Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I misunderstood your previous post. The shipping is included when buying from Amazon so my cost of purchase from you will be higher with shipping added on and there will be no recourse if the camera ends up not working once installed vs buying directly from Amazon. Good luck.

Reactions: Mike in CO
I misunderstood your previous post. The shipping is included when buying from Amazon so my cost of purchase from you will be higher with shipping added on and there will be no recourse if the camera ends up not working once installed vs buying directly from Amazon. Good luck.
True - had not considered "the competition" that offers free shipping and right to return. Its just a $40 camera sitting on my shelf, looking for a home. I bought it when there were only a few left - perhaps there are currently many in stock at Amazon. Now it seems like I have to "make an offer" to protect you, to ship to you, and invest more time than the camera is worth. It might just end up in the landfill - path of least resistance. Getting whole seemed like a reasonable request to make to fellow Tesla drivers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike in CO
That $40 camera (of which I have one from the same source) appears now to be the old rear camera. I assume that is the proper one to use for the front install? Or there is no better one (without getting the equivalent to the current HD rear camera). I’m a little confused by some reports of it costing $100...

Back when we first started installing the front kit, the only camera available was the HD version from Tesla. It cost us about $345. Of course this was most of the price of the components of the kit. Sometime about July '15 Tesla started using a different camera. The cost/price of the new one is $78. Yep, big difference in the price. And about a year ago a couple of us stumbled on the one on Amazon. Its actually the same part number of the one that Tesla sold for $345. Yes, less than 10% of the price of that first one.

The newer one, used after July '15 is better in low light, but from my experience, it will not work on the front of my '17 S. Its the same as the one on the rear of my car, but when connected to the switch when using a long cable, there's no image. When I connect it with a short cable it works, but that does not help, because I must use a long cable to reach the front of the car. So, I bought a couple of the Amazon $40 camera and tested them. They work fine. I tried another of the newer camera (like the one on the rear of my car), it simply will not work. So, I am back to using the cheaper Amazon version.

True - had not considered "the competition" that offers free shipping and right to return. Its just a $40 camera sitting on my shelf, looking for a home. I bought it when there were only a few left - perhaps there are currently many in stock at Amazon. Now it seems like I have to "make an offer" to protect you, to ship to you, and invest more time than the camera is worth. It might just end up in the landfill - path of least resistance. Getting whole seemed like a reasonable request to make to fellow Tesla drivers.

The real question is, have you tried returning it to a Walmart?

• Funny
Reactions: SucreTease
We're now ready to begin production. We're assuming an initial production run of 50 units.

The camera switch PCB in a case with two remotes and receptacles and connections for the front and rear cameras and touch screen, 12v power, ground, and reverse signal will be $195.00 each. A refundable pre-production deposit of $100 will be required. If we don't reach 50 deposits production will be canceled and deposits refunded. PM me for information on how to make your reservation deposit.

Other parts needed for installation are as follows. These range in cost (depending on the source) from about $100 to $200.

Tesla cables:

CABLES, HSD, LIFTGATE, CAMERA (1006780-00-D) These are shorter cables and 2 are needed, one for a gender change between the long cable (below) and the front camera; the second to connect from the PCB touchscreen receptacle to the existing touchscreen cable.

CABLE, HSD, BODY MAIN, CAMERA (1006781-00-D) This is a long cable. It connects to the short gender change cable attached to the front camera. This long one then plugs into the PCB port for the front camera.

Rear camera (which becomes the front camera in this application) There are several options on eBay, Amazon, or from Tesla. Here are the Tesla options:

CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1006773-00-F (Used on vehicles built before July 9, 2016. OK to use and replace 1006773-00-D and -E.)
CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1061269-00-B Ok to use -A. Used on vehicles built on or after July 9, 2016. Not compatible with 1006773-00-D/E/F.

I'll post another, separate thread for orders in the TMC Tesla Parts for Sale. Again, PM me for how to make your reservation deposit.

Rear camera (which becomes the front camera in this application) There are several options on eBay, Amazon, or from Tesla. Here are the Tesla options:

CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1006773-00-F (Used on vehicles built before July 9, 2016. OK to use and replace 1006773-00-D and -E.)
CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1061269-00-B Ok to use -A. Used on vehicles built on or after July 9, 2016. Not compatible with 1006773-00-D/E/F.
I previously bought the 1006773-00-F camera, in anticipation of this project, based upon a previous posting; but I may have bought the wrong one. I have an AP2.5 Model S, manufactured in 12/2017. Should I have bought the the 1061269-00-B camera instead?

Is this what the picture is going to look like? This picture was taken from the Teslarati write up linked in the first post.

Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-Front-View.jpg

I previously bought the 1006773-00-F camera, in anticipation of this project, based upon a previous posting; but I may have bought the wrong one. I have an AP2.5 Model S, manufactured in 12/2017. Should I have bought the the 1061269-00-B camera instead?

I think you are good with 1006773-00-F. That's what I am using on my '17. I could not get the 1061269-00-x version to work. Stick with what you have. We newer cars are luckty in that we get to use the cheaper version of the camera.
Note: I do not have and have not tried either camera on a AP 2.5 car. But I believe 2.0 or 2.5 is not going to make any difference reference using 1006773-00-F.

Is this what the picture is going to look like? This picture was taken from the Teslarati write up linked in the first post.

Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-Front-View.jpg
Yes. I doubt you can tell from this picture, but the image is reversed. What's on the real left shows on the right. What's on the real right shows on the left. This is because its a rear camera on the front. It takes a day or so to get used to seeing cars coming at your driver side show up on the right side of the image on the screen. A little freaky the first few times you see it. But don't be alarmed by this. Remember we are not driving "by instrument" - we are not using the camera to drive down the street. You only care what's on the screen when its 24"-6" in front of your front bumper/splitter. And you don't care if the closest object is on the few inches left or right of center when looking at the image as you pull forware. Regardless of the left or right of center it is, you simply want to know/see it so you know when to stop pulling forward. On the chance that I am confusing you, as soon as you see it once or twice, it all makes sense.

I think you are good with 1006773-00-F. That's what I am using on my '17. I could not get the 1061269-00-x version to work. Stick with what you have. We newer cars are luckty in that we get to use the cheaper version of the camera.
Note: I do not have and have not tried either camera on a AP 2.5 car. But I believe 2.0 or 2.5 is not going to make any difference reference using 1006773-00-F.

I am confused now. I have an AP1 car with a build date of 05/16. I got the Amazon camera 1006773-00-F for use with this project. I thought I was good but you are making me nervous now that I got the wrong one. Am I good or should I try to cancel my order?

The 1006773-00-F and older works on all S's from our experience. After the newer one came out a few people that had the front cam kit installed tried that newer camera because it was told to us to have better low res capability. I tried it. It would not work on my '17. It would work on my '17 when I used a short cable, but that's no help. We must use the long cable to reach the grille. So, therefore, it does not work on my '17, and we speculate that its not going to work on newer ones.

Again, we believe from our experience,that the cheaper 1006773-00-x (F and older) will work on any S or X.
Helpful?
:)

• Helpful
Reactions: phaphaphooey
Back when we first started installing the front kit, the only camera available was the HD version from Tesla. It cost us about $345. Of course this was most of the price of the components of the kit. Sometime about July '15 Tesla started using a different camera. The cost/price of the new one is $78. Yep, big difference in the price. And about a year ago a couple of us stumbled on the one on Amazon. Its actually the same part number of the one that Tesla sold for $345. Yes, less than 10% of the price of that first one.

The newer one, used after July '15 is better in low light, but from my experience, it will not work on the front of my '17 S. Its the same as the one on the rear of my car, but when connected to the switch when using a long cable, there's no image. When I connect it with a short cable it works, but that does not help, because I must use a long cable to reach the front of the car. So, I bought a couple of the Amazon $40 camera and tested them. They work fine. I tried another of the newer camera (like the one on the rear of my car), it simply will not work. So, I am back to using the cheaper Amazon version.

Do you have a link for the one you bought from Amazon?

Other parts needed for installation are as follows. These range in cost (depending on the source) from about $100 to $200.

Tesla cables:

CABLES, HSD, LIFTGATE, CAMERA (1006780-00-D) These are shorter cables and 2 are needed, one for a gender change between the long cable (below) and the front camera; the second to connect from the PCB touchscreen receptacle to the existing touchscreen cable.

CABLE, HSD, BODY MAIN, CAMERA (1006781-00-D) This is a long cable. It connects to the short gender change cable attached to the front camera. This long one then plugs into the PCB port for the front camera.

Hurray that you are now taking orders (I've sent a PM). I hope you will be providing more information about parts sources (even if the sole source is Tesla, how does one go about ordering the parts?).
as well as detailed installation instructions, so we can begin anticipating what is involved. Thanks again for taking on this project!