Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be the additional (complete/turnkey) cost of a CANBUS reader for a reverse signal?

Cost would be about $100 for the panda module (+maybe a few $ for the cable to connect it to the diag port... though actually, this maybe possible 100% via the OBD port... will look into that a bit more in the next day or two. panda OBD-II Dongle

Bravo, appleguru! I wish you the best of luck finding time to come up with a clean solution. I'm eager to get the camera switch, but not at all eager to have to run another wire to the rear of the vehicle to get the reverse camera signal. Fingers crossed, and thanks in advance for sharing your efforts with the TMC community.

Almost done with my initial code for this... you guys can follow along with my branch here: appleguru/panda

There are actually lots of CAN signals I can use for "is the car in reverse", so I need to do a bit more testing to which one is the best/if any are available on the OBD port.

I've borrowed an unused GPIO output on the panda's STM32F413 micro. It is logic level; off is 0V and on is 3.3V DC. This *may* work directly with the camera switch as is, or it may require a small transistor/FET to switch 12V... depends on how the switch circuit was designed. Once I get the switch @HankLloydRight shipped me, I can so some additional testing.

Reactions: Akikiki and MP3Mike
There are no signal pins on the Tesla OBDII port, only power and ground. It's really just there for legal compliance.

The switch is going out today!

I thought this too, but IIRC from the Tesla wiring diagrams there is at least one set of CAN lines present on the connector (the Chassis bus I believe). I will do some additional investigating and report back.

Reactions: Akikiki
Definition of "Akikiki is looking into that now," is, I've connected Artsci with someone that is not a member of TMC for that help then got out their way.

Hank's right the tapped reverse signal is +12v.

appleguru, looks like two cable are required. One about 12' long serves as a gender changer at about $25.xx and the other runs from the front of the car to the left side dash, cost is about $25.xx too using prices from several years ago and also posted recently in another project on TMC.

I lifted this list from a recent TMC thread from an owner that is installing the rear camera on the back of his camper towed behind his X. Sorry, it did not include costs and does not include the short cables.
  1. 100-6782-00-E Female/Female 53.5"
  2. 100-6781-00-E Male/Male 144"
  3. 100-6780-00-D Female/Female 65.5

Ok, I’m still a bit confused on the correct cables needed. Do I need two extra cables? Or 3? What gender(s) do they need to be?

This is a perfect scenario for using Summon.

Absolutely if it was trustworthy to not hit something. Just seen enough videos where it scrapes a wall and I'm afraid it will make an abrupt steering change and hit something before I can react as the clearance is literally a few inches on either side.

Someone posted earlier about setting up a "summon rail" for the car's wheels to travel on and I'd love a solution like that where the car's wheels will not leave the track.

Given the successful tests of V2 we’re about to go into production. I will post cost and order information, including a list of the parts (2nd rear camera and Tesla cables to make all of the connections to the front and rear camera and touchscreen). I’m guessing that the cost will total about $400 for everything that’s needed. Camera switch PCB and case will be under $200, cables about $35 each (3 needed), and camera $50 to $150 (depending on where it’s bought — Amazon, eBay, or Tesla.

More tomorrow or Thursday. Will provide the installation instructions this weekend.

Tomorrow never comes? Which Thursday?
There was an old comic that had a hamburger eater called Wimpy that would plead with PopEye - "I'd gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today".
OK - I know this is a tad snarky, but I am real excited about this project. I know that there are a bunch of folks spending their personal time and talents to bring this forward - with zero expectation of profit and fame, just a hope of appreciation. Let me insert here - Thank You for keeping my interest high for this long. So - I've already bought my Amazon camera and just need $400 more unique items to keep from bashing my chin. Just gotta wait until tomorrow, or Thursday.

Confession time= I've been driving my MS for about 1.5 years now and have figured out how to park it without chin scraping. During that time I have also physically withered - and no longer feel like I have the ability to bend/twist and install these wires. So, Do I hire it done by others, on top of the cost of the equipment, to solve a problem that time has solved?
I think I might be at a point where I give up my slot to buy this hardware, and even offer to pass on the Amazon camera I bought while anticipating the joy of this project. Anyone interested?