Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

300 prototypes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
giphy.gif
OK. I'll take the 160 on the right. You take the 140 on the left.

There are a few things:

It will be a lot of work recording and applying the feedback on these... systems. The machine that processes the data may be more impressive than the machine that builds the machine.

300 are needed if you want to coordinate (leverage the distance between) the sensors to make a really great car.

Great news!

I'm just glad they're going to such a (relatively) large scale with this rollout.

This will give Tesla the opportunity to test the Model 3 in a variety of situations and/or climates.

Who knows.....we might even get to see beta prototype mules on the East Coast. (Tesla would be wise to do some real-world testing here in the winter).

I agree that it's good that they are validating stuff with more than handful of cars. That being said, we need to remember that it's not given that they will build 300 cars, even the article mentioned that some parts are likely used only in stress tests etc.

I agree that it's good that they are validating stuff with more than handful of cars. That being said, we need to remember that it's not given that they will build 300 cars, even the article mentioned that some parts are likely used only in stress tests etc.

True, and as someone else mentioned NHTSA crash testing. I'm more excited that this likely means the timeline hasn't "slipped" yet. Maybe we'll get a tiny bit more clarity on the Q2 results call today.

I'm hoping that most of these cars will be destined for showroom display as the Part 2 Reveal aftershock. ;) After all, Tesla has about 222 showrooms worldwide and would generate more sales if the public gets a first hand experience of a much more affordable car.

As previously mentioned in various posts, the rest could be used for testing at various levels: crashes, autopilot 2.0, climate, long range driving, reliability, consumer PR, etc.

So is the article implying (sorry didn't have time to read it yet) that they ordered 300 of each prototype part? I am guessing if that is the case then most likely 1/2 of them will be burned up when trying to dial in the production facilities. Some will end up on people's desks so they can analyze them etc.... I think it is impossible to deduce from the initial prototype order how many prototype cars they will build.

I work on automotive parts and it is very common for companies to buy hundreds of chips for testing etc... and they never make it into a car.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
So is the article implying (sorry didn't have time to read it yet) that they ordered 300 of each prototype part? I am guessing if that is the case then most likely 1/2 of them will be burned up when trying to dial in the production facilities. Some will end up on people's desks so they can analyze them etc.... I think it is impossible to deduce from the initial prototype order how many prototype cars they will build.

I work on automotive parts and it is very common for companies to buy hundreds of chips for testing etc... and they never make it into a car.
Good insight, but I think the takeaway here is simply that they have started their "beta" phase of the M3 project and are still on schedule. Progress!

That's awesome but why such a large number of Model 3 prototypes?
Also, as the article mentioned even if they have the parts to build 300 cars, they probably won't actually build that many complete cars. Many of the parts will go to various places to be smashed, bent, dropped, lit on fire, frozen, drowned, kicked, spit upon and other stress testing, other pieces will be sent to other parts manufacturers for compatibility testing. Some will go to the production line designers so they can make sure the line they're building can make them efficiently. And still others will end up as souvenirs on someone's desk :D

I'd be surprised if they actually produce half as many fully working vehicles as they can with these parts. Remember these are the beta models, after this they'll start producing them on the production line for final testing and tweaking, it's those you'll probably see a lot of.

Also, as the article mentioned even if they have the parts to build 300 cars, they probably won't actually build that many complete cars. Many of the parts will go to various places to be smashed, bent, dropped, lit on fire, frozen, drowned, kicked, spit upon and other stress testing, other pieces will be sent to other parts manufacturers for compatibility testing. Some will go to the production line designers so they can make sure the line they're building can make them efficiently. And still others will end up as souvenirs on someone's desk :D

I'd be surprised if they actually produce half as many fully working vehicles as they can with these parts. Remember these are the beta models, after this they'll start producing them on the production line for final testing and tweaking, it's those you'll probably see a lot of.
I wonder if I can get a discount on one of these smashed up ones. LOL just kidding.

Reactions: Red Sage