Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S - FasTrak Toll Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new here. I've searched through many postings about windshield toll tag location but still have a question. In the SF Bay area we use a FasTrak CAV Flex pass, FasTrak made a point of telling me to be sure to install it in the correct location because they have lots of problems with transponders not working on Teslas.

The manual for my 2023 Model S shows the mounting location in the lower right corner of the windshield, it does not show a location near the mirror. Our Flex pass requires use of a sliding switch to set the number of occupants, which makes the lower right location unusable. Prior Model S version manuals show the mounting location to the right of the rear view mirror, which many posts discuss.

Two questions:
Is there something different about 2021+ models that make the mirror location unusable?
Also a little concerned that if I try it up there and it doesn't work, will removing the adhesive strips damage the metal coating on the windshield?

I live in New York and have an EZ Pass transponder on my windshield to the right of the rear view mirror in my 22 Model S. It works without problems. I think the older cars had instaclear windshields with the metal film, but I don't see any signs of that in the current models. They now seem to use air blown up from the bottom edge of the glass instead. I also have a radar detector mounted to the left of the mirror and it also works fine. If there was a metal film defroster in the glass, that wouldn't work, either.

Here's the bit from the owner's manual for my 2020 Model S, which gives the reason for a special location:

Model S has a metallic coating on the windshield that can interfere with signals sent from RFID transponders used by many toll systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders

Search your 2023 manual for "transponder" or "RFID" to see if it explains the reasoning for its lower-right mounting location.

Fascinating. By omission it seems there isn't a metallic coating in this model and that the preferred location for a transponder is more of a recommendation than requirement. I found the section of in the 2012-2020 manual that Radio Kid quoted. Under the same heading in the 2021+ manual it now says:

"When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model S, place the transponder on the bottom corner of the passenger side of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view."

Fair enough location for a transponder that doesn't have a switch. Since mine does I'm going to put it next to the mirror.

For a first use of this forum, excellent and incredibly prompt responses. Thank you all!

Reactions: Radio Kid
Fascinating. By omission it seems there isn't a metallic coating in this model and that the preferred location for a transponder is more of a recommendation than requirement. I found the section of in the 2012-2020 manual that Radio Kid quoted. Under the same heading in the 2021+ manual it now says:

"When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model S, place the transponder on the bottom corner of the passenger side of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view."

Fair enough location for a transponder that doesn't have a switch. Since mine does I'm going to put it next to the mirror.

For a first use of this forum, excellent and incredibly prompt responses. Thank you all!
Did you try it in by the mirror in your 2023, and does it work? I have the same dilemma, and the instructions for the toll tag in our area also say to mount it to the right of the mirror.

Yes, it seems to. I mounted it on the passengers side of the mirror about an inch from the top of the windshield and an inch from the camera housing. I only attached it there about two weeks ago but since then, a couple of tolls have come through to my Fastback account for Bay Area bridges and express lanes. In the account it reports how the toll was captured, either by license plate number or toll tag number. In all cases since installing it, it read the toll tag.

• Helpful
Reactions: maximizese
It's been a mixed bag with our 2013 Model S. initially tried placing it between the dash and windshield by the driver side and passenger side resulting in the toll captured by license plate and no free ride. Then we trying flipping it upside-down with mixed results. But my wife would hold it up by the rearview mirror on the upper part/center-right on the windshield and it appears to be the best location. We've probably spent about $80 on tolls that should have been free along the 110fwy, but we chalk it up to sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

The EZpass works off and on for on my 20 S when I first got a car. I even got the EZpass replaced and it still have the issue. I put mine at the bottom of windshield/dashboard meet. It works flawlessly after that.

We put the TollTag for our 2023 to the right of the mirror, as recommended by the TollTag people. It seems to be working so far. It opened the gate at DFW airport last week, which is a good test because those gates are finicky and do not have a license-plate camera fallback.