Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2k FSD Upgrade for EAP Owners Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Tesla is offering the low prices mainly to have a large base of installed HW3 to work with. The most relevant data collection for FSD training will come from HW3 cars. Not even a chance of "shadow mode" for FSD in AP2.x hardware if they can't even run the HW3 NN. So Tesla needs a lot of HW3 running in the wild to maintain their driving data input lead.

I think Tesla is offering the low prices mainly to have a large base of installed HW3 to work with. The most relevant data collection for FSD training will come from HW3 cars. Not even a chance of "shadow mode" for FSD in AP2.x hardware if they can't even run the HW3 NN. So Tesla needs a lot of HW3 running in the wild to maintain their driving data input lead.

Sound reasonable. And I think $2K is plenty to cover the HW3 parts and labor. It supposed to be plug and play computer card near the glove compartment. So maybe a 30 min install and a $200 part? I believe all the senors/cameras remind the same as HW2.5 just swap out the Nvidia computer to the Tesla one.

They're offering the deal because they need cash right now.

They're in a hole between steady global deliveries and the SR.

But once you realize that they can't collect that data until the new hardware is in production (which it is not yet). And once it is in production they will be adding 6K cars per week from that point forward (the hardware will go in ALL vehicles from that point on). Plus retrofitting is likely to take a long time.

I'm just about OK to drop the $2k.
I reckon they were stuck with the announcement time because of its connection to base Model 3.
Also figuring that they were expecting to have HW3 already in cars and the folks who paid for the more expensive FSD will need the hardware upgrade.
therefore I'm rationalizing that I'm paying 2K to get the HW3 hardware and Tesla were expecting someone who bought a car now would have HW3 anyway.
Either way we seem closer to FSD than ever before, so I'm ok with it.
[edited for spelling]

Status
Not open for further replies.