Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party Used Model 3 how can I verify it legit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My used 3 from tesla came with fsd, so I didn’t have to buy it extra

No, you bought it as part of the car purchase.

That's what's great (for Tesla) here... they can take buy a used Tesla with FSD and remove it and sell it that way and then later bill a customer for a new FSD install.... or they can buy a used Tesla WITHOUT FSD, and add it themselves and add that to the price of the used car.... whatever makes more sense/$ for them at the time...

Or any combo in between- like they could buy one with EAP, knock it down to basic AP, and sell it that way with FSD as a future buyer add-on.

In fact- looking at used 2018 Teslas right now (which would've been the most likely EAP cars)- NONE of them list EAP. Some list basic AP though (which didn't exist in 2018).

• Informative
Reactions: Margaritaboy
For private party sale from the original owner? Well, their name will be on the MVPA for one...

Why?

Can a Ford dealer take upgraded wheels off a used mustang whose monroney listed it? of course they can. And some do.

Same deal.

Not to mention Monroneys are notoriously inaccurate (esp. for Teslas)- for example my original one doesn't list FSD at all.

My MVPA does though.

There's also folks who bought a P but got an AWD monroney (and vice versa)- but again the MVPA was correct.

The MVPA is the actual legal contract saying what you paid for and what came with the purchase.

That, not the window sticker, is what you should be asking to see if buying private party.

Why is Tesla obligated to provide anything to support 3rd party used car dealers?

Hell does ANY car maker provide such a thing to the general public where inputting a VIN gives you the full factory option list on that specific car?

The root of the problem is that Tesla removes it seemingly when ever they want. They are the only ones who can do it too. Only they can add or delete the software. It could be present on a car when you buy it and then gone the next week if Tesla deems it so. Its a problem that Tesla creates and that's why they should do something about it. If a dealer sells me a car with changed out rims they aren't going to come back in a week and say those rims weren't paid for by the last guy who owned it and take them back. There's no way to stop Tesla from taking the software back and very little to no way to prove previous owners paid for the software. Its all based on Tesla's word.

Its not illegal for them to change it while they own it but it seriously muddies the water on the car's history and value. They created a scenario where you can never be sure of what you are actually buying. Its not good for resale. I know I would think twice before paying extra for FSD on a used car. Its a gamble.

The root of the problem is that Tesla removes it seemingly when ever they want.

Except, they don't.

They only remove it when either:

Ownership passes back to them

or

A software audit catches that it's turned on on a car where the owner didn't pay for it.

The one-off that got a lot of press was already explained as the first case but they didn't get the front/back end systems talking to each other before they resold the car- that's an internal IT problem that is asolutely on Tesla to fix, but it's not arbitrary random removal as you suggest.

They are the only ones who can do it too. Only they can add or delete the software. It could be present on a car when you buy it and then gone the next week if Tesla deems it so.

No, it can't.

If you buy it and it never passed into Teslas hands (and the feature was ACTUALLY PAID FOR by any previous owner) they can't take it away from you.

Same is the case with lifetime premium connectivity (They even call this fact out in the connectivity FAQ- saying it passes to new owners via private sale- but will be removed if Tesla regains ownership of the car)

There's no way to stop Tesla from taking the software back and very little to no way to prove previous owners paid for the software. Its all based on Tesla's word.

Of course there's a way to prove a previous owner paid for it.

Get the receipt from him.

If he refuses to provide it then you refuse to pay for the feature as having any value when buying the car.

I'm looking at different used Tesla Model 3's to buy.
I've heard that Tesla might disable charging or autopilot features if you buy a Tesla from a 3rd party.
Is this true?
Is there a way to verify the car would be honored by Tesla if purchased?
I just bought a used M3P+ from Zoom. i don't think many used car dealership know a lot about the Tesla models and the different levels of features. Mine was advertised as a LR AWD but was actually a performance model. They supplied a few photos of some of the screens and I could tell that the car had the Navigate on Autopilot feature, meaning it had at least EAP. They did not indicate as much in their ad for the car. Once I received the car it did indeed come with EAP and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it also came with HomeLink (also not advertised). None of the features have been turned off by Tesla and I currently have a FSD upgrade option available for $4k. I have had several SC appointments to fix little thing I have found since taking ownership of the car and there have been no issues with warranty coverage.