Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250kW Supercharger Charge Curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
Interestingly it's clear from Roy's picture from Ft William and the Twitter photo from Heathrow that the charging profile is the same.
It would be good to have a video of a V3 charge from say 5% to 90% so it can be mapped.
I know its been done before but this profile is different in that it is not using the full 250kW.
When I charged at Amesbury last week it was pretty clear to me that it was not supplying the full amount of ergs but these photos show it was actually the new, disappointing, charging profile.

Reactions: Roy W.
It may be hard for us to get the full whack this time of year. Even after an hour on the motorway I’ve still had it precondition for 15 mins or so, but it won’t do that below 20%, so it’ll be hard to get there with 5% AND be warm enough to give it full beans.

I arrived at Wyboston after ~2 hours on the motorway. Got there with 9%. It gradually ramped up to 190kW @ 16%, then started to come down gradually.

It may be hard for us to get the full whack this time of year. Even after an hour on the motorway I’ve still had it precondition for 15 mins or so, but it won’t do that below 20%, so it’ll be hard to get there with 5% AND be warm enough to give it full beans.

I think you are right, and to get the pack as warm as possible the best advice is to repeatedly floor the car and then come off for max regen in the last mile or so before arriving at the SuC.

I’m not sure this is the best advice for road safety, passenger comfort or car sympathy but that’s not the point here ;)

I think I’ve seen somewhere that standard range plus M3 battery packs aren’t able to receive the full 250kW. Maybe 200-220kW, I can’t remember! If you’re lucky enough to have a long range pack M3 then the charge profile allows 250kW.

Correct me if I’m wrong!

43191CC3-914C-4D63-94BC-DFC9C1CB6F57.jpeg

I think I’ve seen somewhere that standard range plus M3 battery packs aren’t able to receive the full 250kW. Maybe 200-220kW, I can’t remember! If you’re lucky enough to have a long range pack M3 then the charge profile allows 250kW.

Correct me if I’m wrong!

SR+ originally had 100kW then 120 kW charge rate limit on CCS. This was further lifted to 170kW in a software update in November last year along with the 5% power boost that everyone got.

SR+ originally had 100kW then 120 kW charge rate limit on CCS. This was further lifted to 170kW in a software update in November last year along with the 5% power boost that everyone got.
I feel we're obsessing about the wrong metric. What matters is not the vanity of peak power, but the reality of average power of a reasonable SoC swing. My M3SR+ will hit 170Kw on a Ionity charger, and 180KW on a V3 charger, but in both cases averages barely 70kW across 20-80%. That's almost a 3x difference, and means there's not a huge advantage over a 50kW charger.

I feel we're obsessing about the wrong metric. What matters is not the vanity of peak power, but the reality of average power of a reasonable SoC swing. My M3SR+ will hit 170Kw on a Ionity charger, and 180KW on a V3 charger, but in both cases averages barely 70kW across 20-80%. That's almost a 3x difference, and means there's not a huge advantage over a 50kW charger.

Often a 50kw charger will not give 50Kw as the chargers are limited on amps as well as kW. Also normally 80% is not needed to get home (or to next charger) so the advantage charge rate for what is needed will be higher.

Reactions: pow216

Agree that headline speeds are not necessarily a good guide. Do you find that 50kW chargers give you a steady 50kW over the course of charging from 20-80%? I've found that 50kW chargers can fall short also.

You're absolutely right BertieN (in my opinion) and apologies in advance for adding to this discussion for those not interested or who consider this to be the wrong thread.

I've been carrying out some testing of my own at the new Amesbury V3 site regarding charge rate relative to SOC and the empirical evidence supports what the OP has suggested. Owning a performance Model S (not an 85) with the CCS upgrade I have discovered the following whilst charging.

A much flatter charge curve even from a very low SOC (9 miles remaining). The peak charge rate never went above 102 KW however the higher charge (Kwh) rate was sustained for much longer and the taper or slope in and out saw much higher charge rates resulting in a faster overall charge time when compared to the recent past charges at V2 sites prior to CCS upgrade.
Conjecture: The charge curve is probably much kinder to the battery over the longer term as a result of reduced thermal shock. It would be logical to assume that as battery tech improves and real world testing by us guineapigs continue the newer iteraitions will make more use of the 250kwh allegedly on offer.
Tip: For those with Ludicrous+, assuming you can spare the juice prior to charge or are within the applicable SOC, heating the battery with this method appears to improve overall charge time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the 3rd party charger thing that I find a bit annoying.

Tesla learns the GPS co-ordinates of every high power CCS charger the second the first Tesla driver uses it. Tesla could pretty easily add these pins to the map and enable pre-conditioning for 3rd party charging.
Probably another revenue stream to link with charging networks to populate on the Nav. And we’ll probably have to pay £9.99 for premium connectivity for the pleasure of seeing the data.