Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 year old Model S or 1 year old Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 2017 Model S 75 and am quite happy with it but the miles are rolling up and it just feels to big. But there is almost nothing wrong with it and it has some nice features I'd like to keep as I debate trading it out for a newer Model 3.

Model S -
Cons: Has AP2 and MCU 1 so it could do with the computer upgrade and lots of the panels inside rattle but I figure I could take it to a repair place and get that fixed. Scuffed alloys
Pros: Enhanced Autopilot, unlimited supercharging, premium internet, insane amount of carrying space, pretty arachnid wheels.

Model 3 -
Cons: Some features aren't available, some are subscription or pay now, smaller carrying space
Pros: More modern, warranty, new features added, four wheel drive, longer range. Fits in the UK much better than the S.

From those that have owned both would you pay to upgrade the Model S or trade out for the 3? I think based on the private party resale value of the car, the extra to buy a 3 is about the same as the computers with some change for warranty-less repairs.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
When I first got my S I thought it was huge too .. but I don't any more. And in reality he overall size between 3 and S isn't very much but the 3 still manages to look tiny.
Have you test driven the 3?
Your decision is a difficult one that I’m going to face next year when my S hits 4. If we hit any sort of post covid normality then the free supercharging might start to be really worth it and go look at the world again and boot space becomes more important.
If you’ve actually passed warranty then further depreciation will be slowish and there's an argument for hanging on another couple of years and seeing how charger options change, what else is about or even look at 1 yr old plaids/Y's etc.

Get the MCU2 upgrade, you will than get pretty much all the stuff Tesla is releasing on the software side.

Noises, cannot help you, but assuming it's out of warranty the trim is easy to take apart and you can try to fix issues your self.

Size, am not sure why you would want to downgrade? Personally space is a premium in just about every part of life, cars are no different. With FSD beta coming at somepoint having visualisations separate on the dashboard leaving the main MCU screen for infotainment is a much better setup than the 3/Y.

As you also mentioned all the 'free for life' stuff bundled into the S/X, I hadn't realised SC costs were well over 20p/kWh!! The latest software announcement of Tesla incar WiFi is interesting, could mean I can run my daughters iPad off Tesla mobile data rather than my own for free. All small stuff but its noticeable stuff.

The biggest move Tesla have made recently is the introduction on a 'new' 85/90 kWh battery based on the 100D pack. Currently it costs £20k but Tesla have said prices will fall in the future, this essentially means Tesla WILL support older cars going ahead with battery swaps/upgrades. A S with one of these batteries isn't far of Model 3 LR range.

Ofcourse if you want to change just for the sake of change go for it. But am not sure why you would swap a S for a 3 as they are so similar, a Taycan or if you are feeling totally mad an used iPace seems much more interesting as a car swap.

The new S/X actually look very tempting despite their higher price, and uncertainty production plans. I plan to look into upgrading our 2017 X to either a new X or just getting a new battery pack in around 2025 :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
Just out of curiosity, is that information about the battery pack published anywhere by Tesla or is it from web articles from people "in the know".

I wish there was an easy pricelist on the web for things like MCU upgrades, replacement batteries etc.

i think i can answer this. i have been driving a 3 sr+ since march 2020. the last few weeks i have been driving a 2018 75d model s whilst my father is incapacitated :-(

when in the s the things i like/notice are:
-it is huge
-its is very much wider than the 3 and i fear kerbing
+it has fsd/eap and i like the noa on the motorway
+it is a LOT quieter in all aspects
+the sterio sound is a league better
++the smart air suspesion ride is buttery smooth
=except when hard acceerating out of a corner and it adjusts to low as you pass 50, this i notice with a slight front wheel skip.
-it feels very heavy
-the awd is very obvious, the extra mass of front motor effects turnin dynamics
+its faster but - doesnt necessarily feel so.
+truely cavernous boot space
+powered boot lid. (but hey on the wifes smax i can wiggle a foot to open it)
—why no storage in door pockets. my children miss this (they rate my monedo and wifes smax as best cars ever because of proper pocket in doors that fit water bottles)
+++my 3 kids sit across the back and dont squabble on long journeys
+free supercharging. - it charges slower than the sr+. (range on both about the same)
+the screen behind the steering wheel is great
-the main screen is laggy and slow. i think its been upgraded not sure how to check
=i waft long in more comfortable seats
+i like having traditional wiper stalk controls
-there is a front suspension rattle sound sometimes. not sure what it is. dads harder of hearing and doesnt notice
+i notice at SC’s the neaveaux new boys in m3’s respecting looks of the s and of being a real proper first adopter
-kids on the street dont shout way tesla as they dont instantly recognise it as one. (facelift 2018 model in silver)
-i can only get 4miles per hour added by a 3pin plug
+proper key fob

when in the 3 things i like/notice:
++wholy *sugar* this thing is nimble
+lightweight i mean 1600kg really is lightweight for a modern car
-i miss the noa/fsd as ap on motorway wont let you change lanes with out turning off. too many bongs
+the light front as no awd makes for real nimbleness
+the sprung suspension gives more feedback on what the car is doing at any point
=its noiser and ride not so smooth/compliant
+feels faster / pickup is quicker
+i drive it more like a teenager/dickhead
-the wiper controls are truely *sugar*.
+all kids notice, some still shout tesla cool car though this is decreasing now so many about
-mines a white sr+, at sc’s you get the downward glance from m3p or lr’s. but if its a lr why you still at the sc on the motorway then oh the sr+ range is totally adequate for 99pc of uk journeys. (should a get a src and kept the extra cash!)
+i like the rwd feel compared to awd. (in fact if feels a lot like my old alfa 75 3.0 cloverleaf but way less rattly)
+the touchscreen is way faster
-manual non powered boot lid.
-the 3’sr sound system is poor. id go as far as inadequate for a 40k car.
—my 3 kids squabble sat across the back as they end up rubbing sholders and getting in each others space.
+i can get 10miles per hour off a 10amp 3pin plug.
-i had to fork out for a proper key fob, the bluetooth phone thing a pia as either apps updated and need login etc
-pay for supercharging but hey its 7quid to fill, what am i moaning about!

hope that helps. dad looked at px his s for a 3, the price tesla gave was funnily enough 42k or give us your s you can have a new 3. both cars above are at about 20kmiles

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
I currently have a 2017 Model S 75 and am quite happy with it but the miles are rolling up and it just feels to big. But there is almost nothing wrong with it and it has some nice features I'd like to keep as I debate trading it out for a newer Model 3.

Model S -
Cons: Has AP2 and MCU 1 so it could do with the computer upgrade and lots of the panels inside rattle but I figure I could take it to a repair place and get that fixed. Scuffed alloys
Pros: Enhanced Autopilot, unlimited supercharging, premium internet, insane amount of carrying space, pretty arachnid wheels.

Model 3 -
Cons: Some features aren't available, some are subscription or pay now, smaller carrying space
Pros: More modern, warranty, new features added, four wheel drive, longer range. Fits in the UK much better than the S.

From those that have owned both would you pay to upgrade the Model S or trade out for the 3? I think based on the private party resale value of the car, the extra to buy a 3 is about the same as the computers with some change for warranty-less repairs.

Any thoughts?
Yep, I think you have the best already. Well, you need to get the MCU2 upgrade and you are set. I don't want to retype or paste my comment from another thread, (because they don't like that), so, let me give you a link to it. Please read my post #15.
I think you already have the best car.

Maybe if you go sweet talk the sales folks at a store, they will let you take a 3 for a full day or weekend. Drive it, maybe it will help you.

I hope it works out well for you. Whatever you do, please PM me so I know what you did.

I went from a 2015 S70D to a M3LR. I don't regret the change.

For me, the thing I miss the least is the turning circle the S had. Sometimes it felt like I was manoeuvring an oil tanker. (Where we live cars inevitably double park and getting in/out of our drive can be a nightmare).

Like you, I found the space and carrying capacity in the S to be fantastic but the 3 has been pretty good so far. I was anxious about ride quality and road noise but have been pleasantly surprised by both in the M3 (My S was on coil springs). The performance and drivability of the 3 is a step up from the S and is something I think I would miss if I went back again.

My S was still on MCU1 and the display was beginning to get a bit flakey, more than that the car overall did feel a bit dated. Being out of warranty was also a concern more generally. I also had concerns about potential fit and finish problems on the 3 having read so much about it, but in the event I can't fault the car. Definitely a step up from my S which did have a few 'imperfections' my eye was always drawn to (Miss-aligned chrome trim, rear windows out of 'plane' with the front windows and inconsistent panel gaps).

Lastly, the improved range and in particular the efficiency are real benefits.

I still look at the S's for sale just out of interest but don't see myself going back there.

...Like you, I found the space and carrying capacity in the S to be fantastic but the 3 has been pretty good so far.
Funny you mention that. I remember watching a Youtube video of a guy that was bragging about the space in an S. This was even before the X. He showed how he too his full S, with luggage like they were going to the airport, and tried to put it all in his Lincoln Navigator. He could not get all that came out of the S, into the Navigator. It was a hoot. Wish I could find that one again.