Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@artsci,

Thanks for your commitment to this project! Glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This may be the first time on many online forums where it wasn't immediately clear how to PM. I'm gonna assume "Conversations" are the same as PM, sent one for instructions on how to place a deposit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
@artsci,

Thanks for your commitment to this project! Glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This may be the first of many online forums where it wasn't immediately clear how to PM. I'm gonna assume "Conversations" are the same as PM, sent one for instructions on how to place a deposit.

Conversations are PM's. An upgrade of the software on TMC about a year ago changed the nomenclature of PM to Conversation without an explanation. PM is still easier to say. :)

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Yes. I doubt you can tell from this picture, but the image is reversed. What's on the real left shows on the right. What's on the real right shows on the left. This is because its a rear camera on the front. It takes a day or so to get used to seeing cars coming at your driver side show up on the right side of the image on the screen. A little freaky the first few times you see it. But don't be alarmed by this. Remember we are not driving "by instrument" - we are not using the camera to drive down the street. You only care what's on the screen when its 24"-6" in front of your front bumper/splitter. And you don't care if the closest object is on the few inches left or right of center when looking at the image as you pull forware. Regardless of the left or right of center it is, you simply want to know/see it so you know when to stop pulling forward. On the chance that I am confusing you, as soon as you see it once or twice, it all makes sense.

so after install, you switch to front cam, the image will always be reversed? theres no way to fix this?

so after install, you switch to front cam, the image will always be reversed? theres no way to fix this?

Only the front image is 'reversed' from your perspective looking forward.

The rear image stays the same (which is correctly reversed so you see it correctly).

No, it's not fixable, but trust us, after using the front camera for about 6 minutes, you won't care or notice that it's reversed. The purpose is really to see close obstacles you're about to run into, and not to observe the traffic in front of you, for which your own eyes are a much better device to use. ;)

I had been keeping count of the TMC names of those folks that indicated they were "in". Count was about 76 last.
I suspect some are not frequent visitors to TMC so it might be a little while before you hear from some.
And another problem is, even if you are a frequent visitor, if you are a frequent poster, it’s easy to miss a notification for an updated thread. I had to actually see this had been updated (was high on the list$ to go read it.

Reactions: Akikiki
I've now PM'd (started a conversation in the new vernacular) everyone who's indicated an interest in this thread. Forgive me if I contacted people who've already deposited.

Also, there are a few other older threads about the front camera, as well as my post comparing the four cameras. I can post a link back to this thread to catch some new people to order.

And thanks Hank for posting that link.

Reactions: boaterva
I have a camera on my shelf. Paid the $39.99 Amazon asked. Just a moment ago, found Amazon says they have only 20 remaining. I simply no longer feel competent to do the install. Believe in the project, and trust in the guys doing this - its that my cancer is advancing too fast.
Willing to mail it to anyone willing to "make me whole" - or at least close to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-1006773-00-F-Rear-View-Camera-Harness/dp/B01E0K0JT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524337061&sr=8-1&keywords=Tesla+camera