Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row Access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think so. Maybe just one on another side you want to get in.

Attachments

• AE67C5C3-D525-4ABC-B158-FE7E82A14524.jpeg
    AE67C5C3-D525-4ABC-B158-FE7E82A14524.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn
So they expect people to crawl over the folded 2nd row to get to the 3rd row? That is a horrible design.

Even in other cars the 2nd row would fold and flip forward to allow better access.
I did not say that. As already mentioned here, most probably it will have same mechanism like all others. So you could have one child seat inside to get in.

But all these 3rd rows are just for children and even not for all of them. Since to put there a child seats won’t be convenient at all.

I would not pay 3k for it.

I would prefer to have the middle seat on the 2nd row to be removable as needed. Maybe small enough to stored in the trunk or frunk. Then it would act like 6 seater or 7 seater.

The 6 seater setup would make the 3rd row passengers a bit more comfortable. They can place their feet slightly to the middle of the 2nd row.

Ooo a 6 seat version would be pretty great.

Reactions: DanCar
If you want a decent comparison, go check out a new VW Tiguan with the third row seat. It’s basically useless.

Funny how useful it was for those couple of times we needed it. I think the "inconvenience" of getting in and out is being massively overplayed. Whether it's in the Tiguan or the Model Y, a 3rd row with 4 doors is no more useless than a 2 door with a back seat. You're making a compromise for the extra utility when needed.

If someone said they had a family where they needed 3 rows all the time, then I'd say the Model Y is probably not the car for you (or the Tiguan). Go buy a minivan, I guess?

But if the 3rd row is an occasional utility for a kid's friend, or the kids to sit when grandma and grandpa are in town for a few days, then that's a calculation you make. But I think there's a large grey area before you get to "useless".

True. I’m in the same situation. Once-twice a year I need a 7- seater.

But after some thinking I will not take 7-seater. The thing is, when I need 7seats I also need luggage for 7 people.

So my plan is always rent a small car for 1-2 weeks a year when I need 7seats.

It will take some years till I will spend 3k for it.

Last edited:
True. I’m in the same situation. Once-twice a year I need a 7- seater.

But after some thinking I will not take 7-seater. The thing is, when I need 7seats I also need luggage for 7 people.

So my plan is always rent a small car for 1-2 weeks a year when I need 7seats.

It will take some years till I will spend 3k for it.

Of course the solution here is roof storage, but the question is how much does the weight of 7 people, plus luggage, and the aerodynamic hit of a good sized storage box impact the Model Y's upper limit of 300mi range.

I initially ordered the Model Y with 7 seats, but realized as a decent sized crossover, it was never going to be able to completely replace the Tiguan, so I modified my order to the 5 seater.

I honestly still bounce back and forth between waiting for the Model Y or just getting a Model 3 now. I WANT the Model Y, but as the smaller "around town" vehicle I'm conflicted if I should save myself 15k and get an SR+ vs a DM LR Y, and use that money later for a Rivian R1S as the true Tiguan replacement.

Of course the solution here is roof storage, but the question is how much does the weight of 7 people, plus luggage, and the aerodynamic hit of a good sized storage box impact the Model Y's upper limit of 300mi range.

I initially ordered the Model Y with 7 seats, but realized as a decent sized crossover, it was never going to be able to completely replace the Tiguan, so I modified my order to the 5 seater.

I honestly still bounce back and forth between waiting for the Model Y or just getting a Model 3 now. I WANT the Model Y, but as the smaller "around town" vehicle I'm conflicted if I should save myself 15k and get an SR+ vs a DM LR Y, and use that money later for a Rivian R1S as the true Tiguan replacement.

The R1S would be the correct size, but without a real fast charging network and that huge battery, road trips will be miserably long.

Reactions: Big Earl
The R1S would be the correct size, but without a real fast charging network and that huge battery, road trips will be miserably long.

That's definitely on my mind. Whether it's the R1S or the VW Buzz (new Bug Bus) that my wife really likes the look of, both of them suffer for NOT being a Tesla exactly because of the known quantity of the charging network. We all hope that competition evolves on this point over the next few years, but we'll just have to see what actually happens.

Rivian seems like the type of scrappy startup that would actually take Elon up on his offer for 3rd parties to use their network, but I've never heard anything on that point from Rivian.

No, that is not a solution. Have you tried it?
Luggage for 7 people in roof box?
Impossible.

The answer to that question is entirely dependent on how long the trip is, what time of year, and how old the passengers are. Kids travel lighter. Shorter the trip means less clothes. Plus soft bags make loads of difference.

Last year my wife, me and our son were joined by my parents on a 3 day weekend trip. Everything but what we wanted in the car went in the box with room to spare. And there was almost nothing behind the 3rd row. So yeah, we could have had 7 people's stuff for the weekend. For a week? Maybe not. But a week with 2 adults and 4 kids between the box and behind the 3rd row... I'd say so.

Reactions: reardencode

Ummm...you won’t be getting any father of the year votes if your plan is to load your 7 person family into this car and go on a 300mi trip.

These third rows are basically a couple of extra seats that are used in rare instances where you have to get across town and with a few extra kids.

Let’s not try to make the Y into something it isn’t...a mini van.