Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

300 prototypes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course mine was an oversemplification, i don't think tesla will ever sacrifice quality for time, but again, if you know that a partner isn't going to deliver and can't keep you pace, then you simply drop it and find another with the same quality. You just can't afford to keep a partner that isn't keeping pace or deliver a wrost quality or similar ( just think of mobileye )

When there isn't available partner with the right quality, they simply build it in house, like they have already done, but at this time they simply can't miss the model 3 deadline, too much is at stake this ( or better.. they can't miss it by too much :D )
I think the primary purpose of such stress tests is also to determine what a Supplier can achieve, relative to what they say they can do. If someone says they can get you 2,000 units per week, but they can actually come through with 3,000 per week, all is good. If the first supplier can actually only deliver 1,500 per week, hold them to that standard, then find someone else who can also deliver 1,500 per week and use them too. That way no one gets 'fired' though they may make less money per month. On the other hand, if someone says they can deliver 2,000 units per week, and after multiple delays they still haven't reached 300 units per week...? Well, yeah... You fire those guys.

When will they produce those 300 prototypes?

OK, I'll take one. :D
If they really are prototypes, they won't be fore sale. At Mercedes, we always built hundreds of prototypes and early cars for shaking down the assembly line and training the workforce. These were always collected and crushed (except for a couple destined for the museum) after the prototyping stage. The reason they are not sold is that some of them will contain assembly errors or parts with problems (wiring harnesses are notorious for this), which would be major quality issues if put into the hands of final customers. Some process corrections and manufacturability-related engineering changes will be made before customer-ready cars are built. (That is, you really don't want a prototype).

I would say you cannot ALWAYS have all three. I believe that sometimes you can. It is best to work toward improving the likelihood that all three goals are accomplished as best as possible. I expect that is what Elon Musk is attempting to convince suppliers to achieve. I realize that the mantra, "You can have it right, fast, or cheap, but not all at once -- pick two." is a standard concept in business management. We just need a higher standard.
McDonalds has been able to perfect it. Right Fast and Cheap.

I didn't say it was good though.

The most important thing about McDonalds from a business concept is consistency. If I go to Baltimore Maryland and then drive all the way to Fresno California and ordered the same thing at McDonalds...they would taste identical. I would say that 99% of all McDonalds customers (right now in this forum) know what they will get when ordering a #1 off the menu. They could also probably imagine what it will taste like - Because its been the same for 25years and it's STILL selling like hotcakes. If you get tricked by the taste of a #1, then something is drastically wrong with that establishment ( not McDonalds).

Anywhoo. There are many other fast and cheap and right establishments out there.

Hmmm...how can Tesla do this in the future...hmmm. Oh I know.

Full out Autonomous production of cars.

1. Arrive at the Gigafactory entrance factory door.
2. Dump a bunch of plastic and metal and chemicles into the hopper.
3. Walk ( because it will take that long to produce the car) to the Gigafactory exit door and pickup your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage

The most important thing about McDonalds from a business concept is consistency. If I go to Baltimore Maryland and then drive all the way to Fresno California and ordered the same thing at McDonalds...they would taste identical. I would say that 99% of all McDonalds customers (right now in this forum) know what they will get when ordering a #1 off the menu. They could also probably imagine what it will taste like - Because its been the same for 25years and it's STILL selling like hotcakes. If you get tricked by the taste of a #1, then something is drastically wrong with that establishment ( not McDonalds).

Anywhoo. There are many other fast and cheap and right establishments out there.
Precisely. Hence, why when Elon Musk was asked about whether or not Tesla Motors would use 'independent franchised dealerships' he said he would be fine with it -- if he could control them in the manner that McDonald's does. The problem is that State franchise laws for car sales are separate from those from every other type of business... And they specifically outlaw the notion of an automobile manufacturer having that level of control over 'independent franchised dealerships'. Consistency of manufacturing, consistency of delivery, consistency of sales. They all go hand-in-hand to ensure success.

I think the primary purpose of such stress tests is also to determine what a Supplier can achieve, relative to what they say they can do. If someone says they can get you 2,000 units per week, but they can actually come through with 3,000 per week, all is good. If the first supplier can actually only deliver 1,500 per week, hold them to that standard, then find someone else who can also deliver 1,500 per week and use them too. That way no one gets 'fired' though they may make less money per month. On the other hand, if someone says they can deliver 2,000 units per week, and after multiple delays they still haven't reached 300 units per week...? Well, yeah... You fire those guys.

I have an idea. What if we could take our ICE car to what I would call "The Gigafactory cliff" ( a mountain right outside of the factory) and watch our ICE cars drop into a gigantic hopper with huge metal grinding teeth and disappear into oblivion and wait at the exit door for our M3 to appear in 1 hours with fully recycled parts.

You thought the M≡ pre-order lines were long....whew... I couldn't imagine how long this line would be. Some people wouldn't even want a car at the end....They just want to legally drive their cars of cliffs and not get arrested.

Come on Elon....lets do something with this idea.

I am a concept person - not a reality one. .

Hmmm...how can Tesla do this in the future...hmmm. Oh I know.

Full out Autonomous production of cars.

1. Arrive at the Gigafactory entrance factory door.
2. Dump a bunch of plastic and metal and chemicles into the hopper.
3. Walk ( because it will take that long to produce the car) to the Gigafactory exit door and pickup your car.
Almost. I dunno what it is, but the McChicken in California tastes a bit different than everywhere else. Also, some places I have to say "McChicken", and other places I have to say "hot and spicy McChicken". Actually, on vacation a few weeks ago I ordered the latter, and was told they don't have it. Had to walk back a few minutes later after studying the menu to order the former without issues.

What else am I going to do for the next 18 months...hmmm?

Lets see..... and idea per day with 18 moths left until delivery.....That's over 540 more ideas to go. I just gave one in the thread above...soo 539 more to go.

What do you guys think?

There is a funny skit by Steve Martin (i think) standup...long time ago ...where he basically does this very skit, people go into mcd's and a single machine makes everything. Fries, press a button...out they come, soda, straw, wrappers, need change....splat....there you go. Anyhow the idea that you just dump stuff in and out comes the machine has been done pretty well for decades. What's funny is where you take that to the next level and the machine that makes your soda cup also made the soda..from the same ingredients.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage