Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Steering wheel centered screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this has been talked about before. If so, I apologize.

Has anyone thought about an aftermarket screen for behind the wheel like the S or X have? I am currently waiting for a Model Y for my wife. She is excited about the car. Her only negative feedback is the single screen. We own a model S and she can't understand why that second screen is least an option.

Wonder if someone could intercept the main screen and be selective on what shows on the other screen. I know that would be near impossible, but a thought none the less. For example if they were able to pickup on speed and energy or something. Maybe this is totally crazy! :)

Can you tell I am done with my day at work and want to think about Tesla?!!

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Not going to happen. I had use of a Model X for several days recently and was surprised how much I disliked the 2nd screen compared to the single screen on my 3.
Having to look thru the steering wheel just seemed cumbersome and archaic. Funny how quickly you get used to the single screen.

I owned a Model 3. When it was in for a cracked rear glass defect replacement They loaned me a Model S. Loved it so much I bought a Raven Model X several months later to replace the Model 3.

The center screen is not really a huge problem. But I much prefer the S/X setup of 3/Y. So many choices of what to configure on the second screen as well.

The 3/Y blocks some of your view of the road. See 3rd party mount that moves it out of the way. Something I would never do but bad enough someone is selling a new mount. It also turns it towards the driver.

As the OP pointed out about 1/3 of the smaller screen is for Speed / AP. So you end up with around a 10” diagonal (square) for Navigation. Not much bigger than my ICE car screen for Nav.

Where as you end up with a huge 17” (portrait) for Navigation. I like AP and Blind Spot dead ahead in the cluster. Feels more natural there.

The Wider cabin and portrait screen also allows my phone to be mounted between the steering wheel and the portrait screen (via a ProClip). I still need to use the phone. Unlock, might use Waze or even Google maps with better alternative routes during a accident ahead (something I hope Tesla eventually improves). It’s in the safest best position to actually use the phone. the cubby under the screen basically puts the phone out of service except for hands free calls.

There is an expensive 3rd party screen for Model 3 for a cluster display. But it can’t free up any usage on the main screen, so has very little added value.

Just my opinion, but every time I think I'm used to the single screen of the Model 3, I drive our 2016 Volt and realize how much I miss the screen behind the steering wheel. I guess I'm less adaptable to change in my old age.....

Reactions: kwang
Once you get used to it, which take s a very few days, you tend to wonder why that was ever done in the first place.
I just about always have problems seeing the speedometer in other cars, because the steering wheel is in the way.

Don't fix it until you've tried it.

This, I agree with this 100%, I never really think about it anymore, and I use a lot of rental cars with my travels for work, and I can say having the speedometer/RPMs/etc behind the wheel becomes hard to see through the wheel.

Once you get used to it, which take s a very few days, you tend to wonder why that was ever done in the first place.
I just about always have problems seeing the speedometer in other cars, because the steering wheel is in the way.

Don't fix it until you've tried it.

Agree with this. Of course it is subjective and biased by habit but driving the X after not doing so for months always leaves me initially frustrated with what information is strewn around where.
If I were you I’d drive it around a bit and then decide to buy extras a few months into it.

I agree with all of these statements. We will of course try it without the center screen first. I think it is this simple....if it is there, it will be used. Much like my Model S. The directions are to my right, but they are also right in front of me. I always look at the directions on the panel in front of me. I think the same would be with speed and any what music is playing. Of course this adds complexity and cost. Thus why it was scratched from the design of the 3/Y. I get it. Most likely we won't get the 2nd screen because of the price point. 3K is a ton of money for such a 1st world problem :) If it was like $800, I would have considered it though. Down the road I would love to see this kind of thing as an option though.....but in the world of Elon, that probably won't happen.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I owned a Model 3. When it was in for a cracked rear glass defect replacement They loaned me a Model S. Loved it so much I bought a Raven Model X several months later to replace the Model 3.

The center screen is not really a huge problem. But I much prefer the S/X setup of 3/Y. So many choices of what to configure on the second screen as well.

The 3/Y blocks some of your view of the road. See 3rd party mount that moves it out of the way. Something I would never do but bad enough someone is selling a new mount. It also turns it towards the driver.

As the OP pointed out about 1/3 of the smaller screen is for Speed / AP. So you end up with around a 10” diagonal (square) for Navigation. Not much bigger than my ICE car screen for Nav.

Where as you end up with a huge 17” (portrait) for Navigation. I like AP and Blind Spot dead ahead in the cluster. Feels more natural there.

The Wider cabin and portrait screen also allows my phone to be mounted between the steering wheel and the portrait screen (via a ProClip). I still need to use the phone. Unlock, might use Waze or even Google maps with better alternative routes during a accident ahead (something I hope Tesla eventually improves). It’s in the safest best position to actually use the phone. the cubby under the screen basically puts the phone out of service except for hands free calls.

There is an expensive 3rd party screen for Model 3 for a cluster display. But it can’t free up any usage on the main screen, so has very little added value.
Hhhhhmmmm... looking at getting a Y, but really don't like the interior vs the S/X. I think I'm back to leaning to an S.

I installed a samsung display in my 3, will probably do the same in the Y. I added it because I like WAZE over the Tesla nav, Waze has live traffic, accidents, construction, and police. I'm sure the setup isn't for everyone, but I like it.

I have since painted the mount white.

extension.jpg

Speedo.jpg

Looks pretty good! What kind of Samsung device is it?

I installed a samsung display in my 3, will probably do the same in the Y. I added it because I like WAZE over the Tesla nav, Waze has live traffic, accidents, construction, and police. I'm sure the setup isn't for everyone, but I like it.

View attachment 520691

View attachment 520692

That's an expensive little screen! Anyone else notice the vaguely ominous message onscreen in one of their demo photos?
THE FUTURE
IS ASLEEP

Edit:
On a more serious and on-topic note, Personally I'm not a huge fan of the behind-the-steering-wheel displays, always find myself needing to twist around to read the part of the instrument panel I need, which is inevitably behind one of the spokes of the steering wheel of the family ICE car. I'm glad the model 3 just has the center screen, though there are times it'd be nice if it could pivot.

Last edited:
Like it too! Had a 2002 Mini for 10 years with the center speedo, and even after all that time did not like having to take my eyes so far off the road. Too bad the 3 and Y don't offer a HUD.

View attachment 520691

View attachment 520692
It is uglier, but is the Waze web version in the center screen not good for your? ( I admit I only put it up there seldom on road trips )