Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party Selling a Roadster Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just browsing for Roadster parts on eBay as I occasionally do. I'm not looking for anything in particular, but sometimes I just like to see what's out there.

Looks like Gruber is selling a refurbished or salvaged Roadster battery pack for $19,480.00

Tesla Roadster Battery Pack - 172 Mile Range

For that price, I'd just pony up another $10K for the 3.0.

At least the picture is interesting. I've never seen the battery pack pictured like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Rolf68
I see nothing in that eBay ad about any kind of warranty on that pack. All I see is this statement, quote:

"Within 14 days of receiving the item, please call Gruber Power Services for a refund. Depending on the reason, unit, or amount of days, a refund may be given in the form of: money back or item exchange. Customer must ship the products to the address mentioned in the return instructions at their own expense."

So if you buy it and it fails 15 days after it is installed (and who will install it) you have...a dead weight until you figure out how to get it repaired.

I would never buy a Roadster battery like that.

I wonder where the coolant flows between the batteries. I kinda expected some more "plumbery" ...

The coolant plumbing is on the other side of the ESS that isn't shown in the pictures:
ESS_Back.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: triakter and Rolf68
Having third party suppliers, preferably authorized by the car manufacture, is essential for the long term survival of limited production automobiles if the dedication of the parent manufacturer is in doubt. Others have said this before re roadsters and many other cars. Not saying that Tesla will not be dedicated to supporting the roadster in the very long run but good to be t least discussing this issue.

That being said, a third party supplier of a battery is a complicated issue. First of all, the battery isn't going to fail within a year unless it was a considerably poor rebuild. The concern I would have is more in the selection of battery cells ( when the third party community reaches that level of refurbishing (beyond electronics and connectors, etc)). The choice of cells, how well they are balanced in capacity, the choice of positive electrodes (which are dynamic as the choice of transition metal ratios utilized in layered oxides are being revisited), whether the positive electrodes are coated, the choice of negative electrode, electrolyte, and especially electrolyte additives. On top of that, whether the ESS charging protocol is optimized for that very particular collection of chemistries. Also, how were the cells stored before assembling into the battery. Maybe I would take a shot with a third party for a PEM, but for a battery system, there would have to be a good decade of history for the company or a partnership with a major battery cell manufacturer before I would seriously consider such an option. Not worried about one year down the road, worried about five to ten years, even if I saved 40%. There is no reason why Li-ion batteries can't survive 15 years if properly managed and level of discharge is controlled. Regarding the other thread that was recently active, the impact of the roadster is clear, but the more amazing impact, even to those in the field, is the demonstrated amazing longevity of the 6.9k Li-ion cell ESS of the roadster. This is an amazing accomplishment by Tesla and they deserve much respect for their attention to developing a very impressive and robust active thermal control and power/charging system for the roadster. This and the motor, besides, the beauty of the roadster is something to be proud of and really established the foundation of the viability of EVs and demonstration that the batteries can last.