Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

300 prototypes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks the scale and gets 7 stars out of 5. High speed collisions end up creating life. :cool:

Somehow reminded me of this:
C1gRa.jpg

In the earnings call Elon expressed annoyance with "certain" suppliers that he was going to personally visit since they do not seem to be able to meet the time table for production. I'm wondering if this was a "stress test" so to speak for the suppliers.

In the earnings call Elon expressed annoyance with "certain" suppliers that he was going to personally visit since they do not seem to be able to meet the time table for production. I'm wondering if this was a "stress test" so to speak for the suppliers.
I believe he was going to visit a *Model X* supplier who was having issues keeping up with production, not Model 3.

Mildly annoyed with this confrontational attitude towards suppliers, would rather see them working in co-operation. And yes, I understand that Tesla is a customer for those suppliers and I don't mean that they should be BFFs or anything. And of course the full picture isn't visible to the public.

My impression is that Tesla is working closely with suppliers. But when a supplier says they can deliver say 2000/units per week at a given date, and they fail to do that, Tesla should try to make sure the supplier is doing everything to resolve the issues. And if the supplier isn't able to do what they agreed to, Tesla should be quick to look for a different supplier.

It's all about keeping your word and be timing or be open to modify your part in time with the schedule that tesla is keeping, and i suppose it's very hard on the supplier wich are used to a lot less demaning client .. wich could need more pieces, but they change the specification less often, and in this lies the problem
if they can't, they have to dump the supplier or else they will not deliver, it's not being "less friendly" or similar, but if you can't deliver the model 3 because nvidia need 5 month more for the display what you want them to do? way the 5 month and deliver in middle 2018?

It's all about keeping your word and be timing or be open to modify your part in time with the schedule that tesla is keeping, and i suppose it's very hard on the supplier wich are used to a lot less demaning client .. wich could need more pieces, but they change the specification less often, and in this lies the problem
if they can't, they have to dump the supplier or else they will not deliver, it's not being "less friendly" or similar, but if you can't deliver the model 3 because nvidia need 5 month more for the display what you want them to do? way the 5 month and deliver in middle 2018?

This is of course oversimplification but I view quality, cost and availability to be in a triangular connection to each other. You can have two but not three, so in your example case, yes, I think they should wait for 5 months to meet the cost and quality targets. I'm sure lots of people would sacrifice quality and other cost.

Of course mine was an oversemplification, i don't think tesla will ever sacrifice quality for time, but again, if you know that a partner isn't going to deliver and can't keep you pace, then you simply drop it and find another with the same quality. You just can't afford to keep a partner that isn't keeping pace or deliver a wrost quality or similar ( just think of mobileye )

When there isn't available partner with the right quality, they simply build it in house, like they have already done, but at this time they simply can't miss the model 3 deadline, too much is at stake this ( or better.. they can't miss it by too much :D )

This is of course oversimplification but I view quality, cost and availability to be in a triangular connection to each other. You can have two but not three, so in your example case, yes, I think they should wait for 5 months to meet the cost and quality targets. I'm sure lots of people would sacrifice quality and other cost.
I would say you cannot ALWAYS have all three. I believe that sometimes you can. It is best to work toward improving the likelihood that all three goals are accomplished as best as possible. I expect that is what Elon Musk is attempting to convince suppliers to achieve. I realize that the mantra, "You can have it right, fast, or cheap, but not all at once -- pick two." is a standard concept in business management. We just need a higher standard.

Reactions: jkk_