Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 year MOT - Fail!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've never had a car fail an MOT at 4 years old, but there's a first time for everything!

1) Rear brake discs and pads need changing due to rust and disc fluctuation.
2) Rear upper suspension arm play - needs replacing

and an advisory for both front lower front suspension arms!

Car is out of warranty so a grand to pay if all done.

Already been advised that next year will need front brakes....

Bearing in mind that is has already had this work under warranty , are they that good in the quality dept?!

Rear bumper as delivered with a massive scratch
Rear boot loom
Upper Front suspension arms
2x rear spoilers
Front wing and bonnet respray

Feeling disappointed with Tesla tonight!

Brake corrosion issues are not uncommon and it's mainly die to owners not using the brakes enough and not keeping an eye on the state of them. Once corrosion sets in if it's not cleaned off it only gets worse and then you're in for a complete set of new discs and pads. Preventative maintenance is required, as on all cars.
Suspension bushes do wear relatively quicky on these cars it has to be said, but as your car is out of warranty you don't have to buy the parts from Tesla or get them to do the work. All the parts you need (maybe apart from the rear pads, which are a unique shape) can be bought aftermarket and there's nothing special required to do the work.

How many miles has it done?

Isn't this a thing in the US(? or somewhere...). I swear I read something about apply brakes when regenerative braking is reduced.
You need the brakes if you’ve charged up to 100% for a little bit as until it drops to 95% the regen braking is weaker due to the battery being too full.

I agree though that this is a common problem when you don’t use the brakes enough. The car should track this and apply them lightly on occasions to try to minimise it. It could use its intelligence that for instance you’re doing a regular trip where you’ll have tons of battery left over so a slight efficiency drop won’t be an issue. Still doubt it would be noticeable if done right.

Look around for brake skimming. That'll save you quite a bit.. about £60ish for both discs. I feel your pain with the back brakes. I used high regen for the first year, till I realised what it was doing to the rear discs. Now even on low regen only 25% of the rear discs are free of rust, despite regular burnishing and brake servicing. I'm about to try brake skimming before my next MOT in a months time.

You need the brakes if you’ve charged up to 100% for a little bit as until it drops to 95% the regen braking is weaker due to the battery being too full.
Yeah, I get that and apply my breaks periodically as I'm still getting back to grips with efficacy of regen when "rolling" up to a junction. But I thought that in the US they had rolled out a software advancement which applies the brakes if regen is limited - in effect simulating regen by using the brake pedal when regen is weak/unavailable.

Warranty or no - brakes and suspension arm wear is very unlikely to have been covered anyway.

Rear pads are £45 to £85 a set (all 4)- depending on if it is a performance or not
Rear discs from £45 to £108 each.
Rear suspension arm is about £50 a side.

So what £250+VAT in parts?

You are being ripped off with a £1000 quote for that work end of story. £750 of labour is taking the piss.

I
Look around for brake skimming. That'll save you quite a bit.. about £60ish for both discs. I feel your pain with the back brakes. I used high regen for the first year, till I realised what it was doing to the rear discs. Now even on low regen only 25% of the rear discs are free of rust, despite regular burnishing and brake servicing. I'm about to try brake skimming before my next MOT in a months time.
Exactly what I did, sadly.

It's fine getting discs skimmed but if they are that bad and you put the same pads back in which are worn unevenly, you'll get the same problems again before long. You need to either get the pads sanded off so you can re-bed them on the skimmed discs, or if the pads are really bad you're better off renewing them.
Lack of proper bedding from new is part of the problem with EVs.
Also, just for reference, brand new rear discs from Tesla are £95 +VAT each, so maybe not as expensive as some may think.

Warranty or no - brakes and suspension arm wear is very unlikely to have been covered anyway.

Rear pads are £45 to £85 a set (all 4)- depending on if it is a performance or not

You are being ripped off with a £1000 quote for that work end of story. £750 of labour is taking the piss.
Where are you getting those prices from? Rear pads for a M3P are £310 a set of 4, fronts are £166.
Show me where you can buy all 4 for £85 please!
ETA: source provided (below) - thank you!

Last edited:

I thought it was a pretty good price and possibly underpriced if all the work, incl. advisories were done.

I had lower front control arms done last year under warranty (visual, but no play issue found by Cleevely and fixed by Tesla) and that alone would have been around £600 - it included a full wheel alignment (and parts weren’t cheap either) - not sure what triggered that generosity - car always ran true and no uneven tyre wear at 2 x 15k (inspected, swapped and rotated twice a year) so can only assume Tesla were suspicious of what was causing control arm bushes to delaminate so needed to check (it was only a minor correction iirc).

That alone paid for full Cleevely EV inspection and brake service done just ahead of warranty expiring.

Where are you getting those prices from? Rear pads for a M3P are £310 a set of 2, fronts are £166.
Show me where you can buy all 4 for £85 please!
1708425081234.png

All four as in all four pads - single axle set

I wasn't pricing all four corners! He said he needed rears done only

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Both front lower control arms on the Model 3/Y are prone to the rubber bushes tearing or delaminating. There's a lot of force going through these bushes and the range of movement they have to deal with is part of the issue. If you only use your car in town or on good quality roads, or you drive like Miss Daisy, they'll last for years but for a lot of us these arms are going to need replacement every few years unless you upgrade them to something like Powerflex poly versions. Even going to metal spherical replacements isn't going to sort it forever as they wear out too.

My advice is if you are coming out of warranty soon, get all the suspension arms and knuckles examined as some may already be torn or worn enough to need replacement. If you're out of warranty, there are lots of choices in the aftermarket now, but I'd avoid anything that looks too good to be true price-wise and anything from no-name Chinese factories. Cleevely supply good quality OE-spec. arms made in Denmark, which are a very fair price.

Replacing any of these front arms does not mean you'll have to pay for a 4 wheel alignment. At the very most, you may have to have the front tweaked, but you shouldn't be paying for a 4 wheel alignment anywhere. Take it to a decent indy who should charge you a small amount to check and then price accordingly depending on the actual work carried out.
In any case, you can do the service test yourself for nothing to see if any alignment is required. It's called the EPAS test and is in the hidden service menu.

As costs are being discussed a lot in this thread, here are the Tesla Model 3 parts costs as of a couple of weeks ago:
All prices ex-VAT
Front Upper control arm (new version to fix the ball joint issue) £65.63 each side
Front lower compliance link £135.63 each side
Front lower lateral link £188.43 each side

Model 3 Performance brake parts:
Front discs £125
Rear discs £95.98
Front pads (axle set) £166
Rear pads (axle set) £310
There are some other additional parts needed which would add a bit more to this (springs, caliper bolts).
I just ran an estimate for all discs and pads to be replaced by Tesla and the total came to £1273.03 + VAT.

You can't get front M3P discs from anywhere other than Tesla currently. It's a bit easier for the M3LR, MY and MS/X as the calipers are used on other makes/models. Beware of typos on many motor factor websites. There are a lot of websites claiming to offer M3P front discs, when they are actually M3P rears or M3LR/SR discs. Same with pads. Even the likes of Brembo, who make them, have typos on their website!

But, as pointed out to me by M00cow, Cleevely do offer M3P pattern pads and rear discs and everything for the other models and you can save a lot of money if you go with those parts.

The work involved to change anything to do with the brakes or suspension arms is not at all difficult. If you have done car maintenance before you could do this. Any garage worthy of your business can do this sort of work. No special tools, diagnostics or ADAS calibrations required other than what you could do using the service tools built in to the car's software.

Hopefully that answers some questions but ask away if you have any more!

Last edited:
View attachment 1020041

All four as in all four pads - single axle set

I wasn't pricing all four corners! He said he needed rears done only
Looks like an apology is in order. I wasn't aware Cleevely were offering those pads, but I am now!
Another learning day and I'll amend my previous posts to withdraw my disparaging remarks!
Sorry :rolleyes: