Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

407 ETR Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried it (by hand) in that location and orientation and it worked! Thanks for the tip. I guess I can peel and stick those Velcro fasteners now!

For reference purposes, here is a picture of the configuration that seems to work for at least 2 of us! I know the picture is not the best, but I think that you get the idea. :)

Attachments

• IMG_00000379.jpg
    IMG_00000379.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,929
I'm guessing the antenna is in the upper left corner when you mount it in that orientation...

Must be. I had tried it horizontally as well as vertically, but by chance, the other way around. The 407 folks want you to mount it this way:

ScreenShot003.jpg

... but the problem with this is that the mirror's light sensor is on the driver's side (was on my Caddy too) and that far down on the windshield is blocked by the coating.

Guys, I called 407 and told them my transponder is not working. I used 3 different transponders just to make sure. I had them add my plate to the list so that I will never get charged the video toll fee. I don't need to have a transponder in the car anymore.

Guys, I called 407 and told them my transponder is not working. I used 3 different transponders just to make sure. I had them add my plate to the list so that I will never get charged the video toll fee. I don't need to have a transponder in the car anymore.

Did you try it the way dj905 recommends? I've been using it in that orientation and it's been working reliably. I also called to report it not working, but as colinb points out, the 407-ETR can be a hassle to deal with, and you may end up in disputes over video toll charges with them.

Did you try it the way dj905 recommends? I've been using it in that orientation and it's been working reliably. I also called to report it not working, but as colinb points out, the 407-ETR can be a hassle to deal with, and you may end up in disputes over video toll charges with them.

I tried it yesterday and it didn't work again. I'm going to stick with them having flagged my account.

I tried it yesterday and it didn't work again. I'm going to stick with them having flagged my account.

There are a couple of different styles of 407 transponders (I've had 3 over the years) and the one I use now is relatively new. It may be that you have a different model. I have my account flagged too, but discovered with dj905's recommendation that I actually could get it to work.

Tried it oriented with lights down and it did not beep while exiting the 407. Hmmmmmm. Perhaps I put it too close to the roof as the instructions say at least 5cm away.

Does your transponder look like the one in this post? Mine has been working quite reliably in this orientation... as recently as yesterday evening. I haven't actually mounted it yet, but I reach up and hold it directly against the headliner and the mirror mount just like the picture shows. (Of course, it has to be there both when you enter and exit the 407).

Yes. Cant get it to work at all. I'll call them.

Took two trips on the 407 yesterday... one trip worked and the other didn't.

I had a Video Toll Charge on my last bill, and they were very good at waiving it and said they'd flag me in future as having a blocked windshield. I'll have to keep an eye out for my next bill and see if they live up to that based on yesterday's transponder failure.

I think there is a solution - the Tesla Models S 60 loaner I have has the transponder attached to the rear hatch glass toward the roof, which might work. I have not had a chance to try this position yet. However, its actually convenient having your car flagged and never having to worry about it working.

I think there is a solution - the Tesla Models S 60 loaner I have has the transponder attached to the rear hatch glass toward the roof, which might work. I have not had a chance to try this position yet. However, its actually convenient having your car flagged and never having to worry about it working.

I had considered that, but the 407 literature says not to. I find that by holding it the "special way" next to the mirror, it will work most of the time. My plates are flagged and I have never again received a Video Toll Charge. I like the rear window rather than behind the nose cone because it would get awfully cold there, and you would never know if it actually worked or not since you can't hear the beep or see the lights.

Tried something different today. I got the idea from a friend of mine who just leaves his transponder inside a compartment on the top of his dash where it seems to work just fine... even from behind the plastic lid.

I tossed mine on top of the rear cargo shelf to see if it would work through the (uncoated) back glass and it did! Even sliding all over the cargo shelf as I cornered. I'll try it a few more times from the rear and then, if it continues to work, will figure some way to fasten it down onto the shelf.