whatsapp but you need voice to trigger - hey siri, read my new messages or hey siri send a whatsapp to… - Siri will connect and talk/listen to you through the car bluetooth

if its 200 miles with short stops you might not be doing full 200 on motorway speeds. Stop/start/urban miles will help with ’mpg’ too. And if there are chargers and you’re stopping for an hour to talk with a client (or even half an hour) you could top up if needed. But probably not needed with a LR.

second the recommendation regarding preheating in the morning - saves you time and is so convenient. I switched from a 420i and am very happy but I don’t do the miles you do nowadays but it’ll do 200 mile motorway round trips no issue.

And it can send and read whatsapp but you need voice to trigger - hey siri, read my new messages or hey siri send a whatsapp to… - Siri will connect and talk/listen to you through the car bluetooth
Not having a go but this isn't accurate, the car can't send or read WhatsApp messages - instead you have to use voice control on your phone as a workaround.

You also won't get any notifications come through the car showing you've received a message and who from.

As for Bluetooth to play media, be warned that it'll only stream whatever you've got playing - it won't allow you to browse any media on your phone. Again you can use voice control as a workaround if you wish.

Just had the test drive and really enjoyed it plus I didn’t know they now have Apple Music / Disney plus and a parcel shelf lol . Think I am going to bite the bullet and go for one on a two year lease and see how I get on. Just need to find a cheap lease thanks for all the help.

How long does it normally take to get a home charger installed ?

Thanks

Not having a go but this isn't accurate, the car can't send or read WhatsApp messages - instead you have to use voice control on your phone as a workaround.

You also won't get any notifications come through the car showing you've received a message and who from.

As for Bluetooth to play media, be warned that it'll only stream whatever you've got playing - it won't allow you to browse any media on your phone. Again you can use voice control as a workaround if you wish.

I meant to be clear to that in my post that it was a workaround - apologies if it didn’t come across

you used to be able to at least see upcoming tracks in a playlist over bluetooth but with the revised UI recently so the player is on the right, I think thats gone now?

Just to add but 200 miles of 6 shorter trips where the battery is going to cool down vs one long 200-mile trip is going to use more power in winter. Hence I'd not be sure you'll get 200 miles without charging. Lots of other factors but just saying that could be close. However, from the sounds of it you might well be able to charge at some stops so should workout.

Electric cars are lovely to drive though of course and as many have said, pre-heating is a major bonus.

Just had the test drive and really enjoyed it plus I didn’t know they now have Apple Music / Disney plus and a parcel shelf lol . Think I am going to bite the bullet and go for one on a two year lease and see how I get on. Just need to find a cheap lease thanks for all the help.

Thanks
Really dependent on how busy local Installers are but definitely get this done in advance.

Thanks

honestly worth it - even if you don’t get on with it for whatever reason it’ll hopefully be interesting.

Check back in when you’ve done a few runs to let us know how you’ve gotten on?

Sounds to me like you would save a great deal of time no longer visiting petrol stations and start each day with a full tank.

back when I had a 240 mile range Tesla and doing 35K miles a year it was 8 hours a year to fuel an ICE ... and 20 minutes to Supercharge the car, twice a month which is ... <DrumRoll!> 8 hours. Except that when Supercharging I was using the time to do emails rather than standing-to-pump and queuing-to-pay, not to mention ingesting loads of fumes.

Multiple stops aren't an issue

I thought (earlier in this thread) that they would be (in Winter) because of 6 stops to visit clients and the battery getting cold each time. However, I now see that the O/P is in Kent and driving 200 miles won't have even left the Tropics! so barring a few really cold winter days its probably going to be fine in Winter, especially if a reasonable amount of that is not motorway - a very useful saving on Range at 50MPH rather than 70 MPH.

As I said earlier, worth trying the multi-stop trip in ABetterRoutePlanner and see what it says the consumption would be

I thought (earlier in this thread) that they would be (in Winter) because of 6 stops to visit clients and the battery getting cold each time. However, I now see that the O/P is in Kent and driving 200 miles won't have even left the Tropics! so barring a few really cold winter days its probably going to be fine in Winter, especially if a reasonable amount of that is not motorway - a very useful saving on Range at 50MPH rather than 70 MPH.

As I said earlier, worth trying the multi-stop trip in ABetterRoutePlanner and see what it says the consumption would be
Regarding the range and winter multiple stops then yes it you have the heating of the car element to consider, I wasn't sure if the OP was referring to are multiple stops in general ok in an EV compared to ICE/Diesel multiple stops which sometimes caused issues with the engine/filters/elements etc

Reactions: WannabeOwner
A lot of the discussion here is around range so I’d like to highlight a few benefits an EV gives you over an ICE:

Besides the obvious environmental benefit, the quietness and calmness you get from not having that engine run makes the whole ride way more relaxed. There is something to it: the car just quietly accelerates. There are several posts in this forum of people reporting a more relaxed and less tiring ride compared to their previous ICE. Even London rush hour is somehow less annoying

Cabin defrost/preheat is a game changer. Last week, not only the outside but also the inside of my ICE’s windscreen was frozen. Had it idling for a good 15 minutes, scratching ice on the outside, wiping and drying the windscreen on the inside. Meanwhile, a click in the app and the Tesla is completely defrosted and warmed up within less than five minutes (all without nasty exhaust fume)

Then there are the reduced maintenance costs. The electric drive terrain is way more suitable for propelling a car than an ICE. From instant torque to way finer control over traction. I put the Model Y on ice and floored it. Nothing happened. The wheels didn’t spin, car didn’t move. It immediately recognised the loss of traction and cut power. (Gentle use of the accelerator allowed me to drive over the ice without issue). It was a fun test but highlights the safety improvements over an ICE. Less chance of you loosing control over the car during a difficult manoeuvre.

Personally I also love that I don’t have to use petrol or diesel anymore but instead I’m a part of it the revolution in personal transport.