Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

310-mile Ideal Range! Can you top that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben W

Chess Grandmaster (Supervised)
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
Inadvertently switched my S to Range Mode while charging overnight on the 110v mobile connector -- now this is what I call topped up!!

Tesla310Range.jpg

Wonder why that happened, maybe you got the only 86 kWh battery!

Ha :biggrin: 87.8kWh, actually, if you multiply it out! I suspect that the voltage reading may be slightly inaccurate after a 110v charge; it's always seemed suspiciously higher than it should be after using the mobile charger, relative to using the HPWC. Also, the first few miles after a 110v charge tend to "use up" much more energy than would be expected. I immediately drove ten miles after this, at a speed that would ordinarily use ~375Wh/mi, but the display indicated a rate of ~525Wh/mi. Sort of the inverse of the artificially "low range" displayed after an overnight cold-soak, I guess? Still, fun to see it on the display. (The highest I ever got my Roadster was 247 ideal miles, also after a 110v Range charge.)

If you got a similar result also on the Roadster it could mean that by charging at a lower voltage (110V) you get better results.
I read that it's always better, when possible, to charge the battery slowly.
I don't know if getting a higher battery voltage (assuming that's why the ideal miles number is higher) is "better" for the battery. Yes, slower charging rates are generally better (although when it's that slow I question if there's really much of a difference), but higher battery voltages are not.

I don't know if getting a higher battery voltage (assuming that's why the ideal miles number is higher) is "better" for the battery. Yes, slower charging rates are generally better (although when it's that slow I question if there's really much of a difference), but higher battery voltages are not.

Yes you are right. But I also read that once on a while (like once each month) it is good to charge the battery in range mode to balance the battery. Of course when the battery is charged in range mode it is better to use the car as soon as the battery is completely charged.

I think i had 312 once but now I put it in rated so it is 277 to 280

I always keep it in Rated as well, but of course Ideal looked more impressive for the photo. :biggrin:

What I really wish they had is a 'Sport' mode option, which would display mileage remaining at say 375 Wh/mi. (That would give about ~200mi in Standard or ~225mi in Range mode.) That would save me doing the constant conversion in my head of "Ok, I have 90 Rated miles remaining, so that's actually 75 real miles"... and more closely match the real-world driving style of most actual drivers. (A/C on, a few MPH above the speed limit, etc.)