Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2500 AP Option on New Build, Free to Existing Owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

If you owned a MS prior to Tesla pushing AP to existing owners was it free? When I built my car the other day it's listed as a $2500 option which leads to my question. Is this common for Tesla to push new features/enhancements to existing owners for free and then turn around and charge for these options when ordering a new vehicle?

Hey guys,

If you owned a MS prior to Tesla pushing AP to existing owners was it free? When I built my car the other day it's listed as a $2500 option which leads to my question. Is this common for Tesla to push new features/enhancements to existing owners for free and then turn around and charge for these options when ordering a new vehicle?

I think you are mistaken. Owners with AP paid for the option. Tesla just didn't have the software fully done until recently. That is the update that was pushed

Not all paid for it. They started charging in early 2015, or possibly late very late '14. I was a lucky SOB in that they introduced AP into the production stream while my car was being built. I literally made it by two days. How lucky! I, and others at that time, got it for free. No charge, no hassle. It simply showed up in the SW updates. Unfortunately, those days are now gone. However, they have completely changed their pricing scheme. So I do not know how that cost, with other option packages, stack up compared to what I paid. You can see my specs below. I paid 121K before 10K in tax incentives.

Not all paid for it. They started charging in early 2015, or possibly late very late '14. I was a lucky SOB in that they introduced AP into the production stream while my car was being built. I literally made it by two days. How lucky! I, and others at that time, got it for free. No charge, no hassle. It simply showed up in the SW updates. Unfortunately, those days are now gone. However, they have completely changed their pricing scheme. So I do not know how that cost, with other option packages, stack up compared to what I paid. You can see my specs below. I paid 121K before 10K in tax incentives.

Back then wasn't AP bundled with the tech package, so technically not free?

you got it as part of the tech package.