Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 surround view + HDMI kit testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. This would make it SO MUCH easier to navigate tight parking garages we have around here.

How much does this cost to have installed?

Thanks. I also deal with challenging parking situations and this system removes the guesswork. It is not a perfect solution, but I am VERY happy with the result. Tommy (BearBu) has been tremendously helpful before and after the sale.

I paid $775 shipped for the HDMI kit and the 360 surround system. Purchased them together direct from BearBu.

I'm not sure what a shop would charge for the install. I did the DIY thing and it took me two days. A shop will almost certainly be faster. If you find someone familiar with disassembling the side mirrors it shouldn't take them long at all. Most of my time was spent looking at youtube videos trying to figure out how to disassemble my car without breaking it.

Reactions: NoirMS
Also, is the software that stitches the images together expected to improve?

BearBu is a better person to answer the software improvement question. I don't want to step on his toes, so hopefully he chimes in. I do know that with calibration you can make the stitching better. This was my third calibration and it has improved each time. The thing I probably will never be able to get completely fixed is the change in camera perspective. The nose camera is significantly lower on my car than my sideview and rear cameras. When I drive past something the camera is looking from 13" off the ground (nose camera) then up to 36" (side camera) then down to 31"(hatch camera). The curb just looks way different. I still see the line where it starts and that is helpful, but not perfect. This seems to be worse for the nose vs the rear of the car. I think a model X or a refresh S will have better perspective since the mounting location of the nose camera will likely be higher. Maybe I'll try to move mine up. Also I believe there are settings for the amount of overlap of each camera, but I have not messed with it yet.

Not sure if that answered what you were looking for. Hopefully it did.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
It would be nice to improve the image so we can the front curb rash when parking.

Maybe the video doesn't do it justice. I am able to stop within a few inches of a curb. I know this is just a line, but curbs work the same way despite the low camera. It is much easier to see in person.

CaVXypO.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DCEV
This is very cool...and useful.
Did you have to manually switch to this view...how does it know?

Not 100% sure if you are referring to the picture I took above. That was just from my iPhone walk around after I parked. I got out and was trying to show how close I was able to get to the line using the 360 system.

In case you were referring to the MCU video views... Within the 360 surround view system it auto switches to forward and reverse views. It also shows the 3D side view when you hit the blinker. The rest of the views are done with the remote (I dont think this is practical when driving). I still actually prefer to use the Tesla reverse camera (right now anyway). That toggle is done via the menu button. There are several customizable views available within the surround view system.

The system isn't perfect. I just thought it was pretty cool, so I installed it on my car. I find it useful.

MCU view (nose touching the line)

dCz5dra.png

Iphone walk around after parked
zu1XQJX.png

BearBu is a better person to answer the software improvement question. I don't want to step on his toes, so hopefully he chimes in. I do know that with calibration you can make the stitching better. This was my third calibration and it has improved each time. The thing I probably will never be able to get completely fixed is the change in camera perspective. The nose camera is significantly lower on my car than my sideview and rear cameras. When I drive past something the camera is looking from 13" off the ground (nose camera) then up to 36" (side camera) then down to 31"(hatch camera). The curb just looks way different. I still see the line where it starts and that is helpful, but not perfect. This seems to be worse for the nose vs the rear of the car. I think a model X or a refresh S will have better perspective since the mounting location of the nose camera will likely be higher. Maybe I'll try to move mine up. Also I believe there are settings for the amount of overlap of each camera, but I have not messed with it yet.

Not sure if that answered what you were looking for. Hopefully it did.

I believe the stitching can be fine-tuned a bit more. It's all about the calibration. You will get better stitching when you are getting experienced with the calibration.

Here is the stitching quality of the 360 on my AP1 Model S FYI

I believe the stitching can be fine-tuned a bit more. It's all about the calibration. You will get better stitching when you are getting experienced with the calibration.

Here is the stitching quality of the 360 on my AP1 Model S FYI

I think you've created the best aftermarket add-on for the Model S! Just trying to figure out how to have this installed.

Do you know of anyone in the Washington DC area who can do the installation and calibration?

Reactions: CameronB